October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's Talk Silver Tower

More
19 Apr 2017 16:46 #246767 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Let's Talk Silver Tower
I've played through half of the Hammerhal campaign, and I'd like to finish it up but I don't know if we will due to time constraints and other games.

I probably buy that it was thrown together (as that theory just makes sense), but the content and quality doesn't feel that way (in terms of rules/dungeons/etc.).

If Silver Tower had a GM with the downstream benefits of that (scripted events during the campaign, traps, hints of what's ahead in the dungeon), and if it had a more focused narrative for the heroes involved, I'd probably prefer it over Hammerhal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2017 17:41 #246769 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Let's Talk Silver Tower
My point about basing is that good basing makes look the miniature better.
If none of the two miniatures were based, the difference in quality of paint job would be much more noticeable on the first sight.
I mean, this is your son's first model, while you are a pro and obviously have been painting for many years.

If I wasn't so much into Shadow Wars right now, I'd be getting Hammerhall. My only issue with Silver Tower is the lack of DM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
19 Apr 2017 17:57 #246770 by Michael Barnes
"Bases and faces make models look aces".

Even just a decent, at least painted and textured base makes a huge difference. The eye tends to take in all of a miniature at once due to its size so if the base is left undone, the whole miniature looks unfinished and messy.

Hammerhal is great and it is definitely worth owning if you like Silver Tower. It's actually closer to Warhammer Quest in a few ways. It doesn't feel thrown together at all, it feels more like a refinement of Silver Tower that is also pushing it in a slightly different direction (all vs. 1). No, they didn't tool new sprues for it. But you are still getting the very recent Kairic Acolytes, a full kit sprue of Blood Reavers, a major Stormcast leader, and a couple of older characters. OH. And also some Blightkings, which are awesome. AND...if you have Silver Tower, all of that stuff is cross-compatible so there is built-in value.

More
19 Apr 2017 18:50 #246776 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Let's Talk Silver Tower
I will eventually get Hammerhal (hopefully cheap because stripped of minis and replaced with my own tokens), but I still have seven missions to play with Silver Tower. I share many of Mr. White's concerns, and am not excited about the GM aspect of Hammerhal. On the other hand, I can see eventually getting annoyed at the Pink/Blue/Sparky Horrors of Silver Tower. For now, the Horrors present a bit of an extra tactical dimension to the fights, but maybe that won't be enough to stave off eventual annoyance at the additional delay in gratification (for killing them). I'm glad to hear that Hammerhal has a lot to offer.

More
20 Apr 2017 11:13 #246812 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Let's Talk Silver Tower

Vlad wrote: My point about basing is that good basing makes look the miniature better.
If none of the two miniatures were based, the difference in quality of paint job would be much more noticeable on the first sight.
I mean, this is your son's first model, while you are a pro and obviously have been painting for many years.

Gotcha.

Thing about the bases is, my son sees these fantastic ones in White Dwarf and such and he's all "can we do lava streams on our bases?". My philosophy is that, due to painting volume, I can't commit as much work to the base as I do the mini....sand/gravel and flock is easy and looks ok.

I told him he needed to use the 'house standard' for his first few minis, but if he wants to try something more dynamic after he has a feel for the hobby he can go for it.

More
20 Apr 2017 11:20 - 20 Apr 2017 11:23 #246814 by Mr. White

charlest wrote: If Silver Tower had a GM with the downstream benefits of that (scripted events during the campaign, traps, hints of what's ahead in the dungeon), and if it had a more focused narrative for the heroes involved, I'd probably prefer it over Hammerhal.

Like Shellhead, I'm a little less than enthused about the GM role. I did that plenty in the HQ/AHQ/WHQ days. Maybe I've been spoiled by Ravenloft, but this sort of co-op adventuring has been fun.

And regarding the Hammerhal heroes specifically, I don't expect the other players to read the 30+ page novella on the heroes, so I have no desire to force those characters in. Besides, like I said, I can sell the four and probably make most of my money back. The Elf wizard looks lame, IMO, and the dwarf guy I think I'd rather replace with a Khadron (sp?) Overlord model. The Stormcast Castellant...we're getting one of those free with the AoS starter we're buying next month. This one can be sold at no loss. The Fleetmaster...we've already got a seasoned adventurer in house...who actually also fits in much better with the supposed lovecraft-ian aelf aesthetic:

Going back to the AoS Starter though...we intend to sell off the Khorne guys to recoup the cost, but are there any in that set that are stated up in Hammherhal as exotic adversaries? Maybe I'll hold onto a few...
Last edit: 20 Apr 2017 11:23 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
20 Apr 2017 11:28 #246815 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Let's Talk Silver Tower
Does Hammerhal have the option to go GMless?

More
20 Apr 2017 11:32 - 20 Apr 2017 11:33 #246816 by Mr. White

metalface13 wrote: Does Hammerhal have the option to go GMless?

No, but someone on DakkaDakka cooked up some rules to do it. Still reads like some of the content may be lost.

I'll probably end up with Hammerhal, but I hope any future titles in the line aren't tied to GM only. Would be nice if they could fold in both play styles into the game.

And I _really_ hope there's a Flesh Eater Courts setting. GW production on an undead adventuring set would be the business. As it is, I've sort of considered re-obtaining Ravenloft, but would rather not and hope GW allows me to continue building with WHQ. Either way, I at least hope the next setting is focused on one sort of enemy like Silver Tower.
Last edit: 20 Apr 2017 11:33 by Mr. White.

More
20 Apr 2017 12:12 - 20 Apr 2017 12:58 #246820 by Mr. White
Oh, I almost forgot, I've made some significant changes to the Sylvaneth Branchwych using her AoS warscroll, ST hero card, and the ST warpriest gryphhound command. Now the party can have a second character with a 'pet'. The impetus for this redesign was that so both my son and daughter could play characters with pets if they wished. I've had some positive feedback from one of the original Silver Tower designers, so feel good about the build.

For kicks, I also did up a Halfling Fieldwarden. I like to think of him as an important member of Lumpin Croop's Fighting Cocks. But I'm not sure 'Fighting Cock' is the name I want to go with on the card...
I'm not sure how often he'll actually be used, but since there are no halflings in AoS (yet) here's another character out of place and time to go along with my BB Star Player and 40K Sister of Silence. This one from The Old World.

Last edit: 20 Apr 2017 12:58 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, charlest

More
20 Apr 2017 14:41 #246827 by Michael Barnes
You should hold off on buying that AOS starter. They are doing a revamped one that I think will be $80 but with the same contents. Terrain mat too. Models in gold and red plastic.

The starter has the Blood Warriors that are exotic adversaries in Hammerhal. The Hammerhal box already has the Blood Reavers. Really kind of surprised they don't put the Khorgorath in WHQ.

More
20 Apr 2017 14:54 #246829 by Vlad
Seconded, I'm not crazy about the starter either. I´ve been playing Khorne bloodbound for awhile. They are not nearly as fun as Skaven, everybody who plays AoS knows them really well and all their tricks, and they don't have that many tricks either imho - everything revolves around the bloodsecrator.

More
20 Apr 2017 15:45 #246831 by Mr. White
On that starter...We're aware of the new one with the push fit figs, the reversible mat, etc.

But, a buddy is willing to send me his for about $60 shipped, that's everything assembled, the stormcasts mostly painted, a few extra characters, etc. I feel we can sell the khorne guys and break even. Even better though is that the stormcasts being assembled will save my son a lot of time. Plus, he can just paint his purple over the blue and have his force ready sooner. Still, there looks to be a about 5 hammerbros he 'll be able to paint from scratch.

Seems like this set would set him up for success quicker than having to cut, assemble, and paint the whole thing out of a new box. And the new set wouldn't have the guy on a dragon nor the extra heroes.

I dunno....seems like a good deal to us.

The set in question:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
20 Apr 2017 15:54 #246833 by Vlad
For 60$, it is a good deal. In particular, if you like stormcasts.

More
20 Apr 2017 16:00 #246834 by Michael Barnes
That's a great deal.

You can also sell that Castellant- he comes in Hammerhal.

More
21 Apr 2017 08:20 #246872 by Mr. White
Help me understand the role of exotic enemies in Hammerhal.

I get them in Silver Tower, but I thought Hammerhal was pre-designed levels with enemies assigned. Are exotics used as options to sub out enemies with? Is it a case where you sub a khorne adversary with a khorne exotic?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds