October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Mario Monopoly

More
20 Jul 2017 15:13 #251419 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Mario Monopoly
OK, I really like this. There are a couple of quirky issues in regard to some of the character powers (some are DEFINITELY better than others, some don't really make a difference with less than 4 players, some are highly situational), but overall this is one of "those" mass market games...on the same shelf with stuff like Ghostbusters: Protect the Barrier.

My son is a total shark at it, he has won all three games.

We did party mode last night with two characters each (you can go up to three) and I really liked having just a slightly greater degree of choice in the game. Because you can use your power before or after you move AND you can change your character at any point, it can even set up some light combo action. I took Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong, Scarlett had Yoshi and Boo, River had the classic Mario & Luigi. Yoshi has what I believe is the best Super Star power in the game- hit it, and you collect ALL the money on the board. Mario's is really pretty good too, roll the die and get that +5 coins.

Here's what I think is the really interesting thing about the game. Money doesn't win, points do. You get points for owning properties, beating bosses and at an exchange rate of 10 points per five coins. So investing in properties is obviously a better ROI, but you have to have "pocket money" to get around the board, pay your debts, and buy stuff. So there is kind of two currencies going on, and that figures into deals where you might be trading properties. a 50 point "Boardwalk" class property (in this case, Peach's Castle and Bowser's Castle) is effectively worth 25 coins in terms of points. But their monetary value is only a base 5. And then figured into that valuation is a rent of 10 if you have both. All of that is really more complicated than in standard Monopoly, where you are considered only with the money. Yet, once I explained to my son that I was ripping him off by buying a 50 point property for 10 coins, he understood that.

We did have our first ever Monopoly fight though last night. Scarlett kept nailing River with shells...so River started yelling "YOU'RE JUST TRYING TO MAKE ME LOSE ALL MY MONEY!" and I said "yeah, that's the whole point of the game".

This game is totally Magical Athelete with more stuff and with powers more tuned to hitting the pocketbook rather than movement.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2017 12:35 #252493 by fastbilly1
Replied by fastbilly1 on topic Mario Monopoly
Bought it yesterday and did a solo game to get the rules under my belt. I cannot wait to play it with others.

Now I am upset I bought the standard version instead of the special edition since I dont have King Koopa and he is not in the expansion sets. There is a guy on BGG converting the Microland figures to give it dozens of characters before wave 2 hits (Microland looks to be the original molds used).

More
16 Aug 2017 13:58 #252497 by Nodens
Replied by Nodens on topic Mario Monopoly

Bojack wrote: yeah I'll be getting this to play with the kids, looks fun. I suppose you could argue that the Monopoly bit is not needed, I mean they could have made a modular track based Mario Kart type game with dice/cards and it would have been great as well- in fact, I'll probably end up using the pieces and homebrewing something if I can find a good game with modular track pieces in a matching design style

Why not try this mod right here ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy, SuperflyPete, Thrun

More
16 Aug 2017 15:34 #252508 by mutagen
Replied by mutagen on topic Mario Monopoly
Played Mario monopoly with the fam last night. Everybody had a great time. It doesn't play like classic monopoly at all, which is a good thing. In particular, you get to avoid that creepy, claustrophobic end game where you slowly try and strangle the rest of the family.

More
16 Aug 2017 16:09 #252509 by Michael Barnes
Since school started we aren't playing it EVERY night, so I'm kind of relieved...

It is really great though, it's weird calling it the best Monopoly game ever made but there it is. It does feel somewhat restrained...you can see 100 different things that they could have done with it, all of which would have increased complexity beyond where it needs to be, which is to say where it is right now.

Looking forward to wave 2, if that happens...gotta Waluigi, a Shy Guy, Bullet Bill, a Goomba, a Koopa...

The only thing I do not like is that it is called "Monopoly Gamer". I have such negative connotations attached to the word "Gamer". They should have just called it Mario Monopoly...unless there is some kind of plan to bring in non-Mario characters.

More
17 Aug 2017 10:30 #252536 by fastbilly1
Wasnt there already a Mario Monopoly?

We played two three player games last night and both were epic tug of war matches. Now I gotta go sell my copy and buy the fancy version, then find all the characters at retail.

More
17 Aug 2017 11:17 #252541 by Michael Barnes
I don't know if they are still doing it, but at GameStop I got a free power pack with the purchase of the fancy edition.

More
17 Aug 2017 19:19 #252567 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Mario Monopoly
Fancy version with add ons spotted at TrU.

More
18 Aug 2017 09:17 #252580 by fastbilly1
Fancy version is $44 on Amazon prime.

I just need to sell my base version first.

More
20 Aug 2017 02:35 #252686 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Mario Monopoly
This game is the real deal. I love that where the game starts is basically a simplified version of the last third of a traditional Monopoly game when it typically gets interesting. Also, I usually have problems with my kids getting bent out of shape when it comes to having bad things happen to them in games, so I was pleasantly surprised at the frequency of screwage in the game that has served to toughen up my kids so they don't take things so personally. It's also allowed me to teach them about bashing the leader ("I have the most money so you should have the red shell hit me.") and strategy ("If you target your brother with the red shell you can pick up the coins when you move past him.") which has been fun.

I got the Collector's Edition and I went from not caring about the expansion figs (five characters are certainly enough, right?) to having all of them in about 26 hours. But it's nice having a family game the kids all agree on: it's got the Mario Kart theme, the youngest boy already likes Monopoly, and the little sister just likes being included and playing as Rosalina/Peach.

The kids also love the boss fights and they're more fun than a single die roll has any right being. Party mode sounds like a blast so I think we'll try that next after we play once or twice more.

More
20 Aug 2017 11:02 #252694 by Michael Barnes
We've started running three characters each, two if we're playing with four. We also do a little auction for them since kids don't always agree on who gets to play what.

More
21 Aug 2017 00:02 #252720 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Mario Monopoly
Just bought the standard edition and Boo and Rosalina to stick under the Christmas tree.
Passed on the Collectors edition, and tell me if I'm wrong, but here's why...

MAJOR downgrade in boss. Who wants to battle Bowser Jr? Bring me Browser to defeat! Not worth the narrative loss to make Bowser a playable character, IMO.

The only other difference seems to be plastic coins. Well...I've got many of those type FFG used to sell. The sort that came in games like Citadels. Besides that if you really want to upgrade coins....Realm Coins!

More
21 Aug 2017 09:28 #252742 by fastbilly1
Played two four player matches last night. One of our new players was a card carrying Monopoly hater, the other was a long time opponent of mine. About 30 minutes into the game the bank ran out of money. the Monopoly hater was playing Mario and on one pass landed on every star and rolled a 6 as well as coins on the power die... Mario ended up winning by a landslide since he was just made of money. The Mario player suggested playing again and chose Yoshi, and he was walloped on most of the game and it ended up in an epic 4 way tug of war where Donkey Kong eeked out a win by 10 points. Yep buying all the characters as soon as I find them.

And Mr White that is a solid thought. My real drive for it is Koopa as a playable character, I too have plastic coins from something previously. I am honestly considering buying the deluxe version and keeping the standard version and just coloring the bases for the figures. That way if two people want to play Princess Peach or Yoshi they can. Well that and spraypainting a set of monopoly houses in each of the players color so you can easily tell who owns what property.

More
03 Oct 2017 13:48 #255177 by fastbilly1
Finally found all eight characters. Boo is broken as all getout.

We did add a house rule that you can change your character at random after a boss has beaten. It allows you to switch it up if the game is going sluggish.

More
03 Oct 2017 23:25 #255217 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Mario Monopoly
So I'm curious what the consensus is now.

I've played it a couple times, and it seems pretty good. The kids love it.

The main drawback seems to be the added Nintendo tax for the extra figs.

Modern AT classic?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds