October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Mario Monopoly

More
06 Jul 2017 14:12 #250935 by Thrun
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, OldHippy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2017 14:48 #250938 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Mario Monopoly
Ok, colour me surprised, that looks awesome and I know my kid and I would have a blast with it. I'll probably pick one up...

I can't believe I'm saying that. Not that I dislike Monopoly but we already have a copy (well.. Sudburyopoly actually) and I generally don't like IP's jumping around like this. But Nintendo themed and compared to Mario Kart... yeah, that sells me.

More
07 Jul 2017 11:08 #250970 by Thrun
Replied by Thrun on topic Mario Monopoly
yeah I'll be getting this to play with the kids, looks fun. I suppose you could argue that the Monopoly bit is not needed, I mean they could have made a modular track based Mario Kart type game with dice/cards and it would have been great as well- in fact, I'll probably end up using the pieces and homebrewing something if I can find a good game with modular track pieces in a matching design style

More
07 Jul 2017 11:55 #250973 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Mario Monopoly
I'm...really excited about this? It looks awesome! And my kids have been enjoying the Star Wars Monopoly we have (the most recent one with force powers and everything). I went to Target last night to see if it was out yet, looks like it is hitting early August. I bet it will be hard to get...Nintendo fans...

Booster packs, I don't know. Sort of worried about that. Mainly because I will overbuy them.

More
07 Jul 2017 14:05 #250980 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Mario Monopoly
I already like Monopoly all right, even though I've only played it a few times in the last 10 years. This seems like fun and something the kid will enjoy...

More
08 Jul 2017 08:22 #251012 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Mario Monopoly
GameStop's fancy edition is $40 (vs $25 for the normal one), but I'm a sucker and already ordered it to go with my Zelda fancy edition Monopoly.

Hey, I like Monopoly. It's like economic Talisman except instead of dying and starting fresh you will slowly bleed until you're knocked out and don't get to play with the adults anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
08 Jul 2017 14:29 #251023 by Thrun
Replied by Thrun on topic Mario Monopoly

Michael Barnes wrote: I'm...really excited about this? It looks awesome! And my kids have been enjoying the Star Wars Monopoly we have (the most recent one with force powers and everything). I went to Target last night to see if it was out yet, looks like it is hitting early August. I bet it will be hard to get...Nintendo fans...

Booster packs, I don't know. Sort of worried about that. Mainly because I will overbuy them.

It seems like you can specify which you want and there will be 8 extra characters available. Dont know if theyll try to add more later but it seems doubtful.

More
10 Jul 2017 01:25 #251046 by trif
Replied by trif on topic Mario Monopoly
Played Monopoly Gamer at a local con on Saturday and it is...interesting. Yoshi (with the special power of picking up all loose coins) won with a score of 420. Next came Donkey Kong with a score of 20 and me as Princess Peach with...um, no score at all.

The game takes less than an hour, because the timer is a stack of boss fight cards. You draw the top one every time someone passes Go and either fight it or discard it. Winning the fight gives you points but you need to pay to fight it. So in a four player game, once everyone's passed Go twice the game is over. You score points for properties owned, bosses vanquished and 10 points for every 5 coins.

Random as hell, but we had a good time and I'm even considering obtaining it for my nephews to play (even though the booster packs are a step too far for me.)

It just needs an app with a sound board that lets you play all the Mario sounds as you trigger the stars, pipes etc.

More
18 Jul 2017 17:56 #251349 by Michael Barnes
I picked up the collectors edition at GameStop today. Don't know if this is all over deal, but one Power Pack was free. That nicely offset the $15 upcharge for the CE. You also get a really nice rulebook and a storage tray that fits ALL the figures, which is nice. I also got Rosalina, Luigi, Wario and Boo. Should have just got them all.

It looks really fun, some cool ideas in the rules. Definitely not a heavy game. Should be great with the kids.

One thing I love is that the figures come with stickers and there is a space in the rulebook to stick them as you collect them all. Fun!
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
19 Jul 2017 00:02 #251364 by Michael Barnes
OK, it's good. About 45 minutes with three. And it is BRUTAL! Talk about swingy...

It's a pretty brilliant reduction of Monopoly, really...it definitely follows on with some of the ideas in that most recent Star Wars Monopoly, which I thought was very good. So the deal is that on your turn, you roll the D6 and a custom power die. Your character changes the effect of one of the die faces and also has a Super Star ability for when you land on one of those spots on the board (replacing the chance card spots). The power die basically whomps the other players and either steals coins from them or makes them drop them. So you are constantly getting hit with shells, POW blocks and so forth, always losing your money. And when you move, you hoover up any coins that were dropped ahead of you. Once you get back to Go, you can pay to roll against the current boss. If you don't want to or fail, the next player gets a shot and so on around the table. They also time the game, as mentioned above. There is no development of the individual properties, just a rent doubler if you have the full color set. It's amazing how much I _don't_ miss buying the houses/hotels. Or the utilities/railroads for that matter.

I was Rosalina, River was Bowser, and Scarlett was Peach. Scarlett was just raking in the bucks the whole game. I was completely bankrupt by turn 5 and had been in jail twice. River was mostly concerned with buying properties and beating the bosses. The abilities are pretty wildly out of balance. Rosalina SUCKS when you are on the back heel because her powers just don't work if you don't have properties or money. I managed to pull up to second place though. because it just swung that way. It is still very luck dominated, which is a lot more fun in a light 45 minute game than those old 4 hour Monopoly marathons.

I think that the way to play this though is going to be the Party Mode. In it, you pick two characters and when it's your turn, you can choose which character to use. This will add a little strategic element to the game, although it will still be up to the dice if you get to use the ability you are trying to take advantage of. Of course, this mode also means that you need to have two figures for every player. But I really think it will be the way to go.

I'm going to pick up the rest of the characters tomorrow. Those empty spots in the CE's tray are just killing me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
19 Jul 2017 08:02 #251367 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Mario Monopoly

Michael Barnes wrote: I'm going to pick up the rest of the characters tomorrow. Those empty spots in the CE's tray are just killing me.

There's this website called Kickstarter, it's great for the completionist in you. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Colorcrayons

More
19 Jul 2017 08:11 #251368 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Mario Monopoly
Target market spotted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, Nodens

More
19 Jul 2017 12:57 #251387 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic Mario Monopoly
So... is this sort of like a fusion of Monopoly and Magical Athelete with a Nintendo paint job? That's what the descriptions are giving me the vibe of.

More
19 Jul 2017 13:18 - 19 Jul 2017 13:24 #251388 by Michael Barnes
I would not be surprised if whoever developed this had played Magical Athelete and was influenced by it. It's funny that you mentioned that, because when I was playing it I was thinking about that game. It's not a race and there's no bidding for the characters and all that but it has a very similar tone to it.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2017 13:24 by Michael Barnes.

More
19 Jul 2017 15:57 #251393 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Mario Monopoly
"I was completely bankrupt by turn 5 and had been in jail twice."

A case of art imitating life
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds