October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Warfighter: your impressions?

More
02 Jan 2016 12:15 #218870 by MacDirk Diggler
I gotta second what Craniac said. It's not fair to blame a review for your ultimate dissatisfaction with a game purchase. Caveat emptor and all that jazz is in play. A video playthrough as well as a copy of the rules are available on the dvg website. If you were too lazy to do any prepurchase due diligence then the blame lies solely on you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2016 12:55 #218874 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Warfighter: your impressions?

ThirstyMan wrote: Well, I'm really pleased that you can trade away your copy and rebuy it at will.

I cannot do this as I live in a country which has no operational postal service. Next time you write a comment where you whitter about firing Up Front, just make sure that you qualify that for those people that read your comments and then spend $180 to get it shipped to them, only to find it is far from a tactical game, it is a resource management game which I never wanted in the first place.

Hey ThirstyMan, I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Warfighter. If I could buy you a pint or two, I would. I too have purchased games glowingly described here on F:AT (and elsewhere) only to have purchased a pig-in-a-poke--others liked the games, but, I ended up hating them. It happens. I just right it off as a 'lost in translation" moment due to the limitations of unilateral communication and the fact that we're all different individuals with, perhaps, similar, but, very different tastes.

And, no, I don't have deep pockets. I acquire my games mostly through selling off old games, thrifting and trading. So, yes, it hurts when I purchase a "dud."

There are many comments, reviews and videos describing Warfighter on the Net. There isn't much of a mystery about how its actual game play unfolds. For me (and others), Warfighter did fire Up Front. Up Front is talked about as the "Holy Grail" of the card based squad level tactical gaming experience. It really never hits the table, nowadays, because you won't be able to easily find an opponent--the rules are complex, and, among other things, it sucks as a solitaire experience. Up Front's status as a game-in-print was also in doubt when Warfighter first hit the market.

On the other hand, Warfighter can and will hit your table--it provides a card based squad level story of tactical combat--you get to watch that story unfold. Overall, I spent about 10 hours with Warfighter watching interesting and varied squad level tactical combat stories develop--it's the narrative that sells this game and its the subsequent connection that you build with your soldiers that makes it worth trying.

The reviews that I read, including Charlie's, promised that type of narrative: a squad level tactical combat story telling experience where you developed a connection to your soldiers--Warfighter delivers that.

Having recently purchased and played Ares Project, if you're looking for something more similar to Up Front, other than a squad based story telling experience, then I can recommend Ares Project. It has a card based combat experience where you get to move your soldiers around in a tactical way with flanking etc. Ares Project has been described as having elements from Up Front and Titan--I'm beginning to see that, but, I need to play it more to reach an opinion.

Again, sorry about your experience with a "dud" purchase.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
03 Jan 2016 03:14 - 03 Jan 2016 03:22 #218891 by ThirstyMan

craniac wrote: I would think that if you were capable of choosing to live where you do, with all the benefits and drawbacks that living there entails, then you could also choose to read reviews at Consimworld, from grognards, before investing $180 in a game. I learned a while ago that enthusiastic reviews on F:AT do not necessarily translate to my gaming context.

I generally trust people here more than CSW. Clearly a mistake.

stoic wrote:
Hey ThirstyMan, I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Warfighter. If I could buy you a pint or two, I would. I too have purchased games glowingly described here on F:AT (and elsewhere) only to have purchased a pig-in-a-poke--others liked the games, but, I ended up hating them. It happens. I just right it off as a 'lost in translation" moment due to the limitations of unilateral communication and the fact that we're all different individuals with, perhaps, similar, but, very different tastes.

And, no, I don't have deep pockets. I acquire my games mostly through selling off old games, thrifting and trading. So, yes, it hurts when I purchase a "dud."

There are many comments, reviews and videos describing Warfighter on the Net. There isn't much of a mystery about how its actual game play unfolds. For me (and others), Warfighter did fire Up Front. Up Front is talked about as the "Holy Grail" of the card based squad level tactical gaming experience. It really never hits the table, nowadays, because you won't be able to easily find an opponent--the rules are complex, and, among other things, it sucks as a solitaire experience. Up Front's status as a game-in-print was also in doubt when Warfighter first hit the market.

On the other hand, Warfighter can and will hit your table--it provides a card based squad level story of tactical combat--you get to watch that story unfold. Overall, I spent about 10 hours with Warfighter watching interesting and varied squad level tactical combat stories develop--it's the narrative that sells this game and its the subsequent connection that you build with your soldiers that makes it worth trying.

The reviews that I read, including Charlie's, promised that type of narrative: a squad level tactical combat story telling experience where you developed a connection to your soldiers--Warfighter delivers that.

Having recently purchased and played Ares Project, if you're looking for something more similar to Up Front, other than a squad based story telling experience, then I can recommend Ares Project. It has a card based combat experience where you get to move your soldiers around in a tactical way with flanking etc. Ares Project has been described as having elements from Up Front and Titan--I'm beginning to see that, but, I need to play it more to reach an opinion.

Again, sorry about your experience with a "dud" purchase.

I have to totally disagree with you regarding Up Front as Up Front is a two player competitive game and cannot be compared to a story telling solo game. I actually have Ares Project and don't like it all because of its LACK of meaningful narrative. Go figure. As mentioned, the reviews I trust are mainly from here but I expect to see the downsides as well as the upsides.

There are no meaningful reviews on BGG and unboxing reviews on CSW, I also despise. It is here that I get information on new games so, Cranaic, this is where my due diligence lies with people I trust not with randos on CSW or BGG. Doesn't add anything to my knowledge base.

One would think people would be happy that this is the site I trust above all others but no, apparently I'm a dick for not going to CSW or BGG. Yeah, right.
Last edit: 03 Jan 2016 03:22 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.338 seconds