October 09, 2023
2287 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Daughter turning 5, game recommendation?

More
20 Jul 2017 17:08 #251430 by Da Bid Dabid
My daughter turns 5 this weekend, she has really been more into games recently and asks usually at least once a day to play something. I honestly have been totally out of the loop with board games the last few months, but my wife thinks she would enjoy to get one for her birthday that she can call her own. A quick rundown of what we play and her tastes.

Her favorite game is Samurai. House rules are always only one tile per turn. We don't play cut throat, she likes setting up the board, adding up the numbers once something has been surrounded, and loves taking the Buddhas.

Her second favorite game is Luchador!. Basically we play a house rule version where we are rolling and matching up dice without health tracking. She likes to win this game, doesn't mind losing in other games but doesn't like losing this one.

We play a lot of DungeonQuest house ruled so only need to get to dragon and not get out of dungeon afterward.

She likes Gorechosen without movement rules. She decapitated me on turn one first time we played and that moment has kept it a favorite.

She also likes Uno and kid's games where you match sets.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2017 17:16 - 20 Jul 2017 17:19 #251431 by jeb
Our 5yo (6 in Sept) has been digging:
  • LOVE LETTER. Once he memorized the card abilities he has been totally into it. He can kind of read now, somewhat, and this helps.
  • SUSHI GO. Again, memorize how the cards work and have fun.
  • KING OF TOKYO. Need to keep him updated on what the cards say.
  • MAGICAL ATHELETE. The best.
He loves to interact with everyone when we play ELDRITCH HORROR or anything with lots of dudes and cards and has a lot of decisions and dice rolling. Especially if the decisions are things like, "walk into the jungle or battle the space wolfman?"
Last edit: 20 Jul 2017 17:19 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Da Bid Dabid

More
20 Jul 2017 17:22 #251432 by Da Bid Dabid
I actually know a place in town that might have a copy of Magical Athlete. I'll check it out tomorrow.

More
20 Jul 2017 23:53 #251451 by Forelle
Gamewright makes some solid games for kids/families.

There was a thread with suggestions a few years ago:

fortressat.com/forum/49-family-and-child...commendations#121048

More
21 Jul 2017 11:10 #251471 by Thrun
If she likes Uno you could try her with My Little Treehouse.

More
21 Jul 2017 12:05 #251478 by Mr. White

Da Bid Dabid wrote: I actually know a place in town that might have a copy of Magical Athlete. I'll check it out tomorrow.

For how much?

More
21 Jul 2017 12:45 #251482 by OldHippy
Man I wish I had a copy of Magical Athlete. I bet my son would love it. He's six and it sounds like they have similar tastes in some ways... his favourites right now are

Bisikle
Pitchcar
King of Tokyo
Dice Masters/Quarriors
Flick 'em Up
Survive (Space Attack and the normal one)
Wiz War
Ice Cool
Space Cadets Away Missions
Luchador

... that's roughly what he'd say I bet. We also play a lot of table hockey and Carrom/Crokinole. With Carrom he competes by trying to have less pieces left on the table than last time because I beat him every time... obviously. At first he wasn't keen on that because he's so damned competitive but he's come around to the idea recently and loves it now. Strangely I've yet to beat him in Bisikle.. the kid is crazy good at that game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Da Bid Dabid, engineer Al

More
21 Jul 2017 12:51 #251483 by fastbilly1
Ill second Carroms. If you have to, get an American Carroms board second hand. They are cheap. Just give it a good cleaning then a dose of potato starch or talcum powder. And buy real coins and a Striker. It is a much better game when played with a heavy striker.

More
21 Jul 2017 13:22 #251484 by engineer Al
Wow, there are some really great recommendations here! I find the little girls love SLEEPING QUEENS, but yours seems like she might be a bit beyond the simplicity of that game. The only thing I would add is FORBIDDEN ISLAND. I love the cooperative nature of it and it also has pretty pieces.

More
21 Jul 2017 13:57 #251486 by Da Bid Dabid

24.99 In-shrink! I saw it there a year ago and thought maybe I'd pick it up but never got around to it. Now had a good reason to do so. I'll keep this thread around as a great resource for the future. Thanks FATies!

More
21 Jul 2017 14:25 - 21 Jul 2017 14:31 #251488 by dragonstout
I've got an OG Japanese Magical AthElete with everything pasted up well and English rules printed out, if anyone wants to buy it!

My 6-year-old has loved Chicken Cha Cha Cha, Loopin' Chewie, Duck Duck Bruce, Hop Hop Hooray (all four of the previous, we play together with the 3-year-old as well), King of Tokyo, Forbidden Island, Lego Heroica, Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters (his friends love the previous three especially), but made a huge leap forward in complexity and now is somewhat obsessed with the Pokemon Trading Card Game. Every couple weeks we go to the store and he plays against strangers. I should add that he is exceptionally good at reading and math, but may have ADD and is weak at social skills. Because of that, and because of the three-year-old who is very demanding of attention, we haven't really tried many "grown-up games" (i.e. family games that aren't pure kids games), and I was stunned that he took to Pokemon TCG so well. I think he could learn the rules of Magic and play by the rules fine, but he would just get crushed every time; in Pokemon there's enough luck that he wins often enough (and the type weakness system creates some completely natural handicaps).
Last edit: 21 Jul 2017 14:31 by dragonstout.

More
24 Jul 2017 05:08 #251561 by Matt Thrower
Something kept nagging at me about this question, and over the weekend I remembered what it was.

The earliest grown up game I played with my daughter - at about age 5 - was Castle Ravenloft.

You have to the heavy lifting for them at that age in terms of what powers to use each turn, but the co-op nature of the game makes that feel like a team effort. Moving is great practice for spatial awareness, and working out to-hit numbers is great practice for basic addition. Turning over tiles and the loose narrative makes every adventure feel like an exciting exploration.

I imagine pretty much any of the games in this series would work just as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.299 seconds