October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Firefly Adventures

More
09 Feb 2018 17:29 #263297 by stoic
Firefly Adventures was created by stoic
I have great expectations for GaleForce9's Firefly Adventures. This one is starting to hit the streets so what's the buzz?

www.fireflythegame.com

P.S. Are there still fans of Firefly, or, is it fading like BSG? Regarding BSG, I was truly surprised when FFG let the BSG license lapse. It seems like these shows have an expiration date in popular culture.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2018 17:44 #263299 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Firefly Adventures
I'm going to guess Firefly still has currency because it was good and died prematurely. It's James Dean. Jimi Hendrix. Kurt Cobain. There's a longing for the missed potential.

BSG ran its natural course. It aged and expired on time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Sagrilarus, Frohike, Colorcrayons, engineer Al, stoic, ufe20

More
09 Feb 2018 18:12 #263302 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Firefly Adventures

Mr. White wrote: I'm going to guess Firefly still has currency because it was good and died prematurely. It's James Dean. Jimi Hendrix. Kurt Cobain. There's a longing for the missed potential.

BSG ran its natural course. It aged and expired on time.

I think you nailed why Firefly is still somewhat popular. That, and it was sometimes really great.

BSG didn't just run its natural course. It got worse and worse from season to season. I can't remember any other show starting so well and getting so terrible. I passed on the entire fourth season, with no regrets.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
09 Feb 2018 19:40 - 09 Feb 2018 19:42 #263313 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Firefly Adventures
Firefly still is, without question, my very most favorite TV show, and yeah, I’m looking forward to this game. The “boxes with boxes” thing to make the game board that I thought was brilliant in Ice Cool is fully realized here. I’m sure it will be a bitch to play and it will get in its own way, but it looks fantastic. And I still love GF9! They’ve only let me down once with Doctor Who, but I suppose they had to stumble at some point.
Last edit: 09 Feb 2018 19:42 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stoic

More
10 Feb 2018 08:13 #263329 by wkover
Replied by wkover on topic Firefly Adventures

Shellhead wrote: I think you nailed why Firefly is still somewhat popular. That, and it was sometimes really great.

BSG didn't just run its natural course. It got worse and worse from season to season. I can't remember any other show starting so well and getting so terrible. I passed on the entire fourth season, with no regrets.

Funnily enough, I'm watching BSG for the first time right now with my son. We're really enjoying it... so far. In the middle of season 1.

We've also been watching Castle. There's an episode where Nathan Fillion dresses up as a "space cowboy" for Halloween, and his daughter gives him a hard time. Here's the clip:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Mantidman

More
10 Feb 2018 10:06 #263336 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Firefly Adventures
This is a space cowboy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Frohike, ufe20

More
10 Feb 2018 10:14 #263339 by Shellhead

wkover wrote:

Shellhead wrote: I think you nailed why Firefly is still somewhat popular. That, and it was sometimes really great.

Funnily enough, I'm watching BSG for the first time right now with my son. We're really enjoying it... so far. In the middle of season 1.

First season of BSG is great. Second season is good. Third season is very uneven and ends in stupidity, leaving me no hope for season four. It became apparent that the writers were just making things up as they went along, which probably sounds like a fair description of writing to a non-writer. But it's a sloppy way to write, and can close off too many options for ending a story well. For proof, look at the X-Files and Lost.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
10 Feb 2018 10:16 #263340 by Shellhead
I found Cowboy Bebop incredibly overrated, but it's hard to deny that it looks like the inspiration for Firefly. The theme song for Cowboy Bebop is great, and I did like the episode featuring Ed, even though I didn't normally like Ed.

More
10 Feb 2018 11:29 #263345 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Firefly Adventures
FRAK ME! Anyone who just trounced BSG, the greatest show of all time (except for the cryptic season 4), is clearly a FRAKING CYLON.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
10 Feb 2018 14:23 #263359 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Firefly Adventures
I have the entire series on DVD. Still one of the best sci fi shows ever, despite its barely middling S4

More
10 Feb 2018 15:02 #263360 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Firefly Adventures

Shellhead wrote:

wkover wrote:

First season of BSG is great. Second season is good. Third season is very uneven and ends in stupidity, leaving me no hope for season four. It became apparent that the writers were just making things up as they went along, which probably sounds like a fair description of writing to a non-writer. But it's a sloppy way to write, and can close off too many options for ending a story well. For proof, look at the X-Files and Lost.

Sorry Shell, that is just your opinion and only a reflection of the entertainment that you like (and absolutely nothing wrong with that). I enjoyed the whole series of BSG and Lost and was quite happy with the ending in both, and the ratings of both at IMDB (incluidng the final seasons) say I wasn't the only one (but also say others agreed with you).
So wkover if you're enjoying the show, and THE STORY rather than just the action, then watch the whole lot ... and if you don't like it at least you'll know why.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
10 Feb 2018 15:07 #263361 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Firefly Adventures

stoic wrote: FRAK ME! Anyone who just trounced BSG, the greatest show of all time (except for the cryptic season 4), is clearly a FRAKING CYLON.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
10 Feb 2018 19:30 #263372 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Firefly Adventures

hotseatgames wrote: This is a space cowboy.

Can’t it be both?
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, repoman

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.486 seconds