October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Tell me About Space Hulk

More
13 Feb 2017 19:36 #243879 by SuperflyPete
It's perhaps the best, most fully immersive board game of all time. This whole "I don't want to play the X side because it's boring" thing screams "my friends suck at life!"

There's very few things as nail-bitingly tense as the Geney player plodding towards a doomed Termy while he rolls "Four! (step) TWO!! Fuuuuck!! Three!!! noooooooool!" and is torn into tiny, paste covered rippybits by a Genestealer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2017 07:25 - 14 Feb 2017 07:26 #243905 by Thrun
Replied by Thrun on topic Tell me About Space Hulk
Wow, that certainly sounds like a recipe for being a Life Winner. Duly noted. I hope you will invite me to your eleventh birthday party next month.
Last edit: 14 Feb 2017 07:26 by Thrun.

More
14 Feb 2017 11:15 #243921 by SuperflyPete
LMAO

My point is that there's no "boring" side to Space Hulk, and you'd have to seek it out in order to find it.

More
14 Feb 2017 11:46 #243929 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Tell me About Space Hulk
Embracing your inner child trumps turning into a grumpy old man, which is all too easy to do and seemingly the default setting as we age.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
14 Feb 2017 15:37 #243955 by SuperflyPete
Not me, man. I live in that childlike sense of wonderment every day. I've become convinced that only two things extend life: white-hot searing anger, and unadulterated joy. You only really find 90 year olds who are grumpy old bastards who tell kids to get off the lawn, or the old coots that skip and sing and are kind. Seems like no middle ground.

I chose Door #2
Shalom
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
14 Feb 2017 16:58 #243961 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Shellhead wrote: Though it's out of print now, Space Hulk: Death Angel is a better value. For about 1/6th of the price, you get a game that offers a similar experience, only with better replay value and the flexibility to handle from 1 to 6 players, where Space Hulk needs exactly two players only. Death Angel is also fast to set up, fast to take down, and easy to store or transport due to the small box. Where Space Hulk has miniatures and chunky cardboard map tiles that take up a lot of space in a big box, Death Angel does almost everything with cards.

As a quick aside, are any of the expansions worth getting? They are all going for crazy money now, but that is probably more due to scarcity than quality.

More
14 Feb 2017 17:58 #243963 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Tell me About Space Hulk

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote:

Shellhead wrote: Though it's out of print now, Space Hulk: Death Angel is a better value. For about 1/6th of the price, you get a game that offers a similar experience, only with better replay value and the flexibility to handle from 1 to 6 players, where Space Hulk needs exactly two players only. Death Angel is also fast to set up, fast to take down, and easy to store or transport due to the small box. Where Space Hulk has miniatures and chunky cardboard map tiles that take up a lot of space in a big box, Death Angel does almost everything with cards.

As a quick aside, are any of the expansions worth getting? They are all going for crazy money now, but that is probably more due to scarcity than quality.

Any of the Death Angel expansions adds to the replayability of the game, but some are better than others. I rank them in the following order, going from best to worst:

1. Mission Pack 1: Adds new locations, a couple of new opponents, and new final rooms. Aside from a few rules for the new opponents, this is just more of what makes the base game great, and adds significantly to the variety.

2. Tyranid Enemy Pack: All the genestealers in the base game are identical except for their movement icons. This expansion replaces the Genestealers with Tyranids, including three different types with a special ability, which makes for some more tactical decisions.

3. Deathwing Space Marine Pack: If you play the base game enough, it will get easier though never easy. This expansion gives you an alternative group of space marines that are more difficult to play. Two or three of them have great abilities, and the rest are not so good. Overall, most of this team requires support tokens to power their special abilities, so that's a problem.

4. Space Marine Pack 1: Two additional pairs of space marines for the base game, though there is nothing to keep you from using them with the Deathwing expansion if you want. The team with the rocket launcher is fun, but the team with the chaplain is not so good. The best part about this expansion is that it lets you play with up to eight players, though you will need to look at BGG for suggestions about how to scale the encounters beyond six players.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ancient_of_MuMu, Gregarius

More
16 Feb 2017 15:46 #244058 by san il defanso
Space Hulk is a legit classic. In the realm of tactical games like that, it's still probably my favorite. The best thing about it is how high-stakes everything is. One hit kills anything, which felt really bracing to me after learning stuff like Descent. The scenario design is a little hit or miss, but I do agree that it's highly immersive and as I'm learning now, it's a blast to paint.

Definitely look into it, it's a legit classic.

More
17 Oct 2017 16:19 #255854 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Tell me About Space Hulk
I mentioned it recently, but despite painting and selling a copy long ago, I think I'm going to pick this up for my son and I to paint as a shared project.

Is Space Hulk OOP again? I don't see it on the GW website.

More
17 Oct 2017 16:45 #255856 by Colorcrayons
Nah I still see it in most game shops. Around Minneapolis at least.

If you have difficulty locating a copy at discount or free shipping, I'll pick one up for you at cost plus shipping.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
20 Oct 2017 09:38 - 20 Oct 2017 09:53 #256052 by Mr. White
I'm selling off stuff to buy a copy in the near future.

Here's what I want to do with it. I'm sure there are a million variants already out there, but I want to keep the game very simple.

* Add a few more tyranid types for the genestealer player to deploy on occasion.

* Add a Tau Pathfinder group. My son loves the look of these guys. I'm thinking use the Terminators as the base, but give the Tau a little better movement, more numbers, but easier to kill

* Add a Necromunda gang. I don't plan on buying that game, but i want a gang to play with others. Also, I'd like to use that gang as a misfit group sort of like the bunch in Alien 4. i'm thinking they are similar to the Tau, but have less numbers and can deploy and use the vents/air ducts from the Sept16 WD (one of the best variants to SH IMO...makes every map new)

* Add rules for a solo character scenario. Think Snake Plissken/Chainsaw Warrior type anti-hero. this may require the most work, but I'm imagining multiple attacks per turn, use and placement of ducts, and perhaps mines/traps to lay will all be necessary.

I'm not a fan of the 40K setting, but love Space Hulk. With the above added it's about all I need for sci-fi minis gaming,

EDIT: Oh. I'll put all the base game minis on round bases. not a fan of the way they come and like the uniformity of all the minis on similar base types.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2017 09:53 by Mr. White.

More
20 Oct 2017 17:28 #256105 by metalface13
The terminators already are really easy to kill making anything else weaker ... I dunno

More
20 Oct 2017 17:51 #256106 by Colorcrayons
There are a lot of official and semi official rules for Hulk you can try. Guardsmen stats in Hulk might work for tau. I can't recall what white dwarf or citadel journal issue they were in, but the rules can be found on line through barsoom (I think its still active).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
20 Oct 2017 18:28 #256107 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Tell me About Space Hulk

Nulluser wrote: It's perhaps the best, most fully immersive board game of all time. This whole "I don't want to play the X side because it's boring" thing screams "my friends suck at life!"

There's very few things as nail-bitingly tense as the Geney player plodding towards a doomed Termy while he rolls "Four! (step) TWO!! Fuuuuck!! Three!!! noooooooool!" and is torn into tiny, paste covered rippybits by a Genestealer.

Space Hulk is fun, but there is a definite difference in engagement between the two sides. The Terminator player must make tough decisions under real time pressure. The Genestealer tactics are so obvious that they practically play themselves, plus the Genestealer player has plenty of time to make those easy decisions.

More
20 Oct 2017 22:09 #256121 by Mr. White
There's also the bulkier Tau stealth suits which could probably be played as terminators straight up.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds