October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Anyone playing Warhammer Quest: Shadows Over Hammerhal?

More
12 Aug 2017 00:26 #252394 by RabidWookie
I haven't heard much about Shadows Over Hammerhal since it released, which seems strange in the wake of Silver Tower's overwhelming success. Has anyone here played it, and if so what do you think of it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2017 13:18 #252423 by GorillaGrody
I own it, but haven't played it. Since our group really doesn't love one-vs-many games, its main utility has been to add some variety to Silver Tower. It seems like a pretty good example of one of those types of games, though.

Ultimately, it was a slightly underwhelming release, with too much figure overlap with previous Warhammer Quest releases.

More
16 Aug 2017 11:28 #252485 by Matt Thrower

GorillaGrody wrote: Ultimately, it was a slightly underwhelming release, with too much figure overlap with previous Warhammer Quest releases.

I was really interested in it, because I think my kids would dig that setup more than the full co-op thing. And it can be more fun if you've got a GM who's willing to fudge the monster rolls to maximise drama and ensure success.

But I haven't bought it because of the model overlap and the price. It's a big ask for what's effectively a glorified expansion when I don't want literally half of what's in the box, heroes included. I guess I should get on Ebay and see if I can pick up the Nurgle followers and the non-model components as separate lots.

More
16 Aug 2017 11:40 #252489 by Shellhead
I just bought a stripped Hammerhal set for $44 on eBay. No minis, so I will need to whip up another batch of wooden tokens. That's roughly the same amount that I paid for two stripped copies of Silver Tower, so hopefully all the extra content is worthwhile.

More
16 Aug 2017 11:44 #252491 by Shellhead
I expect that I won't be getting the game box either. I need to find a better storage solution for all my WQ stuff, as I am currently keeping my 2x Silver Tower in the shipping box that the second one shipped in.

More
21 Aug 2017 11:27 #252751 by Shellhead
Middle of Sunday afternoon, there was an urgent banging on my front door. As I rushed to the door, nightmare scenarios flitted through my mind: home invasion, my girlfriend's creepy ex is back, neighbor having a heart attack. Nope, special mail delivery of my stripped Hammerhal, in a surprisingly compact envelope. Everything seems to be there (except the minis, of course): source book, adventure book, map tiles, tokens, character sheets, dice.

The map tiles are somewhat drab compared to those in Silver Tower, but then 98% of our hobby is drab compared to the map tiles in Silver Tower. At second look, the Hammerhal tiles are fine, and more suitable for a wider variety of settings. The dice are plentiful and black. The source book is impressively large and has a two-page full-color centerfold depicting the box cover artwork, which is great for me because I didn't get the box.

Good: new characters, including a Sigmarite warrior, a steampunk dwarf, a pirate with a sword-leg, and a wizard/sage type. All of the characters and monsters look completely compatible with Silver Tower, and even though Hammerhal is intended to be run by a DM, the monsters all get Silver Tower-style behavior tables. The adventure book contains nine different dungeons, including separate ambush and special events tables for each dungeon. The adventure book includes a lengthy section covering activities and encounters back in town between dungeon crawls. Judging by the pictures, the minis are probably great.

Bad: Only four characters to choose from, and it looks like all four were already available in the bonus character pack released around the same time as Silver Tower. Like Silver Tower, there is only a limited selection of monsters to fight, and there is some overlap in the monsters in Hammerhal and Silver Tower. It appears that the only reason Hammerhal needs a DM is because of the pre-set layouts of the dungeons, and a set of dungeon room cards like in Silver Tower could have easily replaced the DM role. The rules are not covered as clearly as in Silver Tower.

Neutral: That thick source book is of limited value unless you plan to use this as the starting point for an rpg campaign. The first 30+ pages are a short story featuring the characters. Another chunk of the source book is a guide to painting the minis. There is a nice two-page map of the region, and a comparable half-page map representing the city district above the various dungeons.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds