October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Mining for Horrors (A Shadows of Brimstone Topic)

More
28 Mar 2017 13:35 #245708 by SebastianBludd
After a hiatus we resumed our campaign with a trip to Cynder for the Fire and Ash mission. It’s similar to the other missions that introduce an Other World - first clue token spawns a gate to the Other World, after finding the third clue token face an Epic Threat – with the difference being that you face Beli’al as the Epic Threat.

The Mine side of one of the Cynder tiles has lava spaces (when entering a lava space, roll to not get burnt), so of course we pulled that one on the same turn we were attacked by four Scafford Gang members who had the Phase Jitters mutation where they can only be hit on To Hit rolls of 6+ and are immune to crits. The Scafford Gang always tries to stay out of melee and attack from range with a chance for a bonus attack at the end of the round, so the Prospector took a chance on getting burnt to get adjacent to two of them to prevent it. They were throwing more dice due to Elite Abilities but, other than taking some burning damage, we took them out pretty easily and went through the gate to Cynder.

In Cynder every Hero is +1 Max Grit and takes a Hit – due to the heat - at the beginning of each turn for each item of clothing they’re wearing. We faced two of our first-ever Lava Men soon after arriving and one of their Elite Abilities ended up being Armor 5+ which proved to be quite annoying once they started to regularly save 1-2 wounds per Hit. We put them down and faced two more of them, also with Armor 5+, a couple rooms later.

Shortly thereafter we found Beli’al and things got interesting. He was accompanied by three Trederran Raiders who, in addition to their Elite Abilities, got a Damage and Health buff from one of the Beli’al’s Elite Abilities. Since we were a posse of four, Beli’al had 65 Health as well as several other inherent Abilities including casting spells, damage resistance that makes his Defense after a Critical Hit 2 instead of 0, and Endurance (4), which means he can never take more than 4 damage from a single Hit.

I’ve never used it in a Fight before but I figured it was finally time for the Doc to activate his Isolation Field. It’s a Targa Artifact that can be used once per Fight to keep your Hero or another model within 3 spaces from Moving, Attacking or being Attacked during the Turn. Even though Beli’al has a couple Abilities that go off each turn, I ruled that the Field prevents those as well, not just Moving and Attacking. Regardless, that allowed us to concentrate on stomping the three Trederrans before the next Turn, where a D6 roll for one of Beli’al’s Abilities spawned a Void Sorcerer in Ambush. The sorcerer attacked the Jargono Native but since the Sorcerer attacks with Shootout he spawned as far from the Native as he could. The Outlaw attacked Beli’al and scored a direct hit with an Orb artifact that functions like Dynamite except it bounces D6 times when the To Hit roll misses (instead of D3) and it does 3D6 Damage in the target space.

The Native then moved up to the Sorcerer and dealt all but two Wounds’ worth of Damage before Beli’al activated and Targeted the Native. He flew over to the Native and landed two Hits (out of 6 dice that do 7 Damage each) and what happened next was my second favorite moment of the Fight when the Native, also for the first time, used his Serpent Skin belt that allows him to, once per Adventure, transfer one Enemy Hit to an adjacent model. So the Native soaked most of the Damage from the first Hit before transferring the other one to the Void Sorcerer, obliterating him.

The Prospector and Outlaw had been hammering on Beli’al with regular attacks and had him down to about half Health when the third turn of the Fight began. Beli’al didn’t spawn anything and his Shadow Majik spell wasn’t too bad, setting the stage for what turned out to be the final turn of the Fight. The thing about Beli’al is that there are three ways to Wound him: Normal attacks (Damage vs. his Defense of 4), Critical Hits (Damage vs. Defense of 2), or Attacks exploiting his Key of Defiance Ability. If you use Key of Defiance, once per Turn you may spend a crit result to Attack the key around his neck. If you succeed on an additional To Hit roll he takes 2D6 wounds without Defense and it ignores his Endurance (4). If the 2D6 roll is doubles, however, the Hit fails and you take Corruption Hits equal to the doubled number rolled (which sucks and happened to the Prospector when he took 3 after rolling double 3’s).

The Doc was unable to roll any crits during his first Attack on Beli’al but on the second he finally landed one, as well as landing the required follow up To Hit roll. The Doc carries around a Collection Jar, on which a marker is placed every time a different Enemy type is encountered during that Adventure. All of the markers can be discarded once per Adventure to add +1 Damage to a single Hit, per marker discarded. The Doc had never used it and it doesn’t mention discarding them at the end of an Adventure, so over the course of a few missions he’d hoarded 12 markers. He discarded them to add them to the 7 he rolled on his 2D6 damage roll, inflicting 19 Damage on Beli’al, leaving him at 16 Health remaining.

Then it was the Native’s Activation. He used his Traveler’s Boots to spend a Grit and automatically add a 6 to his Move, and then he converted that unused Move to +3 Attack with his Jumping Attack Ability. Then he spent a Dark Stone to add +3 Damage to one Hit, meaning that he could use both bonuses to add +6 Damage to a Key of Defiance Hit, if he could land it. He got a crit, succeeded on the To Hit roll, and for the 2D6 damage he rolled… 11, the highest non-doubles result possible. Combined with his +6 bonus it was 17 damage, one more than the required 16 to banish Beli’al.

It was a great Fight and, even though his Abilities slow the game way down, Beli’al is a really fun enemy to go up against. On paper I wasn’t that impressed with Cynder but having played it I really like what they did with it and it’s surprisingly satisfying for a world with such a straightforward concept.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, JEM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2017 13:57 #245709 by Columbob

SebastianBludd wrote: and Endurance (4), which means he can never take more than 4 damage from a single Hit.
He discarded them to add them to the 7 he rolled on his 2D6 damage roll, inflicting 19 Damage on Beli’al, leaving him at 16 Health remaining.

Did you forget about the Endurance ability or did I miss something that bypassed it?

More
28 Mar 2017 15:05 #245712 by JEM
Forgetting half of the rules in the moment is part of the game, I think. That was an epic battle write-up in any case.

More
28 Mar 2017 15:31 - 28 Mar 2017 15:32 #245715 by SebastianBludd

Columbob wrote: Did you forget about the Endurance ability or did I miss something that bypassed it?

Beli'al's Key of Defiance Ability bypasses his Defense and Endurance (4). The tradeoff is that you have to roll a successful crit, roll a successful To Hit (and if this roll fails, the crit is wasted), not roll doubles on the 2D6 damage roll, and you cannot Grit reroll the damage roll. The full Ability description is rather lengthy and I wasn't quite clear on that detail when I summarized it.
Last edit: 28 Mar 2017 15:32 by SebastianBludd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, JEM

More
03 Apr 2017 08:14 - 03 Apr 2017 08:27 #245893 by Egg Shen
After owning the game for close to a year I've finally managed to get it to the table. Remember that perfect campaign article I'd written a few weeks back? Had I played SoB prior I might not have written it. It's still not perfect, but it scratches the itch closer than most. Very impressed with it. It's a big, unwieldy mess of game, but I really don't care. I love the narrative, the dice chucking, the exploration, combat, the character development, and mish-mash setting.

Did a two player game and I certainly fucked up a bunch of rules, but I absolutely didn't care. It was still great. We rolled like absolute shit and got KO'ed halfway through the first mission. The gunslinger ended up getting his eye gouged and the bandido suffered a deep leg wound. We might start over and redo the first mission with the correct rules, which I don't mind because I'm sort of obsessed with the game at this point.

Couple of questions for you SoB vets.

So now that I know I want to go all in on the game, does anyone know when Swamps of Death will be back in print? I really want to grab the second core set.

Of the "Advanced Rules" in the booklet, do you play with all of them or ignore them? Being able to drag and recover a KO'ed ally seems like something that I should play with. Does anybody use the specific map tile encounters variant? Or do you just draw the encounters randomly? Any rule that I absolutely shouldn't play without?

Not sure if anyone knows, but when does FFP plan to release expansion character classes? I know they've had a few resin miniatures for sale on their website, but it doesn't look like they've rolled out anything to the mass public. I'm kind of surprised that these haven't been made available yet.

Anywho, I've got a four player game ready to go for Saturday and I cannot wait. I'm hoping the other guys love it as much as I do.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2017 08:27 by Egg Shen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, JEM

More
03 Apr 2017 09:32 - 03 Apr 2017 09:39 #245898 by JEM
There are some new copies of Swamps on eBay for $85 which doesn't seem outrageous. Ah, sorry. That shows 0 available when I look into the listings. Wow.

I guess I don't generally use the advanced rules. We have used the dragging rule once, but it's usually better to keep shooting/stabbing stuff than moving KO'd characters around. I tried doing the advanced encounters but that gets really weird especially with only one mine set/otherworld, because you can burn through a lot of encounter cards, and end up having to re-play the encounter for Tile X, after you already pulled it as a random encounter for Tile Y previously.

You might want to look at the Custodians of Targa box. It's around $15, and it adds some potential tactical elements to Pylon encounters. I bought the Frontier Doc and Jargono Native from the FFP site when they were doing one of their sales. I think that getting Swamps for $85 is a better deal all around, though. You get more gear and artifacts (the sets are broadly different), double the encounter variety, etc, and eight classes to choose from is probably plenty enough until you've mined (ho-ho) a lot of the game, and I would be looking at Frontier Town before new character classes.

On the subject of starting over, in my two player game, we missed the option to flee without being KO'd for the first two missions, so we were both carrying injuries into the third mission. It built character, and our injuries were the worst- I think my ranged attacking lawman lost crits on ranged attacks, and the melee preacher lost a combat die or something. We persevered through failure, though.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2017 09:39 by JEM.

More
03 Apr 2017 15:49 - 03 Apr 2017 15:51 #245916 by SebastianBludd

Egg Shen wrote: Of the "Advanced Rules" in the booklet, do you play with all of them or ignore them? Being able to drag and recover a KO'ed ally seems like something that I should play with. Does anybody use the specific map tile encounters variant? Or do you just draw the encounters randomly? Any rule that I absolutely shouldn't play without?

Generally speaking, the "Advanced Rules" section in the rules is a bit of a misnomer as most of them are integral to the game (exploring through gates, corruption and mutation, how XL enemies position while targeting, etc.). As far as the dragging rule goes, in all my games of SoB I have seen someone attempt to drag a KO'd ally exactly once. That's because it's almost always worse to disrupt your plan of attack to drag an ally, and that's only if you can reach an enemy-free tile without the fight getting out of hand. Know how it works and be aware that it's an option, but don't worry about using it a lot.

I would only worry about exploring Advanced Encounters once your Encounter deck gets to a ridiculous size.

As for general tips:

- Delegate. The other players in your group don't need to know how the game works to flip Threat/Darkness/etc. cards. That will mean less for you to keep track of so you can concentrate on getting familiar with all of the little rules and modifiers. And the most experienced players should handle the enemies.

- Identify a rule or two that you consistently forget and concentrate on getting that one right. Some of the easier ones to mess up are Horror/Terror Hits, or global effects that modify certain enemies, like a Darkness Card that gives all Void enemies +1 Combat, for example.

- Pen and paper are your friend. The sooner you can move to recording character info on a character sheet, as well as recording Gold and XP there, the better off you'll be. It streamlines the bookkeeping so you can focus on the game. My group started out with poker chips (XP) and paper money (Gold) but eventually dropped them. However, a lot of people swear by poker chips and money so do whatever you like.

- When choosing which Heroes get attacked by which enemies at the beginning of a fight, the rulebook has you choose a Hero randomly, then choose the next random Hero targeted by the least number of the same enemy type, and so on and so on. Fuck that noise. Divide enemies evenly between Heroes and randomly choose who gets attacked by the leftovers. So if you have 4 Heroes getting attacked by 7 Void Spiders, everybody - provided that the Spiders furthest away can reach the rear Heroes, don't forget to check that first - gets one Spider and then randomly determine who does not get attacked by a second one. Boom, done.

- A couple other targeting rules to be aware of: If you activate before an enemy and attack it, the enemy still targets a random Hero, it has no care for who's attacking it. And, if you are able to break engagement by passing an Escape test and move away from an enemy that is attacking you in melee, it will choose a random target on its next activation rather than pursuing you. You might still get targeted again but it's at least a chance for a Hero to escape an enemy who's pummeling them.

Egg Shen wrote: Not sure if anyone knows, but when does FFP plan to release expansion character classes? I know they've had a few resin miniatures for sale on their website, but it doesn't look like they've rolled out anything to the mass public. I'm kind of surprised that these haven't been made available yet.

I haven't heard anything regarding character class releases. They're probably still busy as hell with KS fulfillment and I regret not getting the Cowboy class when it was available (I did snag the Jargono Native and Frontier Doc, though). All the currently available release dates are for upcoming enemy packs (Flesh Stalker & Drones), mission packs (Hellfire Succubi, Feral Vampires) and other world expansions (Derelict Ship), so I'm hoping (and this is blind optimism talking) that the expansion characters trickle out at the same time as the other stuff.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2017 15:51 by SebastianBludd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
15 Jan 2018 12:00 #260984 by SebastianBludd
We finished the Derelict Ship mission we started last session. The Epic Threat at the end of the mission proved to be interesting as we were facing two Flesh Stalkers, each with 64 health due to an Elite Ability, as well as 6 Tentacles in an Ambush. Flesh Stalkers are rough; they have variable Initiative each round (2D6), they draw a random weapon from a deck to use each turn, and they "Shadow Shift" after taking 3+ wounds in a single attack. That means they "bounce" three times, one space at a time, using the Dynamite template. If they move into another Hero's space they swap spaces with them and do d6 wounds, ignoring Defense and Armor. Combined with the fact that they're immune to ranged crits results in a situation where you're in melee range and often in danger of taking Shadow Shift damage.

The 64 Health also pointed toward a long, dragged out Fight until our Prospector remembered the Void Grenade (Derelict Ship Artifact) he'd gotten earlier in the mission. It's thrown just like dynamite, but it creates a 3x3 vortex wherever it detonates. The vortex pulls every model toward it at the beginning of the turn and it instantly sucks in and destroys any enemy model whose base touches the template (Heroes get to make a Strength test but take damage, regardless). He threw it at both FS and missed, but after it finished bouncing it was touching one of them and destroyed him. So far, so good. The room leading to the final confrontation room was a corner passage and that ended up helping as the Flesh Stalker kept trying to Shadow Shift into the walls but couldn't move, often leaving him still adjacent to Heroes. We had a bad run of Shadow Shifting where our Prospector ended up getting KO'd and getting a broken collarbone (-1 Max Grit). At this point there was only one Tentacle left - which we ignored until the end - and we were concentrating on the FS. I kept the Doctor's Blacksmith Ally as far out of harm's way as I could (he was always out of Shadow Shift range but was always in danger of being Targeted by the FS) but he survived the mission and gained one of the three XP he needs (1 XP per completed Adventure) to eventually level up.

Other than the Prospector's broken collarbone we finished the mission unscathed and the Prospector pulled the best Loot, the Vac-Suit, a Derelict Ship Artifact. It has a weight of two but it gives you +2 Health and makes you immune to Space effects. We decided to try for a Large Frontier town after the mission (one guaranteed Travel Hazard plus the chance for an additional) and we suffered through a series of poor rolls that ended up with the Outlaw rolling into a Mining Town with nearly 10 Sanity Damage. The highlight of our travels was when we were accosted by a mutant warlord where you can either pass a Cunning 6+ test to steal some Dark Stone from him (failure results in a permanent stat loss) or just buy him off. Everyone but the Doctor paid and he used his 4 Cunning to pass the test and steal three Dark stone. Unfortunately, the Doctor also lost his Wild Horse mount during Traveling when it was swallowed up by a gaping maw in the road.

We also rolled a Travel Hazard that limited our Town stay to two days, and our very first Daily Event was a riot. Each Hero had to take a Strength 4+ test and if they passed they could "protect" a location of their choice from possibly being destroyed by the riot, where unprotected buildings are destroyed on a d6 roll of 1 or 2. All four of us passed (we didn't include the Blacksmith because you get an XP reward for the Strength test so I immediately houseruled that Allies can't participate in tests that reward XP) so the only locations in danger were the Indian Trading Post, Sheriff's Office, Saloon and Gambling Hall. The Outlaw rolled poorly and only the Indian Trading Post survived the riot.

The Outlaw had the rock skin mutation (-2 Move, Armor 4+) and the extra head mutation (no activation at all on a Move roll of 6) which really slowed us down in the previous mission so I was quite adamant that he get one or the other taken care of. He got the rock skin removed in the Mutant Quarter, got Butchered on the second day (failed the surgery roll and took a permanent 1 Health loss) so he used an Amulet to get rid of the second Head. Now he's +1 Move again (due to the tentacle tail), though his Scafford Hat (+1 Initiative per mutation, max +3) is less effective now.

The Doctor rehired the Blacksmith at half price and borrowed some money from the Prospector (who had $6,000+) to go to the Indian Trading post to buy the Feathered Hatchet to replace his Combat Knife. In addition to conferring a +1 Combat bonus, like the knife, it also has an upgrade slot as well as being +1 Damage. Since the Doctor is already +1 Damage against previously-encountered enemies (due to his Collection Jar) and he's encountered a lot of different enemies, he should get the +2 Damage bonus more often than not. He was also able to get his slashed leg (-1 Move) healed at a back alley doc and the Prospector healed his broken collarbone, as well. The Gear and Artifact items at the Smuggler's Den weren't anything special - all three were side bag tokens - but we ended up buying some of them including Anti-Rad tokens (from Trederra) that remove D6 Corruption, as well as getting fully stocked on various side bag Tokens from the General Store. The Anti-Rads are helpful as we're trying to keep our Mutations in check since I don't think we've been able to visit a Blacksmith and buy a Dark Stone Buckle (roll twice on the Mutation table and choose one) since we've been able to afford one.

The Outlaw chose the Derelict Ship mission so it was the Prospector's turn to choose and next we tackled the Caverns of Cynder Mission 6: Broken Seals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
14 Jul 2020 11:01 #312021 by SebastianBludd
Last Nov. FFP released v1.02 of their FAQ for Shadows of Brimstone, and among all the clarifications there were two big changes:

1. A Hero's Skill stats (Agility, Cunning, Spirit, Strength, Lore, Luck) can never exceed 6 (including items and buffs), nor go below 1.

2. A Hero can throw no more than 6 dice for a single Combat (i.e., melee) or Ranged Attack.

They cleaned up or nerfed several other item and character interactions as well, and while the game will never be balanced, I appreciate them making the effort to keeping it from being absolutely broken.

Our last campaign went a couple more missions but we were burnt out and didn't play for a long while, until recently when the boys wanted to start some new characters and play again.

The eldest is playing as a Piano Player (male version of the Saloon Girl) named The Old Ivory King since he's been playing a lot of Dark Souls lately. The other boy is playing as one of my new characters, The Gambler, who uses Fortune tokens to perform Gambling Tricks to manipulate die rolls. The Fortune tokens and Gambling Tricks can be thought of as mana and spells, respectively, specific to the Gambler class alone. Other classes (Preacher, Dark Stone Shaman, Wandering Samurai) have similar mechanics. His character is named Killy the Kid."

I'm playing two characters again, the first of which being a girl Orphan (thought I'd give that class another try after poor Will Munny was retired due to injuries and ineptitude). I have a love/hate relationship with cutesy homophone names for fictional characters - where I appreciate the wordplay but inwardly cringe at how tortured they can be - so I named her Nelly "June" Bugg.

My other character is another new class, a Cowboy named Clay "Rattlesnake" Ketchum. A Cowboy starts with a Lasso that can he can use once per Fight and it's awesome. The lassoed enemy is -1 Combat, -1 Defense and cannot Move for as long as it's restrained. If the Cowboy passes a Strength Test on the enemy's activation (5+, 6+ for XL or larger), and it's not an enemy that can pass through other models, they don't break free and have to try again next round.

With our characters generated and named we went into the Mines for a basic mission - find a Clue token, go to the Jargono swamps, fight an Epic threat - only for it to eventually all go to hell.

The one or two fights before the final confrontation were inconsequential, but for the final battle we disregarded our "no expansion enemies for the first mission" rule and we paid for it. We drew a Flesh Stalker and three Vampires as our Epic Threat and it was a slaughter. We had a hard time dealing wounds to the Vampires with their Defense of 4 and their Mist Form ability giving them a 5+ Armor save on all wounds. As for the Flesh Stalker, he had 36 health, hit hard, and he bounces around after he attacks and after he takes 3+ damage in an attack.

The Gambler ended up being Bitten by a Vampire when one of them rolled two sixes in a row on an attack (the bite means he'll turn into a Vampire Hero instead of mutating if he gained 5 Corruption), as well as getting KO'd and sustaining a Chest Wound Injury (-1 Initiative). He was KO'd by the Flesh Stalker Phase Shifting - the aforementioned "bouncing" - through him, and he also Phase Shifted through the Cowboy, who also went down and who also sustained a Chest Wound.

At that point we just played the rest of the current round and fled the mission in defeat with very little in the way of money and dark stone.

Upon reaching Town, we ended up with the worst random draw of Town locations that we've ever had: no General Store (for side bag tokens and other supplies), no Church, no Frontier Outpost (to get Bounties and sell dark stone), no Blacksmith, no Doc's Office (for healing the Bite and our Injuries).

We bought very little and headed back into the Mines to play the introductory mission and hopefully get more loot this time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, jhuntin1, Nodens

More
14 Jul 2020 11:43 #312022 by Gary Sax
Old Ivory King is a great piano player name.

I love these reports, btw, even though I don't play the game. It makes me think if I was getting into dudes in a corridor it'd be with this game. I wonder if it goes for cheap nowadays...
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
14 Jul 2020 15:29 #312034 by SebastianBludd
City of the Ancients is in stock everywhere but Swamps of Death has been out of stock for over a year, which sucks because they rarely have the character expansions in stock on their web store (the only place to get them) so if you want 8 character classes to choose from, you need SoD.

So for the next mission we just did the Fistful of Dark Stone mission to hopefully get some decent loot. The Cowboy and Gambler were both still at -1 Initiative and the Gambler was also carrying his Vampire Bite.

Again, we only had a couple small fights before we got to the final one. The first was against a couple Swamp Slugs, which was fun because they're interesting to fight while not feeling unfair for a low-level party. The second was a mob of Hellbats, and the final fight was against six Void Spiders and a Goliath.

Something else FFP did recently was to release Enemy Trait supplements to make the base game enemies tougher and/or more interesting, since they're notoriously easy. When a core set enemy is spawned, on a roll of 4+ draw an Enemy Trait card and apply its stats and abilities. The Goliath was unchanged, but the Void Spiders gained a free ranged attack (some sort of venom spitting) in addition to their melee attack.

Bad attack rolls by the Gambler and Piano Player meant there were still four spiders left by the time it was the Orphan's turn (she went second-to-last, before the Cowboy), so the Gambler and Piano Player insisted that she use her scroll that affects four contiguous spaces with Hellfire (2D6 damage per space). I said, "But guys, if I don't use it we can sell it in town for $400." They were unmoved, so I used the scroll and unless I rolled a 2, each spider would be killed, and that's what happened.

What followed was one of my all-time favorite SoB moments, when the Cowboy then ran into the room, just out of range of the Goliath (who can hit all heroes within 3 spaces), and lassoed him. On the Goliath's activation the Cowboy rolled a 6 on his Strength test (he had a Strength of 4), so he couldn't move, nor attack.

For the next three rounds the Cowboy passed his Strength test (even rolling double sixes once), holding the Goliath fast as we peppered him with shots. He eventually broke free and our suddenly poor attack rolls meant he survived a round longer than he should have, but we were never in any real danger.

We then went to a Mining Town and we finally had a General Store and a Doctor's Office. Due to Heavy Rain we were all -1 on our Location Event rolls for the day, which would prove to be critical. The Piano Player went to the General Store to buy side bag tokens (bandages, whiskey, dynamite, etc.), but he rolled a 3 on his location event, which became a 2 due to the Heavy Rain Daily Event, which meant that the General Store was closed for the duration of our visit. So much for buying tokens or weapons.

The Gambler went to the Doctor and healed his Vampire Bite but not his chest wound, so he's still -1 Initiative, whereas the Cowboy was able to heal his chest wound. On the second day the Orphan and Cowboy went to the Sheriff's Office and, in a weird stroke of luck, they both rolled a 12 for their Location Event, meaning that they both acquired the keyword Law. They then each upgraded their 2 shot pistols to the 3 shot Peacemaker ($1000 and only available for purchase by Law heroes).

The Piano Player, desperate for a melee weapon, went to the church and spent $500 to gain the keyword Holy, and an additional $800 to buy a Holy Book (only available for purchase by Holy heroes) and gain +1 Combat. The Orphan gave him the Iron Cross artifact (can only be used by Holy heroes) she got in a previous mission, which granted him an additional +1 Combat (for a total of 4), and it also made ghost, demon and undead enemies -1 on their To Hit rolls against him.

We all had enough XP to level up to Hero Level 2 and decided to try our luck in the Blasted Wastes, the new prison planet Other World we had yet to visit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhuntin1, Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds