October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Road to Legend - Recommendations for first campaign

More
18 Apr 2008 18:33 #5169 by ironcates
Okay, I'm familiar enough with the rules now. I'm ready to start a campaign. My game group isn't going to play every week and they don't really care for more than 3 hours at a time. I know it's going to be like a year to finish a campaign.

I just bought up all the Descent + expansions after being the OL one game and watching another... my group is pretty much in the same boat *inexperienced*.

What would you recommend? I've made up player mats. I'm thinking I'll just go with the Great Wyrm and Eternal Night and let them do the draw three pick one hero start.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2008 11:52 #6286 by ironcates
So I'm in week two of the campaign and I'm just destroying the heroes. OL 42 Heroes 13 and I have Silver Beasts and 1 Event Treach.

I don't want my group to lose heart. I think we'll give this campaign one more go and hopefully they get a draw on the next dungeon with no beasts. I'll tell them they really need to hit the shop in Riverwatch before going to a dungeon.

They have Mordrog with Mighty (he kicks ass), Andria with Earth Pact (weak), Grey Ker with Born to Bow (Battles well), and Spiritspeaker Mok with Water Pact (weak). The have mostly shop items except Mordrog has Plate Mail and the Bone Dagger he's the only one that can kill the silver beasts well.

Any recommendations?

More
13 May 2008 02:36 #6319 by metalface13
You're in game week 2 of the campaign? Or you've been playing for two weeks? I'm pretty sure the overlord can only purchase one upgrade per Game Week. Well, I guess you could've bought that if you really did gain 42 conquest. Man that's a lot. Don't the heroes know they can give up a dungeon? That's a really viable tactic if they're getting massacred.

Also as for the heroes party composition, I really think each party should consist of 2 melee fighters, 1 rogue/ranger guy and 1 magic user. If you don't have two tanks, I think everyone is going to get slaughtered.

More
13 May 2008 17:23 #6359 by ironcates
Game week 2 actually, 4th week of playing. I've told them they can flee dungeons and they have but always a turn or two later than I would've. Well, the last one I knew it was going to be bad for the heroes I would've turned tail as soon as I saw the dungeon. I had 4 razorwings and a maticore and one master razorwing with 12 extra wounds and 1 extra armor at silver when the heroes had no bonuses or skills to speak of and no copper treasures.

I think I'll house rule the ability to retire a hero and bring in a new one so they can get another tank. My thought is that to retire it costs them 1 CT and one of their heroes must restock at the tavern to recruit a new hero. They can sell all the items the perma-dead hero had at full price and buy shop or random treasure items for the recruited hero with that money.

More
13 May 2008 17:29 #6361 by ironcates
I bought the 1 green treach with the starting XP and Silver Beasts at the beginning of week 2. I've only played the crushing blow once and it didn't really cost the heroes much because I just took away Mordrogs Ring of Protection +1 armor and they just bought it back.

They have a lot of gold. So, I think they should spend a turn buying some copper treasure.

More
13 May 2008 21:31 #6375 by metalface13
Also, I don't think you can buy treachery with your starting OL experience. Only avatar upgrade cards.

More
14 May 2008 17:46 #6420 by Thaadd
FFG team Adventurer got slaughtered first campaign. Choose balance wisely :) (yes, you whiny overlords, that was WITH Nanook being played) I missed the last two sessions due to Real Life stuff (and had a substitute.

This time I have Tahlia with 'Unmovable'. I will be able to Battle twice, set a guard action, attack on the overlord's turn, and move (or move before attacking) equal to my movement of 3. :)

Official party 'Tank'. Aw yeah....

More
14 May 2008 18:08 #6422 by ironcates
They bought a bunch of treasures last night so they're looking a little better but I still beat them on points 6 to 2.

Heroes 15 OL 48

The Treachery has bearly been used 1 Crushing Blow in the first dungeon on a shop item which they just bought back on the next turn. I didn't draw the card before they fled on the second. I'll purchase an Avatar upgrade instead of buying more treach this week, like I was going to, just to make it fair.

I bought 2 more lieutenants in the last two weeks so I have the three Farrow's on the board and silver beasts.

More
15 May 2008 15:06 #6439 by Thaadd
Our group got so badly smashed last night that the OL told us to reroll.

Sigh.

3 mages and my uber tank. You know that whole 'Balance' thing? It's serious business. Now I am a sniper lizard. I begged, and begged to keep the killer Tahlia, but was told I had to repick. Sigh.

I think I need to run a game where I get to be overlord.

More
15 May 2008 15:42 #6444 by ironcates
My party is pretty balanced one tank (3/0/0), one ranger (0/3/0), one mage (0/0/3) and a melee/mage (1/0/2) The tank has 16hp and the rest are at 12hp but they're still getting spanked. Two tanks may just be the way to go.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.662 seconds