October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2662 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Games you can no longer be bothered with

More
29 Mar 2018 11:59 #266589 by ChristopherMD
Anything with deck building needed before playing. I'd rather do pretty much anything other than sitting around trying to build the perfect deck of cards.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2018 12:13 #266594 by SebastianBludd

Mad Dog wrote: Anything with deck building needed before playing. I'd rather do pretty much anything other than sitting around trying to build the perfect deck of cards.

I agree with this, and would extend it to any sort of army building in general, like in X-Wing or Heroscape. It's not that building armies in those games is hard, but I spend too much time trying to gauge my opponent(s) and match their experience/aptitude with army lists, as well as simultaneously matching armies against each other in hopes of achieving something relatively balanced.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
29 Mar 2018 12:26 #266598 by Gary Sax
My problem is not the mechanic but that I don't have any committed friends so the whole thing is moot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Cranberries

More
29 Mar 2018 12:37 - 29 Mar 2018 12:38 #266601 by Josh Look
BSG with expansion stuff that isn’t the Cyclon pursuit board.

Pretty much any American style game published between 2008-2013
Last edit: 29 Mar 2018 12:38 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, SuperflyPete, Colorcrayons

More
29 Mar 2018 13:07 #266615 by Sagrilarus

dysjunct wrote: The rulebook one is the killer for me. If I can’t remember the rules, and the rules are longer than 4ish pages ... nope.

This would likely take me out of boardgaming entirely.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
29 Mar 2018 13:08 #266617 by Gregarius
There are exceptions, but I cringe every time the Setup includes: "Each player grabs an individual player mat..."

More
29 Mar 2018 13:23 - 29 Mar 2018 13:28 #266622 by Colorcrayons
I honestly can't be bothered with FFG (in house design) games. Which is sad, because they are in my backyard.

I used to love the hell out of them back when I lacked any kind of design sense and played anything pushed in front of me.

I dislike them for nearly every reason people have stated in this thread. (Although seriously Mad Dog, knife fights, especially in phone booths, are super fun)
FFG is an aggregate of poor design choices without adding anything revolutionary to the niche they belong in.

Just about everything they design in house tastes like the previous thing they designed. I've eaten for long enough at that banquet table.

Of the modest collection I do have left, none of them are FFG.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2018 13:28 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
29 Mar 2018 14:05 #266628 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I really don't like games with multiple scoring rounds. I can handle games where you score at the end of every turn or when you calculate a score at the end but something doesn't sit right when you score on turns 4, 7 and 10.

More
29 Mar 2018 14:24 - 29 Mar 2018 14:26 #266631 by ChristopherMD

Colorcrayons wrote: I honestly can't be bothered with FFG (in house design) games. Which is sad, because they are in my backyard.

I'm sad to say that looking at my shelves now that basically none of the FFG games I still own has the coveted Forever Shelf status. Note that I already owned some of their Euro reprints so don't count those as FFG.

Arkham Horror - I love it and Eldritch Horror fanholes can eat a bag of dicks, but the group I played it with is no more and doubt I'd introduce it to a new one.

Runebound 2nd - I do like this as a 2-player game but can't say I'd miss it if my house burned down.

DungeonQuest - Love the game but I feel it "needs an expansion to be perfect". Too bad we never got one.

Star Wars Imperial Assault - Closest to Forever Shelf because its Star Wars and owning it means I never have to look at any of those miniature skirmish games on KS.

That's it. Of all the FFG games I've bought and played over the years I'm down to just 4 and only 1 of them I care about.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2018 14:26 by ChristopherMD.

More
29 Mar 2018 14:54 #266635 by Jackwraith

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: I really don't like games with multiple scoring rounds. I can handle games where you score at the end of every turn or when you calculate a score at the end but something doesn't sit right when you score on turns 4, 7 and 10.

I sympathize, but I do still love Britannia (AH version; never played FFG's update.)

I can't do any collectible games anymore. Once I got out of GW and Magic, I just lost the impetus. Part of it is lack of regular opponents; part of it is spending money and never getting to use any of the new stuff, which is frustrating. No card games. No X-Wing. No painted miniatures, both because of the paint and because of the constant expenditure. I'm always tempted when something new shows up, but I'm done with that.

More
29 Mar 2018 15:09 #266638 by ubarose

Josh Look wrote: BSG with expansion stuff that isn’t the Cyclon pursuit board.

I gotta agree with you there, except for a couple of Z-Man games and a couple of reprints of older games, 2008 - 2013 was pretty lame.

More
29 Mar 2018 15:22 #266641 by cdennett

Shellhead wrote: Mansions of Madness. The rules were okay, but the setup was a pain and play was frustrating. I've heard that 2nd edition app fixes everything, but I'm not willing to pay the same high price again in hopes of a better game. They should have at least offered a discount to first edition owners.

Well, they do give you an upgrade pack in the base game that allows you to incorporate all of your 1st Edition monsters, investigators, and map tiles, including the expansions. For FFG, that's pretty damn good. They have packs you can buy with the 1st edition stuff, but they're like $40 each for the two packs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
29 Mar 2018 15:25 #266643 by Josh Look

ubarose wrote:

Josh Look wrote: BSG with expansion stuff that isn’t the Cyclon pursuit board.

I gotta agree with you there, except for a couple of Z-Man games and a couple of reprints of older games, 2008 - 2013 was pretty lame.

I liked it at the time, but most games of that era have not aged well. I’ll take the streamlined back to basics approach modern designs are taking nowadays.

More
29 Mar 2018 15:28 #266644 by ChristopherMD
"But its got great artwork"

I've more and more realized I just don't care what a game looks like. I just want it to be fun to play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Nodens

More
29 Mar 2018 15:34 #266645 by Colorcrayons

Mad Dog wrote:

Colorcrayons wrote: I honestly can't be bothered with FFG (in house design) games. Which is sad, because they are in my backyard.

DungeonQuest - Love the game but I feel it "needs an expansion to be perfect". Too bad we never got one.

I own Dungeonquest as well, (thanks Pete) but I don't consider it a FFG game.

Outside of Chaos in the Old world, I think every game of note that they produced was essentially a reprint of an existing game.

Wiz-War, Cosmic Encounter, etc. They may have done refinements to existing games, for better or worse, but their existing in house designers dont make me want to go and buy anything new they make.

They should just embrace the restoration games mantra, and refrain from doing too much that changes a game. Dungeonquest combat being a prime example, or the board tiles for Nexus Ops (and otherwise notable reprint) being another mistake/lesson that should be learned from.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds