October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Help me play Dune Do you have Ilyas redesign? And more!

More
31 Aug 2017 15:28 #253514 by JoelCFC25
I also have painted wooden leader discs and they work fine that way. Cards would work too. My board was just printed on heavy stock at one of the online poster places--stored in a frame under lexan with some other wargame maps it lays perfectly flat when taken out and I don't even need to cover it with anything anymore.

b) Do you play with the advanced rules? If so, why do they attract you over the standard game?

My most recent play was just last Friday night. I am the DUNE aficionado so I set the parameters of play and had decided ahead of time to try advanced combat for the first time. I'd previously always played basic combat but both with single spice blows and a couple times with double spice blows.

It was a little burdensome to explain the supported/unsupported troops concept but we did a couple examples quick and it all went off without a hitch. I liked it considerably more than I expected. I'll probably play that way in the future. We did use the WBC modification of allowing the Fremen to support their troops for free. The doubled spice blows--beyond fueling advanced combat--were also good for making desert action more intriguing. The stronghold occupants couldn't just thopter out to a single spice blow in force and effectively crowd everyone else out of spice collection like often seemed to happen before.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2017 21:09 #253688 by Disgustipater

Erik Twice wrote: b) How much spice do I need? Do I need different denominations?

I made denominations of 1, 2, and 4, same as the original game, but you can make any denominations you want. I think I have 110-120 total spice?

Erik Twice wrote: d) Do you have any tips for playing and introducing the game for the first time? (Eg. Warning people not to suicide their troops because they come back very slowly)

Make sure they know they can pay/bribe people for anything. Especially for information. People should be paying Atreides for information on what cards which faction has, or what card is currently up for auction. Harkonnen should be extorting other players for spice. They take some of their spice haul in exchange for not attacking them (should follow through on the threat though).

Do the math during combat. Make sure you can beat (assuming you want to) their highest available leader plus highest available troops. Use aggressor status to your advantage to win ties. On the other hand, if the battle is low stakes, don't be afraid to negotiate with the opponent to engineer deliberate loss. For example, I'll play my lowest leader and no troops if you don't play any weapons (to save your leader from dying).

Erik Twice wrote: Do any of you guys have Ilya's traitor cards with at least 9 cards on every page? I have them one by one and it would be wasteful to print them like that.

Here you go:
www.dropbox.com/s/tfg7k0z3an2ve7z/Ilya%2...ards%20v1.2.pdf?dl=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
05 Sep 2017 19:58 #253738 by Erik Twice
Thanks a lot for the help guys!

I've been preparing the files for printing tomorrow. Apparently if I print the cards at 100% size they are slighty larger than Magic cards but too small if I print them at 99%. 99,4 seems about right, I have to cut them a little but it won't make a difference on a visual level.

I'm thinking of plastifying the Atreides' card reference sheet and handing them a marker. That way they can write stuff and clean up afterwards. My worry is that it gets other components dirty or isn't as useful as it should be in practice. Guess I'll need to test. I guess I'll do the same for the predictions as Ilya's version doesn't have a prediction deck, just a card with spaces in them.

Apparently the player aids (listing what leaders each factions has and how each turn works) are also not availble in a "9 per page" format. They aren't necessary but I would like them so I'm printing them anyways even if I have to print more pages.

I've also noticed the alliance cards I have in 9-per-page format have additional rules on them (Eg. Can't use alliance power if 10-strenght leader is dead). Given their whole purporse is to be a played aid this is a no-go. In the end I think I'll skip them, alliance powers are not hard to remember and your ally will remind you anyways.

Here's a test of the map size with tokens from Steam: Rails to Riches. It looks great! I'm aiming at 50x50cm which is as large as the white paper below the printed map.

As you can see I'm using Terraforming Mars as a reference. Dune has the player's shields but otherwise Terraforming Mars takes more space, hence I can make the board larger (The fact that the spice bank, the tanks and so on are on the corners help). My only worry is the extremely small area right belowto the fortress with all the red tokens (right corner of the map, near the Dune logo). It's a very small space right next to busy spaces on the board and you can barely tell if a token is on it or not (See the green tokens).

I suspect it doesn't actually see much action, though. The game seems centered around spice (outer and inner edges) and the strongholds, with blank areas being useful in relation to those spots. So I'm not worried.

I also compared the board to The Republic of Rome's and now I want to play that game. These games are all incredible and they don't only make me want to play them again, they make me want to write about them so more people can enjoy them too!
Attachments:

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.565 seconds