October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Niche areas of the internet you read for games

More
18 Dec 2017 08:46 #259246 by Gary Sax
Wondering where you all read about games that might not be as high profile but would be an interesting read for others here. And yes, I know many of you think we all read about games too much on the internet as a hobby instead of playing, etc, I get that.

To start, my *strong* recommendation is to consistently read Chris Farrell's instagram account. It's an almost perfect medium to give a quick paragraph discussion of a game with a picture of it. I'm tempted to rip off his format and start a games instagram, though my observations wouldn't be as pithy or good:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice, Nodens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2017 09:22 - 18 Dec 2017 09:22 #259250 by Erik Twice
First, I recommend Critical Distance. They compilate the most interesting game criticism articles they can find on a weekly basis. It's very hit and miss, and de facto is focused on video games though there's a piece about Pax Renaissaince in the last roundup:

www.critical-distance.com/2017/12/17/december-17th/

I also recommend The Digital Antiquarian (Jimmy Maher). I actually know this guy because I read one of his books "The Future was here", which covered the history of the Commodore Amiga, It was a great read and his blog is even better. Super well-researched, interesting stuff. Some highlights:

- History of text adventures and Infocom
- History of Sierra
- He's now doing a series on MUD (Multi-User Dungeon) and online gaming before the internet
. Almost step by step analysis of Zork, Ultima and other games
- History of the IBM PC
- Apple, Carmen Sandiego, and the Rise of Edutainment
- One of the few bullshit-less historical analysis of Populous (Molyneux lies always make it into articles, even if you try not to)
- Analysis of the D&D Gold Box games

It's very niche, but great. I really recommend it. My only complain is that his titles are not conductive to reading, half of the time you don't know what the actual articles are about until you click on them (Eg. A Tale of the Mirror World)

www.filfre.net/
Last edit: 18 Dec 2017 09:22 by Erik Twice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Nodens

More
18 Dec 2017 09:41 #259252 by repoman
I like DnD_daily on Instagram. Dude is an utter completionist when it comes to every D&D product every made and has collected just about all of it. Every day he posts a picture or two of some product with a paragraph or two describing it and any interesting history associated with it. Pretty darn interesting.

I also follow Pulsating Paula on Facebook. She was a biker chick who photographed the bikers of the 80's. It reflects what true biker culture was like back in the day. Not boardgame related certainly but sometimes funny, sometimes scary, always nostalgic.

More
18 Dec 2017 10:11 - 18 Dec 2017 10:12 #259255 by san il defanso
Frankly, this place is pretty niche, but the other site I check regularly is Sly Flourish , who writes about D&D. This is the guy who wrote a book called "The Lazy DM," which is a great resource for preparing DMs for the most important things, like improvising effective NPCs instead of overplanning a narrative that won't survive contact with the players. He also has a good podcast and a fun Twitter account.
Last edit: 18 Dec 2017 10:12 by san il defanso.

More
18 Dec 2017 12:24 - 18 Dec 2017 12:32 #259259 by Gary Sax
This site is totally niche, yes.

re: the critical distance linked pax piece, I read and enjoyed that one too:
reallifemag.com/period-piece/

*edit* I had some stuff on this piece but I liked the original intention of this thread as a clearinghouse. Be glad to discuss it in a new thread if anyone found it interesting.
Last edit: 18 Dec 2017 12:32 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
18 Dec 2017 12:47 #259261 by Shellhead
For several years, the Grognardia blogspot had a lot of good articles and reviews about classic rpgs, especially D&D:

grognardia.blogspot.com/

Unfortunately, his site went inactive five years ago. The content is still all there.

More
18 Dec 2017 13:10 #259262 by Da Bid Dabid
tenfootpole.org

When I started doing rpgs last year I fell in love with these reviews... then found out it was run by a FAT:ie much later. If you are at all into OSR stuff it is can't miss stuff.

More
18 Dec 2017 13:11 - 18 Dec 2017 13:12 #259263 by stoic

Gary Sax wrote: This site is totally niche, yes.

re: the critical distance linked pax piece, I read and enjoyed that one too:
reallifemag.com/period-piece/

*edit* I had some stuff on this piece but I liked the original intention of this thread as a clearinghouse. Be glad to discuss it in a new thread if anyone found it interesting.

After reading that glossy academic commentary in the linked article about the trouble with Eklund's views in Pax Renaissance, I'm now absolutely convinced that even Marx and Engels would absolutely love and endorse gaming with Pax Renaissance since it advances their own nebulous theories about of the march of history and economic determinism--i.e., you can't have Communism until you advance from Barbarism to Feudalism to Capitalism, and, (per Marx and Engels,) the deterministic end state that is Communism. Of course, Eklund disagrees with the end state. ;-)
Last edit: 18 Dec 2017 13:12 by stoic.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.408 seconds