October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Argent: The Neutrally Balanced Arrangement of Business

More
01 Aug 2016 13:43 #231208 by san il defanso
The key thing that keeps Argent in the realm of something that is playable by most groups is that the structure of the game is very intuitive, especially if someone has any experience with worker placement as a genre. There's a Watch It Played video on the geek that is quite informative, but it's not really necessary. You can figure it out from the rules easily.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2016 14:05 #231212 by JEM

Gary Sax wrote: Our games finally died, as many PBEM games do, but only after we finished 2-3 games. Which is a good run.

Yes, we were all waiting on someone to take a turn.

:D

The rule book is actually not entirely dreadful, in a step away from the usual L99 style. Using the suggested board setups in the book is a good way to start.

More
01 Aug 2016 14:30 #231215 by Gary Sax
yeah, I lost track of who was up and then like last week I was like "yeah, I killed this game, didn't I?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
01 Aug 2016 15:08 #231216 by Chaz
The rules suggest starting with a 3p game. I suspect most games will be just me and my wife. Is it easy enough to learn as 2p for the first go round?

More
01 Aug 2016 15:20 #231219 by JEM
Should be easier with two, there will be less going on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
01 Aug 2016 15:45 #231222 by Gary Sax
I play two player with 5 mages and 8 rooms otherwise exactly like a normal game when I play 2p, not their recommended rules. Your mileage may vary.

More
01 Aug 2016 15:50 #231224 by JEM

Gary Sax wrote: I play two player with 5 mages and 8 rooms otherwise exactly like a normal game when I play 2p, not their recommended rules. Your mileage may vary.

That's the designer's original intention, isn't it?

More
01 Aug 2016 15:53 #231225 by Gary Sax
If you look at page 18 it has the alternate two player rules. Like 3x3 with 7 mages and a few sides rooms mandated and a room removed (dorm since you have 7 mages already)
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
02 Aug 2016 00:36 #231237 by Not Sure

Gary Sax wrote: yeah, I lost track of who was up and then like last week I was like "yeah, I killed this game, didn't I?"

Is it still Sax's turn, or did I jack it up? I'm game to run out the rest of the turns, even though all of us will be like "uh.... peek at the voters..."

I think we were mid-turn 4, so almost done.

I've said before I think the game should have an odd number of voters, so I really like the "remove Influence voter" tweak, especially for two.

More
04 Aug 2016 10:14 #231378 by Chaz
I'm finally getting to start through the rules, and holy hell, the graphic design on this thing is a nightmare. The Anime art style isn't my thing, but is you know, whatever. It's the icons and card layouts I'm blown away by. Like, the symbols for the different color mages. They could've gone with a uniform symbol that was a simple outline and change the colors. Instead, there's six different silhouettes for them, the symbols use shading, and the gray hat seems to correspond to the beige colored figures for some reason? WTF.

Then there's the vault cards, where two important gameplay symbols are just kind of stuck into the text box where they blend in with the other symbols. Strike them out with a border or something. The mana symbols are a different shape from the physical bits. All the euroglyphics are heavily shaded and stylized which I guess makes them look nice, but makes them harder to read at a glance.

I'm sure this thing will wind up being good, but man, from a graphic design standpoint, it's a nightmare.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax

More
04 Aug 2016 10:23 #231380 by san il defanso
The only aspect that really bothers me is that the red and the orange (if you're using the expansion) are really similar. That's a big fail.

More
04 Aug 2016 10:31 #231384 by Shellhead

Chaz wrote: I'm sure this thing will wind up being good, but man, from a graphic design standpoint, it's a nightmare.

Despite reading good reviews for Argent, I have been repelled by pictures of gameplay.

More
04 Aug 2016 18:38 #231417 by Chaz
I haven't actually gotten to play yet, but glancing through the rooms, I'm kind of confused about the purpose of Guild Hall A. It sounds like you can drop up to 3 mages in there and get 1 influence each immediately. That seems kinda weak. The only reasons I can think you'd want to do that is if you had an ability that lets you move placed dudes to a new room, if you really wanted a new merit badge right now, or if you were trying to use up all your mages but still end the round early. Is there something I'm missing about that room? This might be one of those things that makes sense once you're in the middle of a game.

More
04 Aug 2016 19:01 - 04 Aug 2016 19:09 #231421 by Gary Sax
You got their main uses.

The IP return is immediate. So if you have stuff that picks mages back up or moves them around (banishing, moving spells, lots of other ways too) you can place them BACK on the board having already gained your benefit.

Another useful way to use it is if you've got mage # advantage. Your opponents may go speed play but you can safely still go for more mages as long as you see Guild 1 on the board. Late in the turn if you're a behind the 8 ball timewise you can simply drop any of your remaining mages into that guild room and still get benefits out of them, even if your opponent is torching you on speed. You can leverage your mage advantage to gain 2-3 IP that the speed opponent can't get which is a major advantage.

Similarly, if you're willing to take a marginal payout of 1 auto IP you can push all your opponents by dropping three mages and/or starting to pull belltower cards really early in the round. Especially if you can see your opponent has an elaborate plan that requires many mages to be dropped in just the right places or their turn is ruined.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2016 19:09 by Gary Sax.

More
04 Aug 2016 20:31 #231426 by Not Sure
The only thing I'd add to Sax's analysis is that the payout value varies a lot with the overall resources of the specific game. Since the board layouts vary, the scarcity varies for each resource.

Some of them just don't have a lot of chances to get IP, and being able to grab 2-3 at a time is a big deal. Sometimes you're swimming in IP. Each game layout is going to be a bit different, and some rooms can be also-rans depending on it.

Grab the good stuff for the board you're on. One of the most enjoyable parts of the game to me is seeing what the resource mix is going to be.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds