October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Shadespire or Necromunda?

More
15 Dec 2017 00:07 #259127 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Shadespire or Necromunda?
I kinda sorta feel the same way as Barnes that Necromunda is less complex than Shadespire.
I played a little bit of Shadespire in the first week or two after release, and thought it was very accessible. But then I came back to it facing opponents who have been playing more than I did, and find myself completely lost. They pull out these combos and bluff the shit out of me. Which is not to say that Shadespire is all cerebral, because I still manage to get by once in awhile by being lucky. And these are fast games, and you can learn a lot from your mistakes and such.
Necromunda is a complete opposite. It is fiddly, with lots of rules, takes time to set up and play, but way more transparent and straightforward to play. And if you've played Shadow Wars and/or 40K, you feel immediately comfortable with it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2017 08:16 #259136 by stormseeker75
FWIW, I have a copy of Shadespire that's been opened, but nothing is punched or assembled. Willing to sell or trade. PM me if interested.

More
15 Dec 2017 09:06 #259142 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Shadespire or Necromunda?

Vlad wrote: I kinda sorta feel the same way as Barnes that Necromunda is less complex than Shadespire.
I played a little bit of Shadespire in the first week or two after release, and thought it was very accessible. But then I came back to it facing opponents who have been playing more than I did, and find myself completely lost. They pull out these combos and bluff the shit out of me. Which is not to say that Shadespire is all cerebral, because I still manage to get by once in awhile by being lucky. And these are fast games, and you can learn a lot from your mistakes and such.
Necromunda is a complete opposite. It is fiddly, with lots of rules, takes time to set up and play, but way more transparent and straightforward to play. And if you've played Shadow Wars and/or 40K, you feel immediately comfortable with it.

I guess I don't view depth (which you are describing) as the same as rules complexity. Learning and playing Shadespire is much easier than Necromunda in my opinion. That's not to say that there aren't deep strategical considerations and a multitude of deck building options.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
15 Dec 2017 12:55 #259172 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Shadespire or Necromunda?
Yep, you're right. It is rather depth than complexity. My point is that you need to invest time and effort into learning how to play Shadespire if you want to enjoy it. Unless you're playing just the base game with pre-made decks. With Necromunda, you put time&effort into figuring out the fiddly parts (which you can shorten significantly if you are already familiar with old Necromunda, Shadow Wars or 40K) and also building/painting the whole thing (which is no small feat).

More
16 Dec 2017 23:30 - 16 Dec 2017 23:40 #259219 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Shadespire or Necromunda?

blatz wrote: I really want to jump into the GW pool again but I’ve always been far more intrigued by their “boxed games” than the full-on AOS or 40k scene. I own and love Blood Bowl and Space Hulk and want to add another to my collection.

I’m thinking Shadespire would probably hit the table more often but, holy shit, Necromunda looks amazing. I guess my big question about Necromunda is how essential are the 3D rules to the game? Can I play the campaign in 2D or will I need to devote my life to building and painting scenery to get the most out of the system? Also, if not playing the campaign, is it worth getting Necromunda if I already have Earth Reborn?

Sell me on one of these! Or both...

I wish that Charlie had commented on your mention of Earth Reborn. Earth Reborn is a 10/10 game for me. It's truly a gem. Wading through the rules is difficult, but, the reward great. The only fault that I find with it is that I still want MORE of it: more Earth Reborn factions, more map tiles, more scenarios, etc. I do regret noticing your mention of Earth Reborn because it means that I now need to dust it off and get it back on the table. It's been years since I've played it--there's no good reason for that. I still want Necromunda Underhive though. ;-)
Last edit: 16 Dec 2017 23:40 by stoic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
18 Dec 2017 09:18 #259249 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Shadespire or Necromunda?
Oh, I totally skimmed over that and missed it. Necromunda couldn't hold Jack Saw's jock strap. But they're not really the same. Necromunda feels more like a miniatures game with measured movement and limited interactions that extend mainly to shooting. Earth Reborn is fucking wild with interactive terrain, hidden objectives, and tons of special abilities. Long live Earth Reborn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds