October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Zimby Mojo Dedicated Thread

More
03 Oct 2016 09:19 #235369 by san il defanso
I wrote about Zimby Mojo on my blog last week.

One thing about this game is that is looks and sounds like a beer-and-pretzels game, but it really isn't. It's just as backstabby and chaotic as you'd think, but it is also calculating and punishing of bad decisions. A huge part of the game is managing that mojo curve, and placing zimbies on the board in such a way that you have the flexibility to cast witcheries, take advantage of weird situations, and create zombies as needed.

When the expectation is that it's a beer-and-pretzels game, the whole thing can seem really long and repetitive. But it really is about how well someone has set themselves up, and how well they can manage contingency plans. It's probably the most strategic ultra-chaotic game I've played. I never thought that description would work anywhere, but here we are.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2016 09:33 #235374 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Zimby Mojo Dedicated Thread
I'm sure that this is a great game and I've enjoyed reading all of the reviews, especially from members of F:AT, but, at the end of the day, I realized that I'd rather just play Wiz-War. And, I didn't come to this realization until I rejected a reasonable trade offer, yesterday, for a copy of Zimby Mojo and had to do the calculus that led me to my conclusion. I might change my mind, but, it also doesn't help that the rules for Zimby Mojo don't seem to be downloadable and freely available for review prior to purchase (I couldn't find them, anyway).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
03 Oct 2016 09:47 #235377 by xthexlo
Replied by xthexlo on topic Zimby Mojo Dedicated Thread

stoic wrote: ...it also doesn't help that the rules for Zimby Mojo don't seem to be downloadable and freely available for review prior to purchase (I couldn't find them, anyway).

The rules are available for free download on the publisher's website: static1.squarespace.com/static/517aa705e...by+Mojo+Rulebook.pdf .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, stoic

More
03 Oct 2016 10:36 #235384 by hotseatgames
Wiz-War and Zimby Mojo are quite different from each other, despite how similar they may sound. Zimby Mojo has much more strategy involved.

More
03 Oct 2016 12:47 #235403 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Zimby Mojo Dedicated Thread
I'm getting a Titan and Wiz-War vibe.

More
30 Nov 2016 22:23 #239533 by xthexlo
I don't want to make any inappropriate posts here at F:AT, so feel free to tell me if I am doing so with this one and I'll delete it... but Byron Campbell wrote an outstanding allegorical session report for one of his Zimby Mojo games for Entropy magazine. You can find it here: entropymag.org/session-report-zimby-mojo-party-politics/ .
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, OldHippy, Frohike, Mantidman

More
30 Nov 2016 23:05 #239537 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Zimby Mojo Dedicated Thread

xthexlo wrote: I don't want to make any inappropriate posts here at F:AT, so feel free to tell me if I am doing so with this one and I'll delete it... but Byron Campbell wrote an outstanding allegorical session report for one of his Zimby Mojo games for Entropy magazine. You can find it here: entropymag.org/session-report-zimby-mojo-party-politics/ .

Dude, you have 30 Thanks on 37 posts. You should be telling me how to post.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, xthexlo

More
08 Aug 2017 11:41 #252242 by xthexlo
Two things about Zimby Mojo:

1. Try playing the game where each of a shaman's mojo tokens generates 2 mojo rather than one. If you do this, also allow yourself the ability to pay one mojo to re-activate a depleted zombie on your tribal board. The extra mojo opens up a lot more opportunities.

2. Miniature market has four copies of the game on clearance right now, so if you want a copy at a great price you may want to check it out!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.351 seconds