October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Companies Running Their Own Pre-Order Campaigns?

More
11 Feb 2016 10:01 #222255 by Mr. White
So, not sure if this is new news or not, but I don't think we've talked about this. Looks like Portal is running a 'not-KS' campaign. They have a pre-order up on their site for the new 51st State edition...complete with stretch goals.

portalgames.pl/new_en/51st-state/
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2016 10:25 #222257 by SuperflyPete
Why give 10% to Kickstarter when you can do it yourself?

More
11 Feb 2016 10:42 - 11 Feb 2016 11:20 #222259 by bfkiller
I recently pre-ordered Cave Evil: Warcults on the EEE site. I sometimes wonder why he doesn't go Kickstarter for more exposure, but his projects are so niche that it maybe wouldn't make much of a difference when it comes to sales.

Though I'm also not convinced that money is a strong motivator for him to design games.

EDIT: I say "him" referring to Nate Hayden, but should probably say "them" since he's not the only designer of these games.

EDIT2: Ah. I didn't click on the link in the first post originally so didn't see how much this 51st State "campaign" mimics the Kickstarter style before I responded.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2016 11:20 by bfkiller.

More
11 Feb 2016 10:54 - 11 Feb 2016 10:57 #222260 by Sagrilarus
You guys are tongue-in-cheek here, right?

You must be. I withdraw the question.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2016 10:57 by Sagrilarus.

More
11 Feb 2016 11:06 #222262 by Columbob

Sagrilarus wrote: You guys are tongue-in-cheek here, right?

The new thing here are the stretch goals. Don't remember any P500 with any of those.

More
11 Feb 2016 11:13 - 11 Feb 2016 11:22 #222263 by bfkiller

Columbob wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: You guys are tongue-in-cheek here, right?

The new thing here are the stretch goals. Don't remember any P500 with any of those.

I also think a "new" (but not really new) thing is to continue doing pre-order systems in a world in which crowd-funding infrastructures exist and some projects are able to make 6 or even 7 figures.

EDIT: Ah. I didn't click on the link in the first post originally so didn't see how much this 51st State "campaign" mimics the Kickstarter style before I responded.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2016 11:22 by bfkiller.

More
11 Feb 2016 11:40 #222264 by Gary Sax
Actually, there's a little precedent w/P500, though not for announced stretch goals. P500 occasionally used to give minor bonuses to preorder people that ordinary buyers didn't get. Not much---like an extra scenario or something---but still something.

More
11 Feb 2016 11:58 #222265 by Legomancer
I preordered it, and not for any of the stretch goal reasons. I really don't give a crap about stories included with games, and the one SG that makes a gameplay difference (2 extra factions) is unlikely to get hit anyway.

I preordered because it's 51st State, one of my favorite games. Concerns about this edition aside, I knew I'd get it anyway. Plus I get to drop some cash directly into Ignacy's hands, and I've liked just about all his stuff.

But as he says, the game will get made. This isn't any kind of "without you it's impossible" fake-ass sob story like Kickstarter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
11 Feb 2016 12:18 #222268 by charlest

bfkiller wrote: I recently pre-ordered Cave Evil: Warcults on the EEE site. I sometimes wonder why he doesn't go Kickstarter for more exposure, but his projects are so niche that it maybe wouldn't make much of a difference when it comes to sales.

Though I'm also not convinced that money is a strong motivator for him to design games.

EDIT: I say "him" referring to Nate Hayden, but should probably say "them" since he's not the only designer of these games.

EDIT2: Ah. I didn't click on the link in the first post originally so didn't see how much this 51st State "campaign" mimics the Kickstarter style before I responded.

Indeed it's a conscious choice to keep it low key. When talking to him in the past he described his games as things he put out there and if people were interested in them they'd come and find them. He doesn't feel like he should be pushing his games on people.

Interesting dude.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
11 Feb 2016 12:34 - 11 Feb 2016 13:51 #222270 by Mr. White

charlest wrote:

bfkiller wrote: I recently pre-ordered Cave Evil: Warcults on the EEE site. I sometimes wonder why he doesn't go Kickstarter for more exposure, but his projects are so niche that it maybe wouldn't make much of a difference when it comes to sales.

Indeed it's a conscious choice to keep it low key. When talking to him in the past he described his games as things he put out there and if people were interested in them they'd come and find them. He doesn't feel like he should be pushing his games on people.

Interesting dude.

Very old school punk rock.

Used to be if you saw someone in a Germs or Misfits shirt you knew they had the same point of reference as you. Another kindred spirit outside of the mainstream. Now with the advent of Hot Topic and stuff, someone in a Misfits shirt doesn't really tell you anything.

Maybe this is as similar as it gets in board gaming. Seeing someone playing Cave Evil lets you know they dig a little deeper into the hobby besides what's hot on BGG.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2016 13:51 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, bfkiller, Frohike, charlest

More
17 Feb 2016 21:18 - 17 Feb 2016 21:19 #222722 by Mr. White
Well, looking at this campaign a few days later...and I don't think we have any idea how much has been paid or how far we are to the next stretch goal. Obviously, being on KS would allow for more timely transparency as well as likely giving the game's campaign a more visible platform. KS would serve as a marketing tool if nothing else. As it stands, I don't know of anything besides a thread or two at BGG (and this one) that would be pointing eyeballs to the Portal site.

Shame too as fiction in this world is something I'm very interested in.
Last edit: 17 Feb 2016 21:19 by Mr. White.

More
18 Feb 2016 00:08 #222726 by Space Ghost

Mr. White wrote:

charlest wrote:

Interesting dude.

Very old school punk rock.

Used to be if you saw someone in a Germs or Misfits shirt you knew they had the same point of reference as you. Another kindred spirit outside of the mainstream. Now with the advent of Hot Topic and stuff, someone in a Misfits shirt doesn't really tell you anything.

Maybe this is as similar as it gets in board gaming. Seeing someone playing Cave Evil lets you know they dig a little deeper into the hobby besides what's hot on BGG.

We have been exclusively playing Cave Evil and Psycho Raiders lately. Both games are just excellent. I missed out on the Warcults preorder and am hoping that there are a few leftover that I an purchase directly. I think I am going to have to sleeve the Cave Evil cards -- we have been playing so much they are starting to show wear and I know that I won't be able to replace them.

More
18 Feb 2016 07:43 #222733 by Cambyses

Space Ghost wrote: I think I am going to have to sleeve the Cave Evil cards -- we have been playing so much they are starting to show wear and I know that I won't be able to replace them.

You have no idea how much I dream about being able to say this sentence and have it be true.

More
18 Feb 2016 08:48 #222736 by Sagrilarus

Cambyses wrote:

Space Ghost wrote: I think I am going to have to sleeve the Cave Evil cards -- we have been playing so much they are starting to show wear and I know that I won't be able to replace them.

You have no idea how much I dream about being able to say this sentence and have it be true.

Cards are much easier to replace than you may think. You can get decks go for about $4 once you're done with the scanning.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds