I noted on the VIDEO GAME thread that I was participating in a Backlog Attack--an effort to get through some of the games that have been building up in my inventory. With Humble Bundles, sick multiple platforms, and an actual job that people pay me money for; I am officially spoiled for choice with respect to my gaming hobby.
I try to spread my Attack across platforms. It's easy to just keep playing ROCKET LEAGUE or DIABLO 3 on the PS4 (so fresh!), so I spent some time figuring out what to play and spread the love. I should note, I am not not playing other games, but I am trying to make a dent on these titles that I would otherwise ignore for longer.
- P.T. for PS4 -- Horror title, a good one, I hear. I don't play horror titles in general. Last was probably DEADLY PREMONITION and I doubt that counts. I played RESIDENT EVIL 4--again, probably not counitng.
- BIT.TRIP RUNNER 2 for WiiU -- I love platformers, and enjoy runners, and I really dig Bit-Trip's vibe. I picked this up in the Nintendo Humble Bundle, and was hoping I'd see some FATties in the leaderboards. Not disappointed. (But they will be when they see me standing over them.)
- DESTINY for PS4 -- Friend got this for me and I mostly want to see what all the fuss is. Trying to go in without opinions. I have heard the narration is bad, there are like seven currencies, and some NPC sold a rocket launcher I should be sad about missing out on because I didn't start earlier.
- THE SWAPPER for Vita -- Good puzzle game, and creepy space vibe. I am a good 1/2 to 2/3 through I think and want to wrap this up.
- CAPTAIN TOAD'S TREASURE TRACKER -- Adorable from what I have seen my kids play of it. Good palate cleanser from P.T. I am hoping.
I was going to start DESTINY last night, but it needed a 7 GB file and my shitty Internet needs an all-nighter for that kind of job. So I opted to spend some time with P.T. instead, which I'd started the other day. I finished the game. Spoilers ahoy in this paragraph, I guess, but the game is old and you can't even buy it anymore, so fuck off. This game is actually super scary! I was expecting some jump scares and some video game gore, and it does that, but it's also just plain disturbing. Really good use of sound and lighting effects bring an extra element of genuine horror. The setting helps too. See, I so rarely enter dilapidated mental hospitals that it's hard for me to feel super invested in whatever happens in there. But walking down a hallway, and being a generic white dad? I do that shit all the time! The bugs are a little creepy, the bathroom is scary, but that fucking fridge is what freaked me out. I ended up getting stuck in this eternal red level where I think I was a ghost or something and needed a FAQ to get me through. That's right before the end of the game, so I had the FAQ there helping me to finish up. The ending can be hard to trigger, so I was getting looser and looser as I tried to coax the game into baby giggles (it's a thing). I would zoom in on this or that and walk here or thHOLY FUCK A DEMON GHOST FUCKING GRABBED AND KILLED ME. I'd played this game for like three hours and never been "attacked." I guess I was good at noting the changes turn over turn, because I had seen the ghost a couple of times and it kept its distance. But holy shit I was not ready for it to fucking grab me while futzing with a door for the umpteeth time. Gooseflesh all over, bleagh. I finally got my giggles and got the fuck out of there. I read that SILENT HILLS won't be made, and that's too bad, because this was scary as hell.
I am through about a world and a half in BIT.TRIP RUNNER 2. I went back to get some better scores and smack SaMoKo and Sanildefanso off a few perches on the leaderboard, too. I'll need to stick with this one because I think walking away for too long will be bad for my timing. It's basically a rhythm game with a nice sense of humor and cool unlockables. I am currently a Reverse Merman and have beaten two Pitfall levels, to give you an idea. I am surprised they got the Reverse Merman's testicular jiggle physics OK'd by Nintendo. They are flopping around out there like cantaloupes in a shopping bag. I should note, the music is so good I checked the credits--Disasterpeace. Why am I even surprised? Best in the biz.
I am going to keep at these games, ideally beating them all by November or so. I would love to hear comments or updates on your own Attacks.