October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Let's Talk CONDOTTIERE

More
13 Apr 2016 19:11 - 13 Apr 2016 21:41 #225817 by wadenels
Finally got around to playing the FFG version of Condottiere. I've played the older Eurogames 2nd edition a ton, and I've now only played the FFG rules changes once, so I can't give a real in-depth compare & contrast. I've got some thoughts though.

The Eurogames edition of Condottiere might have one of the most criminally large-componented versions of a simple game I've ever seen. The board is big, the cards are nearly Dixit-sized, and even with all that the box has a lot of dead space. FFG's is nice and compact. The Eurogames board is much easier to see though, especially with a normal-sized table; in addition to its size it has clearer borders between territories. I slightly prefer the Eurogames card artwork, but FFG's is perfectly fine as well.

Rules-wise they're really pretty different. The turn/round sequences and rules are the same, with one notable exception. FFG lets the last player to have cards in his hand hold over up to two of them for the next round, while Eurogames does not. Eurogames gives +2 cards per conquered area on the next deal though, where FFG gives +1. This change provides less of a strong-get-stronger angle while giving players more control over future rounds if they can hang long enough to be that last player with cards while having anything worth holding on to.

The card changes are mostly minor, with the exception of Spring, Bishop, and Courtesans. Spring is entirely new; it basically makes your strongest Mercenary cards stronger by +3. I don't know how I feel about this yet. Having the Spring card in play makes your card play more interesting, but it also makes the game just a little bit more mathy than it really needs to be. Courtesans basically give you the chance to get the Condottiere token even if you didn't win the battle, but are always worth only 1 point in battle as they're unaffected by cards like Drums and Spring. I like the Courtesans, as they can sometimes help you gain some control over the game when you may otherwise be a bit down and out. The Bishop is really the big change. Eurogames' Bishop ended the battle with no victor. FFG's Bishop instead discards all Mercenaries of the highest rank on the table and allows the player to place the Pope pawn on an area, which blocks the Condottiere from that area effectively making it unable to be claimed until another player plays a Bishop and moves the Pope. I like the old Bishop better because of its simplicity and its utility to player(s) who can't win a battle.

I haven't played FFG's Condottiere enough to have a strong opinion on it yet, but so far I like some changes while I'm lukewarm or a little cold on others. The twist is that, unless you prefer the gigantic components and box, there's no reason at all to try track down an older edition. FFG really made the right choice by small-boxing this game, and if you're interested in Condottiere at all the FFG card distribution is such that the original rules can be played just by removing a handful of cards from the FFG deck and having the old rules handy. All the rules you need to do it you can get at my regular gaming doc vault . Print the Condottiere docs and you've got two different takes on a really great game in one solid package.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2016 21:41 by wadenels. Reason: fixed link
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Columbob, Frohike, birdman37, aaxiom, stoic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2016 22:21 - 14 Apr 2016 08:01 #225826 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Let's Talk CONDOTTIERE
When did this game come out? 1995? Then it's likely my favorite new game since 1995. It's definitely my most played game that's come out in the past 20 years.

I came at it from the other side though...FFG first. It wasn't until a year or two ago that I picked up the old Eurogames edition...and it is beautiful. However, I sold it off. The card art, condottiere token, all are better, however I actually prefer the changes (rules and size) to the FFG game. I'm totally aware that it could be bias towards the edition I've played the most, but from where I sit the small, mathy additions like Spring help the game move a few steps away from poker. I'm also a big fan of the new Bishop and the movement of the Pope. Gives the game a little bit more narrative and strategy. Also, yes, the Courtesans add another level of strategy that is missing from the Eurogames edition.

I've played this game pretty much non-stop since about '07 and I have yet to even incorporate _any_ of FFG's variants they included in the back of the rulebook. Rules like...being able to retake a territory and such. They sound like they'd be fun and add a new dynamic...but the FFG base game is exactly where it needs to be in regards to complexity and length. Love the portability of the thing to. I haven't played Skull, but so far, this has been the best dollar per fun value in gaming ever since the euro craze hit.

Man, this game has been played on so many pub and diner tables...I really need to replace my tattered copy...

You are right though, regardless of edition, this game is a jewel!

EDIT: My favorite card is on the left. I like to proclaim..."Behold! The Two of Swords!" like it's a bad-ass card when I drop it
Last edit: 14 Apr 2016 08:01 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MacDirk Diggler, Columbob, birdman37, wadenels, stoic

More
14 Apr 2016 17:41 - 14 Apr 2016 18:20 #225876 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Let's Talk CONDOTTIERE
I haven't played any of the variants either. The retaking a territory one that you mentioned sounds like it might be fun but also make the game longer, and I like the idea of playing a few quick games in succession more than a couple drawn out games.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either ruleset though. Eurogames probably has the cleaner design, but FFG's changes do provide more narrative. Haven't played the changes enough to decide if there's more depth, but my early impression is that there might be.

I love the low-value Mercenaries; not only do they buy you some stalling time before you decide how far you want to commit in a battle, they're great compliments to Drums or Winter. My favorite card is probably the Sparrow though. I use it all the time as either a stalling tactic or to get a big card back when the only reason I played it in the first place was to get another player to overcommit strength to a battle. That's risky though, when the other players have Sparrows, Bishops, or Surrender cards lying in wait.
Last edit: 14 Apr 2016 18:20 by wadenels.

More
15 Apr 2016 11:56 #225906 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic Let's Talk CONDOTTIERE
I sold my old Condottierre and kept Illiad.

More
15 Apr 2016 13:56 #225915 by Michael Barnes
Wow, really? My Condo-playing friends HATED Iliad. Something about it just set us off on the wrong foot with it. I had actually forgotten about it until you reminded me.

That said, we haven't played Condo in a very, very long time. My little FFG edition (which I still have) hasn't seen play in like six or seven years...but it is a really good game. I think the last time it was considered we wound up doing Ivanhoe instead, which I probably like a little more. It's even simpler/more direct but it has that Pokery "how bad do you want to win this fight" feel.

That old edition was hilarious man, I remember seeing that in the game shop and being like WHOA A CARD GAME. I kind of miss those old Eurogames Descartes titles...there was a period in the late 1990s where they seemed to be kind of the ubiquitous imports that every shop had. Loved looking at those boxes and wondering if they were any good.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds