October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Your Ideal Board Game

More
02 Mar 2018 11:25 #264368 by Shellhead
Describe your ideal board game. The game that, if it existed, you would play as often as possible, in preference to any other boardgame. Talk about components, mechanics, setting, license, number of players, average play time, etc. Does this game exist? If so, what is it? If not, why not? Are there some games that come close to your ideal? What is wrong with them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2018 11:36 - 02 Mar 2018 11:50 #264369 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Your Ideal Board Game
I think I'd really like something that had a monster hunting/dystopian/cyber punk type setting. Pretty much like GDWs Dark Conspiracy rpg/Minion Hunter board game.
However, for the hobbyist in me, I'd like there to be a few, high quality minis but the game have a smaller footprint. The size (physical dimensions and component count) of something like Shadespire would be ideal. I'd like it to have the option of head to head (warbands) or co-op play (hunters v gm or AI monsters). Oh, lame I know, but some good fiction to go with it.

Maybe I just want a new, small, minis based boardgame in the dead Dark Conspiracy universe.

I'd also like a Crayon Rail game set in the Old West. Why this doesn't already exist, but there are rail games on mars, the moon, and fantasyland, I have no idea...
Last edit: 02 Mar 2018 11:50 by Mr. White.

More
02 Mar 2018 11:57 #264370 by Michael Barnes
Settlers of Catan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Count Orlok, siberianhusky

More
02 Mar 2018 12:00 #264371 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Your Ideal Board Game

Michael Barnes wrote: Settlers of Catan.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Black Barney

More
02 Mar 2018 12:17 #264372 by san il defanso
I am having trouble thinking of a game more perfect for me than Cosmic Encounter. It's one of those games that has kind of shaped what I want out of games to begin with, so that's my answer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cropcircles, ufe20

More
02 Mar 2018 13:02 #264373 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Your Ideal Board Game
Asking for an ideal game is like asking for an ideal record album or ideal novel. What is ideal changes with time and mood.

However, a strategic level war game based on WW2 level technology but using a different map than the actual earth. Even better, using a map that could be randomized and changed from game to game. A game that would feel like a good strategic game like Unconditional Surrender but where you didn't have the bits that steer you towards actual historical goals or limitations.

Alternatively, a game that should exist but doesn't. A war game set in the Pacific centering around naval conflict which would be double blind, meaning each player would not know where the enemies fleets or units were, and refereed by an app. A rare case where an app would actual help to improve a game. This could be used for any game in an era where recon was imperfect from WW2 back through the American Civil War to Napoleonics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Msample

More
02 Mar 2018 13:04 - 02 Mar 2018 13:06 #264375 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Your Ideal Board Game
X wing is pretty dang close. If I had enough space to just keep a bunch of squadrons on display and ready to play at a moment's notice, that'd be glorious. Although I can't imagine wanting that much of my house taken up by star wars miniatures.

I like positional play and unpredictability in games, as well as customization and simultaneous action selection. Theme that mostly makes sense and is intuitive.
Last edit: 02 Mar 2018 13:06 by Jexik.

More
02 Mar 2018 13:10 #264378 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Your Ideal Board Game

repoman wrote: Asking for an ideal game is like asking for an ideal record album or ideal novel. What is ideal changes with time and mood.

However, a strategic level war game based on WW2 level technology but using a different map than the actual earth. Even better, using a map that could be randomized and changed from game to game. A game that would feel like a good strategic game like Unconditional Surrender but where you didn't have the bits that steer you towards actual historical goals or limitations.

Alternatively, a game that should exist but doesn't. A war game set in the Pacific centering around naval conflict which would be double blind, meaning each player would not know where the enemies fleets or units were, and refereed by an app. A rare case where an app would actual help to improve a game. This could be used for any game in an era where recon was imperfect from WW2 back through the American Civil War to Napoleonics.

I have seen players do double blind games of AH FLAT TOP.

I can't pigeon hole my ideal game into a specific set of parameters. The biggest issue is that enough of my regular opponents want to play it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
02 Mar 2018 13:27 - 02 Mar 2018 13:35 #264381 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Your Ideal Board Game
RELATED

In addition to a game based on Moby Dick and built on the Nemo's War engine, I want a game that solves the following problems:
  • I have no friends that play games
  • Twitchy video games don't appeal to me
  • I want a rich narrative experience that involves other people
  • I don't have time for a true RPG
  • My wife never lets me leave the house because we only have one car
  • I've got two more empty bullet slots so I'm filling this one
  • I'm fifty one years old. I need a game that helps me either embrace the reality of death or effectively ignore it
  • It needs to include a system for filtering out unbearable players
  • I think I'm asking not so much for a game, as for a Tinder-like game matching system for finding players and building community
  • Maybe it could have an integrated social skills test or something
  • Everyone on this site calls each other by their first names. It feels like you're all hanging out together in North Carolina
Last edit: 02 Mar 2018 13:35 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Colorcrayons

More
02 Mar 2018 13:46 #264386 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic Your Ideal Board Game
Memoir 44 is as close to my ideal as I am likely to get.

Wargame. Tactical. Large amount of variety. Plays quick. Demands adaptable planning. Can be soloed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
02 Mar 2018 15:28 #264393 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Your Ideal Board Game

cranberries wrote: RELATED

In addition to a game based on Moby Dick and built on the Nemo's War engine, I want a game that solves the following problems:

• I have no friends that play games
  • Twitchy video games don't appeal to me
  • I want a rich narrative experience that involves other people
  • I don't have time for a true RPG
  • My wife never lets me leave the house because we only have one car
  • I've got two more empty bullet slots so I'm filling this one
  • I'm fifty one years old. I need a game that helps me either embrace the reality of death or effectively ignore it
  • It needs to include a system for filtering out unbearable players
  • I think I'm asking not so much for a game, as for a Tinder-like game matching system for finding players and building community
  • Maybe it could have an integrated social skills test or something
  • Everyone on this site calls each other by their first names. It feels like you're all hanging out together in North Carolina

Skype, Vassal, and a Fortress: Ameritrash Membership Card requirement will likely fill your need. BYOB.

More
02 Mar 2018 15:37 #264395 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Your Ideal Board Game
@cranberries - you need to start playing WoW, in a raiding guild. That'll take care of dealing with lots of people (lots of them annoying as hell) and the familiarization with death. Old fart like you*, you'll be prime officer material.

As for the subject, civ builder with some fighting, in 2 hours or less, with time at the end to run the fancy civ you built a little bit. And a pony. :)

*I'm an old fart too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
02 Mar 2018 16:08 - 02 Mar 2018 16:11 #264398 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Your Ideal Board Game
For the longest time I've wanted a strategic level D-day game that you can learn and play in an evening.

I'd settle for one on the Bulge as an alternative.

Doesn't sound a lot to ask, but apparently it is.

I'm sure I've answered a similar request before with a plea for a game that combines strategy and role-playing narrative that you can play in an evening. But we've kind of got those now and it turns out I didn't want one as much as I thought I did.
Last edit: 02 Mar 2018 16:11 by Matt Thrower.

More
02 Mar 2018 16:27 #264400 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Your Ideal Board Game
* Dollies
* Hex board
* "Take that" card combat that is also really solid so the ambiguities are minimal or non existent.
* Highly fluid and mutable game state because of the above.

Basically I want a version of Wiz-War on a hex board (arbitrary reasons, I view hex as superior) that isnt apt to interpretations on the fly, because it is solid enough to withstand cursory design scrutiny.

I'd agree with Nate that Cosmic is close to perfect though, for an already real idea. I want more than that, but as it stands in reality, its great.

More
02 Mar 2018 17:03 #264402 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Your Ideal Board Game

MattDP wrote: For the longest time I've wanted a strategic level D-day game that you can learn and play in an evening.

I'd settle for one on the Bulge as an alternative.

Doesn't sound a lot to ask, but apparently it is.

I'm sure I've answered a similar request before with a plea for a game that combines strategy and role-playing narrative that you can play in an evening. But we've kind of got those now and it turns out I didn't want one as much as I thought I did.

Have you ever tried One-Page Bulge? Steve Jackson set out to a Battle of the Bulge wargame with rules that are printed on a single page. It was published in 1980.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.326 seconds