October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

What areyour favorite things about 80's comics?

More
19 Jan 2008 05:18 #1132 by daveroswell
The "movies of your youth" thread made me think of this topic. I don't want to make this into "Marvel vs. DC" bullshit. I do have to say I followed mostly Marvel stuff (mostly the "teams": West Coast Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four) and the Beyonder storyline sticks in my mind. Marvel or DC, any Frazetta art in a comic kicked ass to me.

The other thing that sticks in my head were the ElfQuest graphic novels. I still remember that shit pretty well, and haven't seen those in fifteen years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2008 07:59 #1134 by Shellhead
I was a huge Marvel zombie until Jim Shooter became Editor-in-Chief. He gradually alienated me from everything Marvel. So my answer is kind of divided between the early '80s versus the rest of the decade.

Early '80s Marvel was great, with Byrne and Claremont doing their best work ever on X-Men, while Frank Miller was doing great with Daredevil, and even David Michelinie and Bob Layton impressed me with their work on Daredevil. The Avengers and Fantastic Four were still good titles.

Then Shooter started driving off the talent. He shoved some very arbitrary changes on many of the titles, and seemed to be trying hard to replace Captain America, Iron Man and Thor with younger replacements, which made zero sense with respect to an immortal like Thor. I've read interviews where writers have complained that Shooter was planning to replace the Marvel Universe with the New Universe. Anyway, around the time of Secret Wars II, I dropped almost every Marvel title.

Before Crisis on Infinite Earths, DC was practically on life support. They had just one popular title, Teen Titans. But Shooter kept driving talented creators to jump ship from Marvel to DC, so DC started getting some really good people on board.

Then Crisis on Infinite Earths came along and changed everything. The story itself was an ambitious mess, and the basic concept seemed to be swiped from The Courts of Chaos, by Roger Zelazny. But it was an exciting event, and the resulting unified setting unleashed an amazing wave of creativity from DC writers. Unfortunately, it also inspired dozens of imitation crossover events at both DC and Marvel, to the point where you can barely read a comic from either company that isn't locked into whatever current crossover mess is going on.

Finally, towards the end of the '80s, DC launced their Vertigo line, focusing on horror and other mature themes. Vertigo is still around, and still gives DC a significant edge in terms of telling intelligent and challenging stories.

So, early '80s:
1. Uncanny X-Men, at least up through #144.
2. Daredevil by Frank Miller
3. New Teen Titans, by Wolfman/Perez

The rest of the '80s:
1. The Watchmen, by Alan Moore
2. Doom Patrol, by Grant Morrison
3. Crisis on Infinite Earths

More
19 Jan 2008 09:05 #1136 by southernman
I'm a Kiwi (from New Zealand) and I have no idea if that is the reason why I didn't read (or notice) much of the DC or Marvel comics in the late 70s & 80s when I was into comics, but both decades saw me reading British comics - the 70s (early teens) was mainly war/adventure comics while the very late 70s and eighties saw me addicted to what I consider one of the best comics ever produced for the quality of character variety, stories, and artwork (!!!) .... 2000AD.

I stopped buying and reading around the mid/late 80s as life had me moving all over the country and then the world. But when I finally settled down (on the other side of the world) around 2000 (...hmmmmm, coincidence) I started looking around for graphic novels of classic characters, and once I discovered eBay a year or so later then I was on my way buying up 'ABC Warriors', 'Nemesis', 'Slaine', 'Rogue Trooper', 'Judge Dredd', 'Strontium Dog', 'RoboHunter', ....

I feel privileged that I was able to read these brilliant groundbreaker comics that 'set the bar' when they came out - reading the graphic novels is great, but it's just not the same feeling.

More
19 Jan 2008 13:14 #1142 by Michael Barnes
Two best things about '80s comics:

1) Alan Moore
2) Frank Miller

'Nuff said.

More
19 Jan 2008 14:25 #1143 by Druen Kree
Let see Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns Changed how I looked at Comics.Before that I was a typical Marvel Zombie and rarely went to the other side(DC) except for Camalot 3000. It opened me up to Alan Moore's Swamp Thing and that led to Vertigo in its hayday ( Besides DMV and 100 Bullets Vertigo seems to lack what it use to have i.e. Gaimon ,Ennis, and Ellis)

There was some good at Marvel though,like the Kravens Last Hunt Story Line ,Millers Daredevil Born Again,Claremonts X-Men (before it got so damn convoluted) The Punisher and G.I. Joe..the later two being guilty pleasures.

More
19 Jan 2008 18:36 #1145 by BigLizard
Weren't they still making "Little Lulu" comics in the 80's? Hmm, maybe that's in the 70's forum.

More
20 Jan 2008 01:20 #1150 by metalface13
In the 80s I mainly read Spider-Man and all the X-titles: X-Men, X-Force, X-Factor, etc. That and I really loved the infinite guantlet stuff and all that outer space crap. But I guess most of that stuff was overlap into the early 90s and then it was all Image stuff: Spawn, Wild C.A.T.S., Savage Dragon, anything Image. Then I stopped reading comics for a long long time up until just about two years ago. In fact I think we need a current comics post.

More
21 Jan 2008 10:10 - 21 Jan 2008 10:10 #1187 by mikelawson
I was never into comics much as a kid. I had a couple of Avengers and Star Trek (and the obligatory Star Wars) comics around, but a friend who would come to town during the summer to visit his sister was far more the comic nut. He mostly used to read X-Men and Elfquest; he also introduced me to Dune.

The only other comics of my youth that I used to read were Wormy (yeah the Dave Trampier comic) and Phil and Dixie out of The Dragon mag.

--Mike L.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2008 10:10 by mikelawson. Reason: #@#$# English usage.

More
21 Jan 2008 13:33 #1205 by username
I'm going to have to go with the giant big wheel, trampoline couch, and sledge-o-matic those never stop being funny.

More
22 Jan 2008 15:11 #1245 by TheDukester
If I might be allowed to stretch the definition to "late '70s/early '80s," then I'd say I really enjoyed most of Marvel's efforts during that span.

Looking back on it, there seems to me to be a real respect for the characters during that time ... along with a respect for continuity and the fact that these characters were supposed to be sharing a "universe." With very few exceptions, all of that is missing (for me, anyway) from today's Marvel, especially with regards to continuity. That corn-holer Joe Quesada has practically come right out and said he doesn't give a shit about continuity.

In terms of specific books, I really enjoyed most of Marvel's "big" titles of the time, especially Avengers, Thor, Daredevil, X-Men, and Fantastic Four. I also read all of the team-up titles. Oddly, I was never that into Spider-Man ... I read it every month, but it didn't rock my world.

I got out of comics for many, many years later in the '80s ... too many X-Books, too many gimmicks, too much else going on (**cough**girls**cough**).

More
22 Jan 2008 15:17 #1247 by Ken B.
The 80s were a really good time for DC comics before their bleak period in the 90s...Teen Titans, Batman, Batman and the Outsiders, The Watchmen...lots of good stuff there.

The early 80s X-Men stuff is also really quality.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds