October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Weekly Trash: Marvel Heroes

More
13 May 2008 11:06 #6341 by maka
Replied by maka on topic Re:Weekly Trash: Marvel Heroes
Michael Barnes wrote:

It's not the best design, but I don't care.

This comment right here shows one of the things that I think has really fucked up board gaming, and it calls out something everybody does now including me...if a game is fun, and you dig it, who the hell cares about "the design"? When I was growing up gaming, I never scratched my chin and said "Hmm...I don't know about this design". I either had fun or I didn't, and if I didn't then the game sucked. Now people are so caught up on mechanics and all that many times (particularly in reviews) folks never bother to say if they had fun with a game or not. You'll get the bullet list rules precis, but not "Hey, I think this game is really fun". At the end of the, it's the fun that matters, not the design.

You're right. I can certainly value a great design but if the game is not fun it just won't get played again. And that's ultimately more important...

That being said, I don't think MARVEL HEROES is much fun as it should be specifically because of the design...I think the clunkiness of it all gets in the way of the game really bringing out the theme and "Clobberin' Time" seems not so cool as it does in the comics.

I still don't see it as clunky. Once you learn the game well it all flows really well... It's not that hard to reach that point either...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2008 15:33 #6412 by ChristopherMD
I was just reading somewhere that Nexus couldn't renew the license with Marvel so MH won't be reprinted.

More
14 May 2008 15:54 #6414 by metalface13
Really? That doesn't totally surprise me, it's not really a game you'd expect to see on the shelves of Wal-Mart which I'm sure Marvel was wanting.

Looks like I'd better pick up a copy for myself before its worth skyrockets to like $200 or something ridiculous.

More
14 May 2008 16:11 #6415 by Ken B.
Mad Dog wrote:

I was just reading somewhere that Nexus couldn't renew the license with Marvel so MH won't be reprinted.

Yep, that's too bad. I wonder if that means that those who have "concerns" with it now will turn around in five years and be paying sky-high prices for it. "Man, remember Marvel Heroes!?!"

Given how quirky licensed reprints are, I'm guessing that once this one's gone, it's gone (for proof of that, just look at how anything Star Wars-related never gets reprinted...or the hang-ups with Dune...heck, I'm surprised War of the Ring has remained in print so long, and when that one finally goes OOP, you'd better believe that people had better snatch up a copy before they are completely gone.)

I think Francesco or Roberto has been hanging out in the BGG Marvel Heroes forums, discussing potential errata for Doom and/or the Richards. Currently I think they're discussing removing Doom's handicap completely as well as adding to the Doombots Master Plan that Doom's henchmen rating increases to 2. I'm not sure that either of those will correct the perceived problems with the overpowered Richards family, as neither of those help all that much (except forcing the boost-nullifying power to be triggered more often.)

More
14 May 2008 16:38 #6418 by ChristopherMD
Ken B. wrote:

heck, I'm surprised War of the Ring has remained in print so long, and when that one finally goes OOP, you'd better believe that people had better snatch up a copy before they are completely gone.)

I'm currently holding a friends copy hostage until the deluxe edition is either released or cancelled. Even still its been very tempting to pick up the current edition anyways.

More
14 May 2008 18:57 #6423 by maka
Replied by maka on topic Re:Weekly Trash: Marvel Heroes
Mad Dog wrote:

That's too bad. I'm glad at least it was released, but it's a shame... Also because chances of an expansion are now nil...

BTW, The proposed change by one of the designers also involved the Richards. Reed gets to use his attack power only on the attack phase and Sue gets to use her support power only on the defense phase.

I don't know if it'll be to harsh a fix, but I'm willing to try it out

-Jorge

More
15 May 2008 00:14 #6425 by metalface13
I thought FFG was going to reprint War of the Ring in the near future.

More
15 May 2008 01:02 #6426 by Ken B.
metalface13 wrote:

I thought FFG was going to reprint War of the Ring in the near future.

They are. I was merely commenting that it's odd it has stayed in print for so long, as licensed games just don't do that. WotR was released in the later part of 2004. Licensed games like that (whether Epic Duels, LOTR Risk, what have you) tend to only stay in print for a short while and then go away and are rarely if ever reprinted.

I'm guessing it's the royalties thing that makes this so...as sales diminish, paying royalties and licensing fees become no longer worth it. So I'm guessing that WotR has been a huge success to have kept it in print for so long.

If you're still waiting, the base game isn't getting any cheaper...I always thought $60 was low for WotR...seriously, compare Tannhauser and WotR at the $60 price point. However, with the new print run the price has crept up $10 to a more realistic $70.

More
16 May 2008 11:01 #6487 by ChristopherMD
If anyone wants to do next weeks just say so. Otherwise I'll post something.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds