October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Counterfeiting article

More
13 Jan 2018 13:04 #260844 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Counterfeiting article

engelstein wrote: A few points:

1. The fact that they're manufacturing offshore has no bearing here. The counterfeits are being done at other factories through scans, etc. I've been doing manufacturing in China and other Asian countries for 30 years on a wide variety of products, and had just one instance of a factory pulling something like this, and we pulled the business fast and told others about the bad actor - there are lists of folks like this, and that particular one quickly went out of business.

We also do a lot of work in fashion (hand bags), supplying stuff to Coach, Michael Kors, Calvin Klein, etc, and frequently visit the factories that assemble their bags. The big fashion places have very strict inventory control systems at these factories. They know exactly how much product (leather, buckles, etc) goes in, and how much comes out. Anything that's listed as 'scrap' needs to be accounted for. I personally know of at least one factory that tried to pull something on Coach, and they lost all the business and are also now defunct.

Almost all counterfeits are done by other factories, not the ones making the products.

2. The tricky thing here is the way Amazon does 'fulfilled by Amazon' products. My understanding (and this is second hand, so it may be completely wrong), is that anyone selling a product sends it into their warehouse, but then it goes into a big pile. So if I ship in 100 games, and Bob sends in 100 of the same game, and I sell one, it may come from my games or Bob's games.

So when people add counterfeits to the big pile, it makes things go off the rails. As a counterfeiter, I can ship in crap, charge very little, and there's a (good) chance that when someone orders a game from me they actually get a real copy - not a counterfeit - that was shipped in by someone else. So it's tough to track down who's doing what. Amazon may have some way of tracing who shipped in the original goods, but I'm not sure.

If I'm buying a fake Coach bag, or a fake Rolex, 99% of the time I know it's fake. That's NOT the case here - you can buy something from a legitimate seller on Amazon and get a counterfeit. If someone is making a choice to buy a counterfeit because they think the 'real thing' is too expensive - maybe you can start justifying it with your vigilante 'the real thing costs too much' MAP bullshit (another discussion), but that doesn't apply here.

That's the bigger problem, I think. If it's a known source selling all counterfeits, you can shut that down, or at least alert people to the bad actors. But this is more complex.

Geoff

Is there a reason the captains of Asmodee can't explain that as well as you did?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2018 14:51 #260851 by Erik Twice
Replied by Erik Twice on topic Counterfeiting article
I'm surprised you haven't seen any boardgame counterfeits, they are certainly on the rise, and fast. You can get all of them through Aliexpress and I've certainly seen them making their way inwards here in Spain. Look:

Coup:
es.aliexpress.com/store/product/Coup-Ref..._5&priceBeautifyAB=0

Dixit
es.aliexpress.com/store/product/Dixit-En..._5&priceBeautifyAB=0

Power Grid. Note that they even have special wooden figures.
es.aliexpress.com/store/product/Power-Gr..._5&priceBeautifyAB=0

Twilight Struggle for 16€
es.aliexpress.com/store/product/english-..._5&priceBeautifyAB=0

Sabouteur. I now see more pirate copies of this game than actual real copies.
es.aliexpress.com/store/product/Mejor-Of..._5&priceBeautifyAB=0

A bunch more too: Lost cities, Blitz Ghost, Condottiere, Love Letter, Patchwork, Pandemic, Mr Jack, Blokus, Tantrix, etc. Most are obvious counterfeits, others are not.

I don't think you guys realize how much of a problem this is going to be in a few years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, Cranberries, Msample

More
13 Jan 2018 15:30 - 13 Jan 2018 15:58 #260855 by Cranberries
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Jan 2018 15:58 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
13 Jan 2018 16:44 - 13 Jan 2018 16:46 #260860 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Counterfeiting article
We have boatlods of them here. My guess is due to income disparity, people are trying to sell these in the US as the real thing. Here we have specific tag for those items that people put on online stores. 7 Wonders for $18! Agricola for $25!

PS. Anyone saying printing yor own is cheaper is dead wrong, even here in Indonesia.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2018 16:46 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Jan 2018 10:23 #260969 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Counterfeiting article

Sevej wrote: PS. Anyone saying printing yor own is cheaper is dead wrong, even here in Indonesia.

This depends on the game, and your quality requirements. I've printed several games recently on the cheap that play every bit as well as the original, and I've gotten in under $12 on them. But, you need to set "Component Quality", the single-most overused phrase in hobby gaming, to one side and focus on enjoying the play. As best I can tell that's beyond most modern gamers' reach.

God help the publishers if they come to terms with it, because most counterfeited copies are fully playable, even if the cards aren't cut perfectly (gasp!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Msample, stoic

More
15 Jan 2018 11:38 #260981 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Counterfeiting article

Sagrilarus wrote:

Sevej wrote: PS. Anyone saying printing yor own is cheaper is dead wrong, even here in Indonesia.

This depends on the game, and your quality requirements. I've printed several games recently on the cheap that play every bit as well as the original, and I've gotten in under $12 on them. But, you need to set "Component Quality", the single-most overused phrase in hobby gaming, to one side and focus on enjoying the play. As best I can tell that's beyond most modern gamers' reach.

God help the publishers if they come to terms with it, because most counterfeited copies are fully playable, even if the cards aren't cut perfectly (gasp!)

THIS. Some of the component gripes I see are so miniscule I just laugh. I recall one thread where a whiner was measuring card thickness FFS.

More
15 Jan 2018 11:59 #260983 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Counterfeiting article
I’m sure he’s amazing fun at parties...

“You know, I’d like this game but it’s too easy to know what your opponent has in their hand. The Glarbled Knobstopper cards are 7 microns thinner than the Everwailing Demonympho and thus you can ever get a climax combo because they’ll know when you have them both!”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds