October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2650 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's Talk Talisman

More
24 Sep 2016 13:49 - 24 Sep 2016 14:26 #234922 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Let's Talk Talisman
I'd guess a few years. Looking forward to a made in UK talisman again...

...not sure it should be in Age of Sigmar though.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2016 14:26 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2016 16:43 #234925 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Re: Let's Talk Talisman

MattLoter wrote:

stormseeker75 wrote: I want an adventure game. It's this, Runebound, or WoW TAG. I think Runebound is right out for taking too **** long.

Apples and oranges and Blood for the Blood God!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Nodens

More
24 Sep 2016 20:18 #234928 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Re: Let's Talk Talisman
We'll at a minimum be hearing rumblings of a new Talisman by the end of 2017. It's one of GW's most recognizable properties with the most nostalgic baggage attached. They won't sit on it.

I'm really interested to see what they do, too. But I'm concerned it won't be a self-contained board game, because that just isn't GW's modus operandi on their Name Brands.

Here's my preposterous statement for September:. We'll have more info about the Talisman 5e app than the components prior to release.

More
24 Sep 2016 21:04 #234930 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Let's Talk Talisman
There's so much saturation of Talisman now that it may be time for a "big box" special edition release with the existing expansions bundled upon which GW can charge a fortune up front by also providing better miniatures that will strong-arm fans of the game to give up their previous editions in favor of a new one. Thereafter, once they suck you in, they'll nickle and dime you to death on future expansions, single cards, single miniatures, dice, and electronic apps with IAP's.

More
24 Sep 2016 21:14 - 24 Sep 2016 21:16 #234931 by Mr. White
I wouldn't think that GW will bundle up the FFG edition of the game. I think those are done with the expiration of their contract.

I'd guess it would be _very_ much like their 3rd edition. One base game and two expansions providing the four corners. GW wants to sell minis not small boxes with cards (reaper, blood moon, etc). I can see them doing the base and one or two expansions, but the minis in all of these would be good quality and compatible with something. Also, maybe an app/card deck like Silver Tower to use other figures with Talisman.

I would guess they'd want to continue promoting AoS, I don't follow the AoS setting enough to know if a Talisman like game is viable. Would characters go adventuring around a countryside? Maybe it's more like Relic or something where each space is another realm in the universe as opposed to a part of the countryside?

Either way, I don't see them going with the same format that FFG did.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2016 21:16 by Mr. White.

More
24 Sep 2016 22:14 #234933 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Let's Talk Talisman

stoic wrote: There's so much saturation of Talisman now that it may be time for a "big box" special edition release with the existing expansions bundled upon which GW can charge a fortune up front by also providing better miniatures that will strong-arm fans of the game to give up their previous editions in favor of a new one.

Pretty sure this won't happen. I've been prying around FFG for a Talisman Big Box and a Cosmic Encounter Big Box for at least a year, and it's something they aren't planning. Even though GW has the name rights, they don't have the rights to repackage FFG's efforts either so I don't see it happening.

stoic wrote: Thereafter, once they suck you in, they'll nickle and dime you to death on future expansions, single cards, single miniatures, dice, and electronic apps with IAP's.

I believe this is how they'll launch the game initially, without the "Thereafter" part.

Mr. White wrote: I'd guess it would be _very_ much like their 3rd edition. One base game and two expansions providing the four corners. GW wants to sell minis not small boxes with cards (reaper, blood moon, etc). I can see them doing the base and one or two expansions, but the minis in all of these would be good quality and compatible with something. Also, maybe an app/card deck like Silver Tower to use other figures with Talisman.

I would guess they'd want to continue promoting AoS, I don't follow the AoS setting enough to know if a Talisman like game is viable. Would characters go adventuring around a countryside? Maybe it's more like Relic or something where each space is another realm in the universe as opposed to a part of the countryside?

Either way, I don't see them going with the same format that FFG did.

I don't think we'll be lucky enough to get something like 3rd edition. I think the way of Silver Tower is the future of the GW ever-expanding product line. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but all-in-one expansions just isn't something I see GW doing. The basic format may be there, but if you want it all you'll need to preorder through your local GW store to get that unique character card and so on and so on.

The theme: They're doing a new Blood Bowl without forcing Sigmar onto it, so I can see them leaving Talisman to its own universe as well. It has never really fit into their other universes so it would be weird to start with that now.

More
24 Sep 2016 22:22 #234934 by Mr. White
I might agree regarding BB, but the difference there is that BB has a very successful computer game going on. I'm sure the success of that has more to do with GW keeping it in the 'old bb' setting than anything else. Also, BB attendance at the WC has grown each year. No way would GW want to create brand confusion by changing up the setting in the new edition.

Talisman, is sort of generic, and though it has that app game I don't think it's nearly as popular as the BB video game nor is there any sort of tournament scene. Much like WHQ, it's a strong name, but pretty much a clean slate to do what you want. there's no large list of video or tournament players that will be upset if the Talisman setting changes.

You may be right in that it stays generic, but if GW needs to continue to boost Sigmarines...dropping some in Talisman wouldn't hurt. New Timescape, maybe?

More
24 Sep 2016 22:34 #234936 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Let's Talk Talisman
Maybe. TaliSigmar wouldn't be all bad, it would make about as much sense as anything else that GW has done with Talisman.

I think my opinions and predictions are coloured by a desire to see singular games like Talisman not tied into another product line for promotional purposes. I mean, I can have a little hope, can't I?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, stoic

More
25 Sep 2016 02:54 #234937 by Dr. Lao
Replied by Dr. Lao on topic Let's Talk Talisman
Personally, I'd look forward to an AoS Talisman. GW loves crossovers with its current leadership so my Silver Tower heroes will expand the game on Day 1. Just like how the Gorchosen game I'll pick up in a few weeks will expand Silver Tower and give me a game. At present I'd rather buy from GW because I pick up a model and there is more and more chance I can use it for different game, those 14 expansions for Talisman with an all-in MSRP closing in on $500 including the base game just means I have $500 worth of Talisman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Frohike

More
25 Sep 2016 15:16 - 25 Sep 2016 15:19 #234944 by Mr. White
Damn, Dr. Lao....are you on the GW payroll?

This is the latest in a series of posts you've dropped that makes me walk away thinking GW has the best release model...

I'm pretty much a GW apologist, but I've rarely ever thought they were doing smart business. Now I'm thinking otherwise.

Who are you? ;)

EDIT: i'm considering silver tower now where once I thought I'd chase advanced heroquest...
Last edit: 25 Sep 2016 15:19 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
25 Sep 2016 20:44 #234946 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Let's Talk Talisman
If Talisman returns to its 2nd ed beautiful rolling hills and plains setting, I'll probably get it. If AoS, probably no, thank you. It's not that I hate AoS, it's just for me Talisman has to be somwhat whimsical. Of all the changes made by FFG, my only issue is with the perspective change to top down view on the map.

More
25 Sep 2016 21:29 #234947 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Let's Talk Talisman
1) Can I roll my own Reaper expansion?

2) If I just buy the Black Industries version am I good?

3) Is it really that good, or is it just "I'm letting myself get whipped into a frenzy by F:Atties" good?

I thank you.

More
25 Sep 2016 21:43 #234948 by Dr. Lao
Replied by Dr. Lao on topic Let's Talk Talisman

Mr. White wrote: Damn, Dr. Lao....are you on the GW payroll?

At times I wish! Have you heard the discount they get?
But that'd just lead to my kin suffocating under unassembled plastic.

More
25 Sep 2016 22:12 #234952 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Let's Talk Talisman

cranaic wrote: 1) Can I roll my own Reaper expansion?

3) Is it really that good, or is it just "I'm letting myself get whipped into a frenzy by F:Atties" good?

I thank you.

Before you get sucked into purchasing the now unobtainium Talisman arising out of the GW/FFG Apocalypse, why don't you play Talisman on IOS a bit? Thereafter, you can decide if rolling one D6 and then deciding to go either left or right is your thing for the clams that you'd have to pay now to get it. ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
25 Sep 2016 23:17 #234953 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Let's Talk Talisman

stoic wrote:

cranaic wrote: 1) Can I roll my own Reaper expansion?

I thank you.

Before you get sucked into purchasing the now unobtainium Talisman arising out of the GW/FFG Apocalypse, why don't you play Talisman on IOS a bit? Thereafter, you can decide if rolling one D6 and then deciding to go either left or right is your thing for the clams that you'd have to pay now to get it. ;-)

Good idea. I think I have a Steam copy. I've seen a copy of the base game for $25.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds