October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

GW and FFG Breaking Up?

More
05 Sep 2016 21:38 - 05 Sep 2016 21:56 #233351 by Mr. White
Here's more smoke...
www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?495...hammer-Licenses-Next

Also, it looks like all the WFRP 2e books have been pulled from DriveThruRPG. Hope y'all got copies when you could...
www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/6/Fantas...Roleplay-2nd-Edition
Last edit: 05 Sep 2016 21:56 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2016 21:50 #233353 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?

Mr. White wrote: Here's more smoke...
www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?495...hammer-Licenses-Next

Also, it looks like all the WFRP 2e books have been pulled from DriveThruRPG and. Hope y'all got copies when you could...
www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/6/Fantas...Roleplay-2nd-Edition

I didn't :(

More
05 Sep 2016 21:56 #233354 by Michael Barnes
Pretty sure the ANA thing has grossly complicated FFG's relationship with GW both legally and financially...which would reasonably precipitate them wanting to pull their IP back home. Especially since the leadership there has apparently smelled the coffee and realized that board games are a big growth sector right now...and that there is desire for GW-branded board games...that they can make in-house.

This pretty much means WHQACG is done, along with BBTM, Forbidden Stars, Conquest, and so on. It also means that stocks of the 3rd edition Fury of Dracula are going to vanish along with Talisman, DungeonQuest and so on.

But man, I'm hoping for a PROPER GW version of DungeonQuest with the Death Warrior reinstated.

More
05 Sep 2016 22:07 #233356 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
Oh man, GW DungeonQuest...and hopefully the option to choose how to encounter monsters is back in as well.

Yeah, I'd guess that FFG knew this was coming for awhile which is why that Runewars minis game is ready to roll. They seem to waste no time when contracts expire.

Regarding Talisman though...would GW be able to republish it using the FFG updates? FFG did do some good with that game.However, I'd love to see a GW edition again. They seem to be 'respecting the classics' with their new editions of Space Hulk and BloodBowl...maybe than can do something swanky like get Gary Chalk to do the cover or something.

More
05 Sep 2016 22:15 #233357 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
It would be one thing if GW gets these licenses and does the games themselves. However, they might be content to shop them to the highest bidder. If FFG isn't going to handle them, I'd much prefer to see GW release DungeonQuest than say...Stronghold Games or whoever.

Also, if this is true, any stuff that was developed by FFG and simply lived in a world created by GW it will disappear forever. Blood Bowl Team Manager, Death Angels, Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game, Forbidden Stars, CHAOS IN THE OLD WORLD... Shit, I'm might have to go scour some game stores and make sure I have what I want from them in case this actually turns out to be true.

More
05 Sep 2016 22:20 #233358 by SuperflyPete
I already said it but I will again: Their contract renewal and release of their new rank and file miniatures game wasn't coincidence. They are cutting GW off, and they're going to make a power play.

They already have experience with miniatures with Armada, XWing, and Dust. They cut Dust Studios off a while ago.

More
05 Sep 2016 22:37 #233359 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
I have chaos in the old world and expansion. I'm good.

It was a great partnership, though.

More
05 Sep 2016 22:38 #233360 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
And no goddamn Tyranid expansion for Forbidden Stars :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
05 Sep 2016 22:41 #233361 by Michael Barnes
I just traded Blood Rage to get CitOW/Horned Rat back specifically because of this. Don't want "Trouble in Terrinoth".

Writing is on the wall folks.

More
06 Sep 2016 00:18 - 06 Sep 2016 00:29 #233369 by Mr. White

SuperflyTNT wrote: I already said it but I will again: Their contract renewal and release of their new rank and file miniatures game wasn't coincidence. They are cutting GW off, and they're going to make a power play.

They already have experience with miniatures with Armada, XWing, and Dust. They cut Dust Studios off a while ago.

I doubt GW is seeing RuneWars as a serious competitor. Star Wars licensed games success aside, I haven't seen anything from FFG that leads me to think they have the commitment necessary to make a serious go in the minis wargame world.

I mean check out BattleLore 2...built on the popular command and colors series of BL1, reskinned to their Terrinoth world...yet the game seems to have sputtered. Where are all the various terrinoth armies? Dwarves? Orks? Did they come out and I missed them? And BL seems like it would be the perfect bridge between minis wargames and board games, but where is all the support?

It's going to take more than 2-3 comic book terrinoth armies to challenge 40k or even AoS.
Last edit: 06 Sep 2016 00:29 by Mr. White.

More
06 Sep 2016 00:34 #233370 by Colorcrayons
I'll admit, if this is true then its likely a good thing.

I want snotlings back in dungeonquest. I want terrinoth out of dungeonquest. I want the campy 80's stuff back in dungeonquest.

That said, FFG handled the gw licenses well, overall. The only downfall is citow. That was a purely FFG game enfine with a gw theme on top. Once that's gone, its gone, only to be reskinned to terrinoth or twilight imperium... Blech.

As much as I want a gw dungeonquest, that may take a long time, if ever. The revises edition is great, sans the terrinoth reskin.

Fury of Dracula presents an interesting conundrum.

More
06 Sep 2016 05:37 #233377 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
Crap, that means my "want to buy before gone forever" list includes:
- both Relic expansions
- Fury of Dracula
- BBTM
- CITOW expansion
- Death Angel expansions

Probably in that order. :(

More
06 Sep 2016 06:39 - 06 Sep 2016 06:40 #233380 by Mr. White
Yeah, damn, I'm a big fan of death angel, but sat on getting the expansions. I only have one.

Used to be you could get the whole set for like $30 on eBay. Now it looks like they go for about $20-30 each...
Last edit: 06 Sep 2016 06:40 by Mr. White.

More
06 Sep 2016 07:53 - 06 Sep 2016 07:54 #233382 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
I don't know that they'll ever bother with Chaos again, but a re-skinning might be the best thing that could happen with it.

Clutching my BBTM set anyway.
Last edit: 06 Sep 2016 07:54 by JEM.

More
06 Sep 2016 08:16 - 06 Sep 2016 08:17 #233384 by Mr. White
Thinking about it more this morning...it seems with the Asmodee merger that FFG will have more resources and reach than GW. This almost puts GW in the underdog role which it seldom has been in. Should be interesting.

Now, I clearly fall more in the GW side of things, but I think FFG has an opportunity here with their lines. I understand there's a 'World of Terrinoth' source book in the works, but I'd maybe go a step further.

I'd double down on the cartoon look that all the Terrinoth games have. They need to do what they can to get a netflix cartoon or something going. Then, the cartoony look of the games would be perfect. Not only that, but I don't think there's any fantasy series for kids to get into. I'm thinking along the lines of the old Masters of the Universe cartoon or something. The likelihood of me getting into RuneWars Miniatures would jump considerably if my kids were familiar with the line. As is, I grew up Old World and Tolkien so no interest in Terrinoth for me. Terrinoth should be their younger facing line.

At this point, the X-wing system itself has die hard fans. I'd look to kill the line soon before it jumps the shark. Then, roll a new game out using a refined system based on the last several years of X-wing development but put it in the Twilight Universe setting. With X-wing gone, their TI game will be the only pre-painted space dog fighting game on the market. The x-wing fans will want to keep buying into this system and FFG would no longer have IP fees to pay. I would expand the TI universe as their middle of the pack line...their Star Wars if you will. (this is where some eurogames and abstracts could potentially be...not in Android)

Android...I'd darken it up just a little. Not much to remove it from the mass market CCG scene, but with the themes it can explore the games should have more of an edge. This would be the most 'adult' line in their stable and I use that adult term lightly. Like I've said, Android could easily be the premier cyberpunk setting...it wouldn't take much. The current eurogames and abstracts set in the setting aren't the way to go though. This needs an RPG and maybe an adventure game, and some real cutthroat games like Intrigue.

Anyway, just some musings on the way in to work this morning on how I'd set the three settings up.
Last edit: 06 Sep 2016 08:17 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.832 seconds