October 09, 2023
2452 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Would you shell out the cash top buy Dune now or wait for the FFG reprint?

More
16 Jan 2008 14:59 #842 by billyz
This is something that has been eating at me for the past while. I have plenty of acces to minty copies of Descartes' french Dune (what with living in the Montreal area and all) for a reasonable-ish price range-- but I don't know if I should pull the trigger.

Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2008 15:01 #843 by Michael Barnes
Pull trigger. And get me one too, I'll Paypal you.

The French edition is really cool...I don't have a preference for one over the other, but it's more than acceptable, and you're going to probably want it _along with_ the FFG edition...kinda like how I still have my original GW FURY OF DRACULA.

Seriously, if you have access to copies, let's work something out.

More
16 Jan 2008 15:07 #845 by Shellhead
If you have the time, you can assemble your own copy of the original Dune using all the scans and downloads related to the original online. I hate to say it, but I would rather do that than buy a re-themed one from Fantasy Flight, because the original Dune was totally built around the source material.

More
16 Jan 2008 15:11 #847 by Pat
billyz wrote:

This is something that has been eating at me for the past while. I have plenty of acces to minty copies of Descartes' french Dune (what with living in the Montreal area and all) for a reasonable-ish price range-- but I don't know if I should pull the trigger.

Thoughts?

At the Valet?

More
16 Jan 2008 15:11 #848 by Rliyen
Michael Barnes wrote:

Pull trigger. And get me one too, I'll Paypal you.

The French edition is really cool...I don't have a preference for one over the other, but it's more than acceptable, and you're going to probably want it _along with_ the FFG edition...kinda like how I still have my original GW FURY OF DRACULA.

Seriously, if you have access to copies, let's work something out.

I can't believe I'm saying this...

Make that two. I loved the look of the French version. Gotta spend my raise somehow!

More
16 Jan 2008 15:46 #853 by mikelawson
Mike, how important is it to play Dune with the full complement of players? I can usually scrape together 3 people to play games, and you can still play a decent game of Civ with 3-4 people. However, Diplomacy with less than the full 7 kind of falls flat.

For me, that's a pretty critical issue to buying Dune.

--Mike L.

More
16 Jan 2008 18:31 #870 by Michael Barnes
I've had the fortune to never play the game with less than six, believe it or not...but Robert says it's fine with five, and I think it would be- leave out the Bene Gesserit. Don't know about a 3-4 player game, you'd really miss a lot of the ways the powers interact. It may work, I'll have to try it some time.

I'll bet you dollars to dimes that FFG "fixes" that deficiency with a more scalable set of powers. Not necessarily a bad thing.

More
16 Jan 2008 18:49 #873 by BigLizard
Would each player taking 2 factions work at all?

More
17 Jan 2008 03:41 #906 by billyz
Mike & Rliyen: No prob guys ,PM me with a price range you're comfortable with and I'll see if I can hook a mammal up :).

Pat: Nah. I just snoop around BGG and Ebay 'till I find somebody that lives in or around DA VILLE, write them up and see if the thought of a cash money transaction interests them. That's how I found my copy of Magic Realm.

You:d be surprised what the prospect of cash in hand, postal\border free transaction does for some people... it's just a matter of being patient.

Billy Z.

More
17 Jan 2008 10:23 #927 by Ken B.
I've always wanted a copy of Dune but every affordable copy I've ever seen on ebay looks like it's been through someone's washing machine.

More
17 Jan 2008 11:15 #941 by LilRed
I would shell out the cash and buy one now! Well I wouldn't go with the french edition tho. Since highschool my french has become extremely rusty. IFFFG would have not rethemed it to the twilight imperium universe I would wait. Somehow retheming a game that is so full of theme seems wrong. They'll probably use the same mechanics and get a whole different theme around it, and it would be a kick ass game. But it wouldn't be Dune.

More
17 Jan 2008 12:34 #960 by Shellhead
Maybe I will buy the FFG edition when it comes out, and then re-theme the components with label paper copies of the original. That way, I have a clear conscience about paying for the game, but I pay a reasonable price and also get the theme I want.

More
17 Jan 2008 14:18 #979 by JoelCFC25
I can't bear the thought of Dune rethemed into something else. Don't get me wrong, FFG rocks my socks--but the reprint just won't be the same.

Best of luck to them though, the obstinence of the Dune property owners isn't their fault.

I'd buy one of the old French copies in a heartbeat.

More
17 Jan 2008 14:38 #984 by mikelawson
BigLizard wrote:

Would each player taking 2 factions work at all?

That, I don't know. I don't know the rules, but my first thought would be that it'd be a bit different than, say Citadels with 4 or fewer people. What may make sense is that a TI themed redo would allow FFG to change the factions in the game (and possibly the game map) to allow fewer people to cover similar ground; like what Civ does for fewer people.

--Mike L.

More
17 Jan 2008 17:12 #999 by billyz
Alright I guess I'll start saving up now. I say this because I know that there is no way my lazy ass could be bothered to print up my own copy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds