October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

No one is getting rich from exploding kittens

More
23 Feb 2016 12:32 #223060 by Sagrilarus
No one is getting rich from exploding kittens Translation -- I sold a million dollars worth of game and I'm not getting all of it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Msample, Erik Twice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2016 13:14 #223061 by Gregarius

Gary Sax wrote: Famous artist, guy who does The Oatmeal webcomic. He has VERY dedicated fans. Look into Tesla museum stuff to see another example.

To add to this-- I have no doubt that a large number of people got in on the game just to admire/enjoy the artwork, and another large portion joined just to be "part of the club." The game itself was mostly irrelevant. That seems hard for a lot of gamers to grasp.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Erik Twice

More
23 Feb 2016 13:47 #223062 by SuperflyPete
I cannot envision anyone looking at making a hundred grand or more as anything but "a big fucking win".

More
23 Feb 2016 14:03 #223065 by Jexik

SuperflyTNT wrote: I, personally, find Exploding Kittens as fun or more fun than Old Maid and Go Fish. Less fun than Uno, though. In any event, I paid like 20$ for it, which is the same I'd pay for a pizza and an order of bread sticks. That said, I'm already a fan of the Oatmeal comic, and I personally backed the game solely because of the enjoyment I got from this: theoatmeal.com/pterodactyl_video

This thread sounds like a bunch of dudes with some jealousy issues, for real. The guys are making money doing something they love, which is as close to "living the dream" as possible. Fuck yeah, good on them.

I've never followed the Oatmeal, but like I said, the games we play matter as a way to spend our time. If it's all about the people you're spending time with and you'd like to enjoy the Oatmeal artwork or jokes, I think watching that video for 3 minutes is a lot more fun than playing this game. I also like Uno better than it, probably Go Fish too, and those are both cheaper and can be grabbed while waiting for the person in front of you to buy their deodorant at Target.

I couldn't imagine that the development for this game took any longer than a few months. I'm not sure how long the art took to make, but it's not my thing. I can think of at least a dozen games that cost me $20 or less that I'll play again and again. I hope to never play this game again. You can call that jealousy if you want, but it's an awful game.

More
23 Feb 2016 14:09 #223066 by SebastianBludd
Having read the whole article, it appears that it was written to justify why this project was funded via KS, as well as explaining to mouth-breathing internet idiots that the money collected was not 100% profit and that most of it will go to production, shipping and fees. The fact they feel the need to offer a justification in an article is astounding to me, and shows that Kickstarter Backer Entitlement Syndrome has yet to reach it's nadir.

So far I've seen backers bitch about creators offering "exclusives" at retail, shipping items to retail before fulfilling pledges (despite there never being a delivered-before-retail promise) and not having constant updates. Now you have the amateur business experts weighing in with their demand for an accounting of where their money went. The percentage of backers who are thin-skinned, hysterical fucking babies are the #1 reason I would not want to fund a project via KS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, Erik Twice

More
23 Feb 2016 14:23 #223068 by MacDirk Diggler
Nobody got rich off Twilight Struggle either, apparently.

Five years ago I met Chris Withers at a board game meetup. He was at the time a 3 time WBC champion of Twilight Struggle. He told me he had the opportunity to meet the designer. The guy told him he only made about $25 grand from it and at that time it was the top rated game on BGG.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
23 Feb 2016 14:47 #223075 by jeb

Alastair MacDirk wrote: Nobody got rich off Twilight Struggle either, apparently.

Five years ago I met Chris Withers at a board game meetup. He was at the time a 3 time WBC champion of Twilight Struggle. He told me he had the opportunity to meet the designer. The guy told him he only made about $25 grand from it and at that time it was the top rated game on BGG.

Shoulda had The Oatmeal draw the map. Some fat farting russkies would have meant money in the bank!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
23 Feb 2016 15:06 #223079 by Cranberries
Who is getting rich? Reiner Knizia?

More
23 Feb 2016 15:29 #223081 by metalface13

craniac wrote: Who is getting rich? Reiner Knizia?

Christian Petersen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Feb 2016 16:36 #223091 by Msample

jeb wrote:

Alastair MacDirk wrote: Nobody got rich off Twilight Struggle either, apparently.

Shoulda had The Oatmeal draw the map. Some fat farting russkies would have meant money in the bank!

That sounds about right. Royalties on the wargame side are only a few percentage points of sales if that, and that's wholesale I believe . At that time, TS had sold maybe 30,000 copies. Its had a few print runs since then; IIRC a year ago Gene Billingsley said it had sold about 50K copies. That's damn good for a company of GMT's scale.

If you're selling direct to consumer a la Kickstarter you can make more money per unit for sure.

More
23 Feb 2016 17:56 #223099 by Ska_baron

metalface13 wrote:

craniac wrote: Who is getting rich? Reiner Knizia?

Christian Petersen.

Zev? #hopefully

More
23 Feb 2016 17:59 #223100 by ChristopherMD
How sad is it that even the $25 grand is a lot of money to me?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
23 Feb 2016 18:01 #223101 by Black Barney
It's a lot of money to most people, Dog. It's more sad that you think it's sad. It isn't. It's objectively a lot of money.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, ChristopherMD

More
23 Feb 2016 18:16 #223105 by hotseatgames
I dropped $25k on the ground the other day. Couldn't be bothered to pick it up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
23 Feb 2016 19:32 #223106 by Michael Barnes
Fuck these people. Seriously. I've spoken with publishers and game designers- folks who have made known, successful hobby market games- and they've made FIVE and even FOUR digit profits off them. Big name games, too.

Boo fucking hoo, their little piece of shit card game- which is like any number of other on-the-market piece of shit card games but with "beloved" (?) art by someone that does a Web site- OUTPERFORMED pretty much all of them and netted them an in-the-pocket profit that exceeds what a lot of titles muster, at least in the tiers below the big FFG/Z-Man/Asmodee type games that sell in almost mass market quantities.

I mean shit, if I slapped together some bullshit card game with a funny meme to appeal to internet-addicted teenagers and made FIVE HUNDRED BUCKS off it I'd be happy. Anybody that thinks they are going to make millions of dollars off just about any kind of game is a fucking idiot.

This is about like when somebody goes into Pawn Stars with something they think is worth $50,000 and Rick shoots them down with a $500 offer. And the crestfallen person limps off "I know it's really worth $50,000, someone is going to pay me that for this".

I mean, seriously...SIX FIGURE profit and there's crybabyism about "not getting rich" from a rinky dink card game? What the fuck did these people expect, for it to be the next Magic: The Gathering?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, Erik Twice

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.590 seconds