October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Misjudged or Overlooked Games

More
14 Jan 2018 17:24 #260931 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Misjudged or Overlooked Games

Shellhead wrote: City of Remnants needed stronger presentation to stand out in a crowded marketplace. As you said, the board isn't attractive, and also the name isn't evocative. More importantly two to four players tends to be an awkward player count, because three is often an awkward number for game play. There is a definite market for two player games, but they sometimes don't scale well from two to multiplayer. For me, these were concerns, but the dealbreaker was the deckbuilder aspect.

I think City of Remnants is a better 3-4 player game than a 2 player game because in the 2 player game, you can turtle a bit and avoid conflict. The 2 player game becomes more of a resource management game and is weaker, but, it's still good. If you don't like deckbuilders, then it has no chance since it's a deckbuilder hybrid.

I wonder now how City of Remnants compares with Tyrants of the Underdark, which is another area control/deckbuilder hybrid. I haven't played Tyrants of the Underdark. I'd probably like Tyrants of the Underdark since I like this type of hybrid and I love R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt and his world of Menzoberranzan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2018 17:29 #260932 by hotseatgames
I found Tyrants of the Underdark to be extremely boring and about 4 years too late for it to feel cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
14 Jan 2018 18:42 #260937 by DukeofChutney
City of Remnants is a game i probably should have given another go. We played it about 4 times before I traded. I tended to find a runaway leader problem in the mid to late game, but i think this the consequence of a rules error. It had some fairly cool ideas, but yeh the visuals were not memorable.

More
14 Jan 2018 21:08 #260948 by stoic

SuperflyTNT wrote: City of Remnants is still one of my all time favorite games.

It’s underrated by some, but not all...
superflycircus.com/2013/09/city-of-remna...be-a-space-gangster/

...and I go into why I think it undersold badly.

That article is great! I wish that you had introduced it in the thread. I picked up City of Remnants blindly in a trade in 2013. I traded Trains for it. Trains was dry and boring. City of Remnants wasn't.

More
15 Jan 2018 01:34 - 15 Jan 2018 01:36 #260955 by SuperflyPete
There’s an index of every article I’ve ever written there. Feel free to peruse.

Also, it is SHIT with two. Yellow can win 80+% of the time. 3-4 is fine.

Underdark has some good ideas but isn’t great, IMO. I’ve only played twice, both with 3, and I wouldn’t NOT try it again but if I want to play area control with fighting I’d rather play Smash Up or fifty other, better games.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2018 01:36 by SuperflyPete.

More
15 Jan 2018 09:30 #260964 by Da Bid Dabid
Man, I really disliked City of Remnants which makes no sense as on paper seems to tick all the right boxes - deckbuilders are not my think so maybe it was just too much of that. I just found it boring, even after the second and third time I tried to give it a chance.

I purchased Superstar Showdown thanks to this thread and after reading the rules I think I'm going to love it. It might be what I wanted from Gorechosen.

More
15 Jan 2018 09:50 #260967 by gversace
City of Remnants was a terrible experience for me. Played it 4 players at a con shortly after release, and there was literally an infinite loop that yellow exploited using one of the upgrades. Came away with the impression it was poorly playtested garbage.

More
15 Jan 2018 10:28 #260971 by stoic

gversace wrote: City of Remnants was a terrible experience for me. Played it 4 players at a con shortly after release, and there was literally an infinite loop that yellow exploited using one of the upgrades. Came away with the impression it was poorly playtested garbage.

Most of the games that I'm posting here for this category all have a fatal flaw or two that prevented them from being a success, at first... But, in the end, most of these games are epic if those flaws can be overlooked or if they were later corrected. This makes them so interesting. Sometimes something that's flawed creates its own allure whereas perfection often makes something feel sterile, artificial, or corporate. In City of Remnants, for example, they fixed that yellow faction loophole in the game's official FAQ. link In fact, that's probably why I was able to get a trade of City of Remnants for Trains since we traded before the FAQ came out, or the problem was reported, or, if the trader was so disgusted about it that they didn't follow up with it. Regardless, I ended up with a spectacular and epic Ameritrash game of asymmetrical Scii gang warfare on a prison planet and they ended up with Trains. Of course, Trains was the first to use deckbuilding and area control with a board and that's amazing in itself for game design.

I almost never buy games in pre-order or Kickstarter status or play them at conventions upon release so I don't experience any of these new release wrinkles or disappointments. I don't buy most of my games new at all so sticker shock doesn't shock me if a game is something less than perfect upon release. I wait for the hype to die down and wait for them to iron out the wrinkles. I usually pay very little for any of them.

Even if something is flawed, you can still have fun.

More
15 Jan 2018 10:30 #260972 by Scott_F
I also wanted to love City of Remnants but after a few plays it didn't work. The board was hot garbage for graphics. The yellow faction was broken. You could literally run out of gang members if you were attacked too much. So many good ideas in the game, like buying the buildings that generate certain bonuses and points per round, buying gang members or items to upgrade your deck, etc. But it didn't work as a fun experience any of the times I tried playing it.

More
15 Jan 2018 11:01 #260977 by san il defanso
Has anyone heard of a game called Dragon Hordes? It's a minis game that came out 20 years ago in the form of a rulebook. In the back was all of the units, ready to be cut out so you could play with cardstock minis.

I got it from Secret Satan last year, but I forgot about it until I was cleaning out my collection recently. Upon reading the rules it actually looks really neat. I'm curious if anyone else here ever tried it?

More
15 Jan 2018 11:38 #260982 by stoic

san il defanso wrote: Has anyone heard of a game called Dragon Hordes? It's a minis game that came out 20 years ago in the form of a rulebook. In the back was all of the units, ready to be cut out so you could play with cardstock minis.

I got it from Secret Satan last year, but I forgot about it until I was cleaning out my collection recently. Upon reading the rules it actually looks really neat. I'm curious if anyone else here ever tried it?

www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/2p9...atures_game_without/

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.461 seconds