October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's talk Small-Team Skirmish Games

More
06 Feb 2018 14:36 #263025 by Michael Barnes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2018 16:20 #263039 by Almalik
Does Rumbleslam (fantasy wrestling) count as small team (5 vs 5) skirmish game?

Also a shout out for Mar Attacks! from Mantic. Which is probably cheap to pick up now that the game has died.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
06 Feb 2018 20:28 #263066 by stoic

Almalik wrote: Does Rumbleslam (fantasy wrestling) count as small team (5 vs 5) skirmish game?

Also a shout out for Mar Attacks! from Mantic. Which is probably cheap to pick up now that the game has died.

Rubleslam looks like a lot of fun!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody

More
07 Feb 2018 15:10 #263149 by Michael Barnes
Why have I not heard of that, that looks fun as hell. Sort of like M.U.S.C.L.E.

What about Tannhauser, why does no one talk about Tannhauser anymore. It was a Big Deal for about a minute, wasn't it?

Also kind of weird that Aristeia hasn't had any traction at all, it seems...you'd think the Infinity fan base would be all over it, but there's very little out there about it. Probably in part due to the stupid title.

More
07 Feb 2018 15:37 #263160 by Da Bid Dabid
Rumbleslam is closer to Blood Bowl than anything else really. I found myself asking... why not just play BB? I actually get more of a wrestling vibe from Luchador or Showdown, I think because of the team aspect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
13 Jun 2018 12:07 - 13 Jun 2018 22:46 #275290 by GorillaGrody
After a few months and several iterations, my friends and I have developed a beta for a small-team skirmish game to suit our needs. It's called Special O.P.S. The O.P.S. stands for One Page Skirmish.

Would anyone here like to test it? Here's what you need to know:

1) It's a two-page ruleset (double sided, so one page), designed to use any miniatures you have in your collection. The playtest packet is a pdf that also includes an introduction and a Roster Sheet.
2) Teams are 3-8 figures. Character Creation takes 5-10 minutes.
3) You probably have to like Fate/Fudge Dice, though I think we've streamlined their use in such a way as to make them compelling to skeptics.
4) You need a fair number of identically-shaped tokens in three different colors and an opaque bag. Raiding a copy of Eclipse should do the trick.
5) As with many of these games, terrain is key. You'll need terrain. And a ruler.

Go ahead and PM me here on TWBG if you're interested. Or you can write me. I'm at noslander at gmail dotcom, my name is Greg Purcell.
Last edit: 13 Jun 2018 22:46 by GorillaGrody.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BaronDonut

More
13 Jun 2018 18:44 #275328 by quozl
I might be interested. What does your game do that others don't?

More
13 Jun 2018 20:37 #275332 by GorillaGrody
Well, the problem I have with a lot of skirmish games has been outlined above in the thread. I’d highlight the issue that they often come packaged with a lot of proprietary and legacy crustiness that doesn’t help the game (as with Infinity and Necromunda), or completely capricious resolution systems meant to keep the game decision-light (as with Frostgrave). To that end, we’ve kept the rules light (but expandable), and have kept the resolution tied to the predictable bell curve created by Fate Dice.

My favorite system is A Song of Blades and Heroes, and the only problems I have with it are that it is specific to a generic-Fantasy background, it is specifically melee-centric, and that trying to reverse-engineer character creation for it is a real bear. We’ve attempted to address all of that with quick character creation and balanced ranged combat.

What we hope for with this system is to generate the feel of a a new-school, rules-light, pick-up-and-play RPG in a tactical miniatures game.

I mean, that’s all wishful thinking. We need feedback from playtesters to know whether we’ve approached success. We are excited about it, though.

More
13 Jun 2018 22:10 #275341 by SuperflyPete
If you like the SOBAH system but the meh setting, try Mutants and Death Ray Guns.

Postapoc and cool.

I still say Strange Aeons is the best skirmish game ever made, though.

More
14 Jun 2018 06:48 #275359 by Sevej
Number (4) is intriguing. Is this related to turn order? One for each player and one for funny effects?

More
14 Jun 2018 09:08 - 14 Jun 2018 09:11 #275372 by GorillaGrody
Each figure has three "Activation Slots" around its base. From the document: "Choose a player to draw 3 tokens from the bag ...Starting with the player who received fewer tokens (if players received an equal number, the opponent of the player who last activated a Figure will go first), each player will nominate an Active Figure, filling that Figure’s empty Activation Slot, and then performing Actions. Repeat this process until the player’s pool is depleted. Then, the next player will go in the same way."

As a further note, these Activation Slots can be filled with Stagger, which represents damage taken as well as suppression (as you can't use those slots to Activate). Stagger also determines whether or not you're in Morale (and therefore capable of adding extra tokens to the bag). Take a fourth Stagger, check to see if you go out of action. There are no other markers or tokens used in the game; this distribution between two colors of token does a lot of heavy lifting.

I'll go ahead and post a Dropbox link to the doc. www.dropbox.com/sh/4ielzpaw7s79egw/AAD-p...LjKfdsPgjTfcmDa?dl=0
Last edit: 14 Jun 2018 09:11 by GorillaGrody.

More
14 Jun 2018 10:35 #275377 by BaronDonut
Wanted to jump in here to plug SOPS. I've tested the game in a few iterations with GG and have had a great time, and I'm saying this as a dude who generally can't stand skirmish games.

Not saying this to color anyone's opinion, but to encourage you to give the system a try--I think you'll find it worth your while.

More
14 Jun 2018 14:34 #275410 by quozl
The rules look interesting. They need better organization though. I'll see if I can figure them out and give it a try.

More
14 Jun 2018 15:24 #275419 by GorillaGrody

quozl wrote: The rules look interesting. They need better organization though. I'll see if I can figure them out and give it a try.

Looking for all the feedback I can get. While the development of the game was highly collaborative, I've been left alone during this part of the process to sort through how best to present the rules. Thanks.

More
17 Jun 2018 10:53 #275611 by Sevej
Somehow finished reading it during my hectic one week visit to my parent's house.

I like what you're trying to do. Small team units, with flexibility on activation. Wound/suppression degrades performance, which I always like.

My biggest concern is the number of counters on the table. I also dislike the randomness of getting dodge & focus. That's like wasting action when fails, and that's never a good thing. Of course, players will probably try doing this as their first action when they get more than one activation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds