Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

TOPIC: Wings of War / Wings of Glory Support Group

Wings of War / Wings of Glory Support Group 07 Feb 2016 12:28 #221905

I don't even think F:ATties love rolling dice enough to do that.
  • Gary Sax
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2298
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Wings of War / Wings of Glory Support Group 07 Feb 2016 13:17 #221907

There aren't even any dice.

Too big. They're just a vanity purchase as far as I'm concerned.
  • Sagrilarus
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2365
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mad Dog

Wings of War / Wings of Glory Support Group 07 Feb 2016 13:25 #221909

Ha, that's right! Wings uses those cards.
  • Gary Sax
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2298

Wings of War / Wings of Glory Support Group 12 Jun 2017 12:08 #249743

To bump an old post. What is a good starter set for WW1?

To be fully open about it, if the game is as great as yall say and plays quickly. I plan on getting a couple of the WW1 starter sets, then build wooden planes and play a larger scale game in the garden. There is a guy up north that plays a version of Boxkites with biplanes made out of clothespins every 4th of July. His game is a bit too complicated for most of the folk who come to parties at my house (its like a simplified Starfleet battles), so something like Wings of Glory would be perfect. Even if I have to make big templates out of wire or foam.

I played my first few xwing games in well over a year last weekend and think I am done with it. I read alot of EU and still didnt know half of the ships... Id much rather fly some biplanes and eventually move into WW2.
  • fastbilly1
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 73

Wings of War / Wings of Glory Support Group 12 Jun 2017 12:35 #249744

The two Duel Packs are a great choice to start, should come in under $50 at the discount houses for both if you want to go big. That's four planes and double the damage decks for them if you buy both. Either one on its own is good playing as well.

www.coolstuffinc.com/p/185455
www.coolstuffinc.com/p/185454

I like flying matching models of planes in pairs, so you can buy one Duel Pack and then buy a matching single for each of the two planes in the Duel Pack. Likely about the same price as buying the two Duel Packs, maybe a couple of bucks cheaper.

www.coolstuffinc.com/p/184169
www.coolstuffinc.com/p/184161
www.coolstuffinc.com/p/184173
www.coolstuffinc.com/p/184165

If you really like the game you can go for the Rules & Accessories Pack, but that is something I'd purchase after being sure you enjoy the game first.
  • Sagrilarus
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2365
Last Edit: 12 Jun 2017 12:37 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, fastbilly1

Wings of War / Wings of Glory Support Group 13 Jun 2017 14:54 #249811

Thats what I figured Sag. I bought both the starters to get all four decks.
  • fastbilly1
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D4

Wings of War / Wings of Glory Support Group 14 Jun 2017 22:45 #249909

I haven't logged into the aerodrome in a while but I still have a shit tonne of product. Probably 2k worth all in total. In the 'drome I posted some head to head (rock, paper scisors head to head collision cards) and also created a pretty detailed campaign which needs a bunch of testing and updates. It bogged in its own mire.. My love for WWI aircraft games can definitely be traced back to Mike Carr's Dawn Patrol (Flight in the Skies). Such a cracking system.

Wings of War / Wings of Glory Support Group 19 Jun 2017 10:16 #250119

Game came in Saturday, got it open and to the table last night. Played a round with simplified rules to make sure I understood how the mechanics worked (straight damage only and no altitude). After the five minutes it took to fly that, the wife came in and we played without altitude rules and had a blast. We played four games then called it a night. Each one being Fokker vs Camel. Only after we played the fourth game did we grab the other planes but saved them for tonight. Playing with the cards was perfect, do they just sell movement decks and plane cards?

It will scale up fine, once I get access to a bandsaw again to make the movement parts.
  • fastbilly1
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D4

Wings of War / Wings of Glory Support Group 20 Jun 2017 22:34 #250213

The cards do work better than the miniatures. The planes can get messy once they start bunching together. But of course the visual element is so much less with cards only.

The old line, Wings of War, had card decks available for purchase. I haven't, however, seen these available in the new line up. Your best bet may be ebay, or www.wingsofwar.org or on bgg.

Glad you are enjoying the game. It is pretty awesome. Btw.. make sure you download the collision cards on the wingsofwar.org site. I had an artist make them and they add a rock, paper, scisors mini-game when your cards overlap.

Cheers,
Michael
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.624 seconds