October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Brick-n-Morters Must Be Killing It

More
12 Sep 2016 13:41 - 12 Sep 2016 14:32 #233998 by Mr. White
For awhile I thought these were going away, but in Austin (for example) there's more than ever. I can list about 12 right off the bat, and I think we might even have a GW store. I know that on my drive home I go by no less than 5 and that's only in a 25mile ride.

Looking at this report it seems that all the games are booming. Even RPGs have had a jump in sales.

www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/09/state-of...try-spring-2016.html

So, I guess the online retailers haven't totally killed off the LGS...
Last edit: 12 Sep 2016 14:32 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2016 14:06 #234004 by Gary Sax
My personal sense is that the rising tide is lifting all boats, and the most casual gamers who aren't a part of the hardcore "hobby" all shop at a local FLGS.

Good for them. I don't hate all FLGS and wish them luck, I've just been in so many terrible ones.

More
12 Sep 2016 14:21 #234007 by Msample
I thought GW had stopped opening company stores, but I read somewhere else about one opening in that area.

I don't know about brick and mortars, but looking at those top seller lists, Asmodee certainly IS killing it.

More
12 Sep 2016 14:27 #234009 by Msample

Gary Sax wrote: Good for them. I don't hate all FLGS and wish them luck, I've just been in so many terrible ones.

I'd say overall the batting average is WAAAAY better than it used to be as far as good gaming stores vs crappy ones. . I remember pre Internet looking thru the fucking YELLOW PAGES for game/hobby/toy stores and driving there to see what I might find game wise . Just about all of them were hole in the wall places. So for the whiners who mail order everything and say " we don't need game stores" be thankful for what you have today. It wasn't always this easy .

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
12 Sep 2016 14:31 #234011 by Gary Sax
Definitely. I went to one just recently in Spokane that I thought was very nice, but my experience was poor the last 3-4 times I went into a game store.

More
12 Sep 2016 14:35 #234012 by ChristopherMD
I'm very thankful for the internet because I don't miss going into game stores at all. However, back in the day I did meet some people that became good local friends that I gamed with for a long time. So I can't say they're entirely bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
12 Sep 2016 14:45 #234015 by Mr. White

Msample wrote: I don't know about brick and mortars, but looking at those top seller lists, Asmodee certainly IS killing it.

Asmodee....or Star Wars?

More
12 Sep 2016 14:56 #234018 by Msample
Both. While Star Wars accounts for their biggest market share in RPG and minis, in the boardgame category, they've also got Ticket to Ride and Catan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
12 Sep 2016 15:02 #234020 by Hex Sinister

Msample wrote: I remember pre Internet looking thru the fucking YELLOW PAGES for game/hobby/toy stores and driving there to see what I might find game wise .

Heh, so true. I think I found some through Dragon magazine too. I remember begging my dad to drive me to BFE to hunt for games. Once, we found this place that had hobby AND arcade games. Bonus - the owner gave me a DRAGONSLAYER bumper sticker.

More
12 Sep 2016 15:32 #234025 by RobertB
The local FLGS's have really stepped up their game, AFAICT. The one closest to the house used to be the epitome of a smelly game store filled with smelly gamers. I can't vouch for the gamers' hygiene now, but the store itself is cleaned up and well organized. A new one by my workplace is also really neat, with shockingly courteous employees.

More
12 Sep 2016 16:14 #234035 by the_jake_1973
The best one I've been to is Mox Boarding House in Bellevue, WA. Gaming of all stripes, food, craft beer/cider. Fantastic place.

More
12 Sep 2016 16:31 #234040 by Msample
For those who used to go to Myriad Games, there is a relatively new place, Relentless Dragon, about a couple miles away from Myriad's now defunct Amherst location. I think its the third or maybe fourth incarnation of the same owner. The first three were basically bare bones Magic dens. This place however started off relatively small but recently expanded once Myriad shut down, and it is pretty decent. Yeah its full retail, but a ton of play space and they are especially well stocked in accessories, sleeves, mats etc. I stop every few weeks and its always busy. 10 years ago the area had several hole in the wall places that have since shuttered. This place however I think will stick around. Its a place that doesn't skeeve you out when you go inside, its well lit and clean.

Its too bad about Myriad. Pre Game Salute, they were a very good store and I bought a fair bit of stuff there.

More
12 Sep 2016 16:42 #234042 by san il defanso
In Plano we have Madness Comics & Games, which is the game store by which all others will be judged for me. It occupies a store front that used to be a supermarket of some kind, so it's absolutely huge. Lots of game space too, and they do some killer holiday sales.

More
12 Sep 2016 17:07 #234046 by Msample

san il defanso wrote: In Plano we have Madness Comics & Games, which is the game store by which all others will be judged for me. It occupies a store front that used to be a supermarket of some kind, so it's absolutely huge. Lots of game space too, and they do some killer holiday sales.

I found a place like that recently near my office. Biggest gaming store space I've ever seen. Rent must be rock bottom; the parking lot is almost mandatory 4WD the potholes are so bad. Its in a shitty part of town. And the co tenants in the shopping center are a Dollar Store, a pawn shop, and a bodega.

More
13 Sep 2016 11:53 #234117 by Jexik
Wow, with 3/5 of those top Hobby Games in the spring for Asmodee, their recent acquisition of F2Z gives them the other 2 (Dead of Winter and Pandemic). So they have all five!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds