October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's Talk Talisman

More
04 Mar 2012 17:02 - 04 Mar 2012 17:13 #118343 by engineer Al
Replied by engineer Al on topic Re: Let's Talk Talisman
All this Talisman talk motivated me to go looking for the original version of the document I posted originally. Incredible how much effort we put into making the City Expansion work properly before we just abandoned it all together. I should note that most of this document was written by the infamous "Bad" Dan Raspler before he became an Editor/Writer for DC Comics.

Attachment Talisman.pdf not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Mar 2012 17:13 by engineer Al.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2012 19:28 #118346 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Re: Let's Talk Talisman
After playing Talisman 4th edition for a few years I've only come up with a few basic rules that we tend to follow.

1) Always use the reaper...he is awesome.

2) Only include one mini expansion's adventure cards to the base game. While it sucks to sort through the adventure deck after each game it gives you a very specific "feel/theme" each time you play.

3) All characters can be used...no exceptions. If someone draws an OP character, deal with it!

4) Always use the Warlock Quest Deck from all expansions.

5) Always use all of the spells from all of the expansion.

6) To "level up" it only costs 5/6 points of trophies (depends on the amount of players).

7) Use the base games winning conditions (these tend to generate the most fun).

That's all I can think of at the moment. My favorite thing is using the different mini expansion's adventure decks. In the wintertime the Frostmarch expansion feels like a nice thematic touch. Around Halloween the Reaper (or the recently announced Blood Moon) will do nicely. Plus it keeps things fresh and makes each time you play it unique.

We rarely use the larger expansions because they take up so much damn table space. Also if you play with less than four, players tend to get too spread out. I don't like lowering the player interaction. I have the Dragon Expansion, but I've yet to play it. It looks cool though.

I'm glad FFG is still supporting this edition. As long as they keep pumping out expansions, I'll keep buying them.

More
04 Mar 2012 20:04 #118349 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re: Let's Talk Talisman
I sure love me some TALISMAN.

While we're all sharing, here's the house rules I like to use:
-remove all Talismans from the adventure deck
-trade in at 5 points
-everyone starts with one or two quest cards, or we use the Warlock's Quests alt. ending
-you can stop your movement at the village or city if you are planning on healing or getting rid of the hag (not being able to stop at the village when you need to is the most frustrating part of Talisman, IMO)
-(in the dungeon) 3 gold on each vault space and treasure chamber at the start of the game
-you cannot cast a spell on the same turn that you draw it (more clear than the normal rule "you can only cast an amount of spells on your turn as the number of spells you had when you started the turn")
-I have pulled out some of the more lame and un-fun cards from the adventure deck (e.g. Dungeon doors, the magician, and a couple creatures, strangers, and objects)
-use the Dragon Realm, even without the other Dragon expansion stuff (it's just better balanced than the original inner region)

I'm also considering making a "space extender" for the City that adds a slightly more expensive stables to it at the start of the game, since it's pretty lame when the stables deck doesn't get used all game because the stables card never came out.

Still trying to figure out how to incorporate the dragon cards without drawing dragon tokens (I have a few ideas).

More
05 Mar 2012 15:45 - 05 Mar 2012 17:32 #118392 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Let's Talk Talisman

Egg Shen wrote: 1) Always use the reaper...he is awesome.

2) Only include one mini expansion's adventure cards to the base game. While it sucks to sort through the adventure deck after each game it gives you a very specific "feel/theme" each time you play.

1) Indeed.

2) I'd suggest keeping the base and expansion cards in two separate decks (with their own discard piles) on the table. When a player needs to draw an adventure card have them alternate between the base deck and the expansion deck. Yeah, it's a little forced where every other adventure card they draw will be from the expansion, but it guarantees a good split of themed cards, plus super easy for set-up and tear down.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2012 17:32 by Mr. White.

More
05 Mar 2012 16:17 - 05 Mar 2012 16:19 #118393 by Mr. White
Doesn't sound like many use the Quest Reward deck. I haven't. Am I missing out?
Last edit: 05 Mar 2012 16:19 by Mr. White.

More
05 Mar 2012 21:07 #118411 by engineer Al
Replied by engineer Al on topic Re: Let's Talk Talisman

Egg Shen wrote: 1) Always use the reaper...he is awesome.

It's funny to me that people seem to agree on this. I have NEVER used the Reaper, mostly because it is such a major deviation from the Talisman I knew and loved (2nd Edition) that I didn't even want to know about it. I will have to read the rules again and try him in a game.

More
05 Mar 2012 22:23 #118416 by evilgit
Replied by evilgit on topic Re: Let's Talk Talisman

Jeff White wrote: Doesn't sound like many use the Quest Reward deck. I haven't. Am I missing out?

We frequently play with the Warlock Quest alternate ending. (You must complete four Warlock Quests before entering the inner region)

And like most people here, I imagine, have removed all Talismans from the basic Adventure deck.

More
06 Mar 2012 14:06 - 06 Mar 2012 14:12 #118444 by SGT Dave
Replied by SGT Dave on topic Re: Let's Talk Talisman

evilgit wrote:

Jeff White wrote: Doesn't sound like many use the Quest Reward deck. I haven't. Am I missing out?

We frequently play with the Warlock Quest alternate ending. (You must complete four Warlock Quests before entering the inner region)

And like most people here, I imagine, have removed all Talismans from the basic Adventure deck.

Yes. When we play, getting a Talisman is not based on luck. Our rules are: you must complete your 3 random Warlock quests, then you're transported to the Warlock Cave and get a Talisman. The alternative method is to defeat the Eagle King or the Lord of Darkness. This will get you a Talisman and teleported to the Portal of Power.

We got the Dragon last Christmas, but I haven't figured out how to integrate it into the rest of our style of playing.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2012 14:12 by SGT Dave.

More
06 Mar 2012 14:50 #118449 by Mr. White
Right, I use the Warlock Quest cards (red) but have only given out a Talisman when they're done.

I'm referring to the Quest Reward deck (purple). Are you guys dolling these out as quests are completed?

More
07 Mar 2012 04:16 #118558 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re: Let's Talk Talisman
I use them. I like them. They give you a nice incentive to complete more quests.

More
07 Mar 2012 05:53 #118562 by Ancient_of_MuMu
What expansion are the warlock quests in? I only have the base game and have never heard of them.

More
24 Sep 2016 11:45 #234918 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Re: Let's Talk Talisman
REVIVAL!

I made my custom Fate and Reaper cards for Talisman 3e available. I also just finished a rules summary for Talisman 4e with all the expansions.

Both are available at my usual Google Drive spot .

Next phase of the Talisman 4e project: Working out the logistics of themed Adventure decks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, drewcula

More
24 Sep 2016 12:48 #234919 by Mr. White
Wade, did you make all those summaries?

The best i came up with for themed decks, and I agree I think that's the best way to go, is to keep the expansion deck separated. For example, say it's fall and you want to incorporate Blood Moon. You have the regular adventure decks around the table, but you also have the Blood Moon adventure cards on their own. Every second or third adventure card pull a player makes comes from the expansion deck. This should do two things:

1) make sure that the relevant expansion flavor makes it into the game somewhat frequently
2) keeps the decks separated for easy cleanup at the end as players just put the cards in the right decks

It seems mixing the cards all together can dilute the experience and is a logistical hassle, but I'd love to hear what others come up with.

More
24 Sep 2016 13:06 #234920 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Re: Let's Talk Talisman
Yeah, making those summaries helps me remember the rules and gives me an easy point of reference when I bust out a game I haven't played in a while. I use other peoples' reference sheets for some games, but it's more helpful to me to make my own.

I like the occasional expansion card pull idea, but I still think I'm going to try my hand at making complete themed decks. I'll maybe do an article about it depending how it goes. My thought is to chart out the base adventure deck distribution, the all decks distribution, and each expansion distribution, and see what kind of flexibility I have to make themed decks without making some of them hideously unbalanced.

More
24 Sep 2016 13:19 #234921 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Let's Talk Talisman
Here's a question. How long do you think that it will it take GW to re-release a new version of Talisman and its expansions?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds