October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

My new favorite designer

More
24 Dec 2017 22:22 #259578 by Sagrilarus
New Favorite Designer wrote:

Almost all of my games are ridiculously (purposely) fragile, prone to distortion and built to become imbalanced the second a player makes a mistake. This simultaneously makes my job easier and harder. It's easier because I don't have to spend time ensuring there are comeback mechanisms or that the game is "fair", as I've zero interest in things being "fair". It's harder though because one can fall into the trap of making excuses and overlooking true, unintentional, problematic imbalances - luckily, I have Mary and several playtesters to keep me honest.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, SuperflyPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2017 19:13 #259627 by SuperflyPete
Who, pray tell, is this Avatar of Ameritrash, the Bane of Fair Play?

More
26 Dec 2017 20:40 #259630 by Robert Facepalmer

More
26 Dec 2017 21:23 #259632 by SuperflyPete
I love that guy. Instantly.

More
28 Dec 2017 15:42 #259735 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic My new favorite designer
This is Tom Russel, the guy that runs Hollandspiele, a publisher that I've been watching closely as of late. They release all their games as a published version (usually for between $40 and $100) and in Print 'n Play format via WargameVault.com. I found myself watching three of their titles simultaneously, An Infamous Traffic, Horse & Musket Dawn of an Era, and Table Battles before I realized that all three were from the same place.

An Infamous Traffic is not a Tom Russel title, but is quite a game about quite a topic and provides opportunity to really brutalize your friends. A seriously punchy game that does not brook mistakes with grace. You play well, or you get nuked. I've only gotten one play in but it was quite an experience.

Horse & Musket Dawn of an Era is a Sean Chick title based on the Hold the Line running gear. A bit pricey, EXCEPT for the fact that you can purchase it Print 'n Play for about $15 and you don't need to print the majority of the pieces. It runs on a Hold the Line board (or a Frederick's War board, or a C&C board, etc.) and doesn't use cards, so all you need to print are the chits and that's really easy.

Table Battles is a Tom Russel game and is due to be available for purchase again in just a few days. It's first run sold out quickly and people have been waiting. I made a PnP copy which wasn't hard (I started a thread on it, search for "Table Battles" if you want to see it) and it's a mapless wargame that covers a broad stretch of history. Game plays in about half an hour and has as much in common with Magic as it does with traditional wargames. Power up, keep your enemy on his heels, drive in when you have sufficient advantage. The initiative mechanism is one of the most interesting I've ever seen. Again, play well, or get hurt. One sizable mistake will likely end you; the game teaches lessons with efficiency.

I'm also looking at Grunwald Swords (a Russel title) that I don't know much about but it looks cool, and Supply Lines of the American Revolution (Russel) which is a legit wargame that uses a very interesting combat resolution, focusing more on maneuver and positioning. This one takes 3 hours to play (which means 4 for me) so it won't come out often, but I think it's $14 or something like that on Wargame Vault, some paper and probably some cubes. Worth a shot. The comments I've seen indicate that it is very different than other games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds