October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Ringo Walks Off Regis and Kelly Show--- I say Good for him!!!

More
24 Jan 2008 12:27 #1388 by Shellhead
Radiohead and Trent Reznor can dump their labels because they are already famous and successful. An up and coming band doesn't have that leverage, and still needs a label to help with marketing and distribution. Sure, they could try to just promote themselves on the internet, but that would be like running a tv commercial once in a while on a single network if there were a bajillion channels available.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2008 12:58 #1389 by Deleted User 1
The Radiohead album was interesting. They decided to put the album up for download and let people donate what they wanted for the album. From what I heard, most people did not donate anything! Also, the download was not available at 192 which is high quality.

The fact is music has been devalued and no one has come up with a viable business model.

More
24 Jan 2008 13:01 #1390 by Pat
I'd drop $20 on a cassette with a sticky label on it at a show over $20-30 on a CD. There is plenty of information out there that anyone can read on how bands starting up get fucked by record companies. Read this:

www.arancidamoeba.com/mrr/problemwithmusic.html

More
24 Jan 2008 14:15 #1394 by Schweig!
Okay, so stealing music is not the way to do it, neither is supporting big music companies who treat their artists like slaves.

Any solutions?

More
24 Jan 2008 14:33 #1395 by Pat
Savy bands will give away their music to have people show up at their events. Most bands only make money from touring. If they can be clever about their own distribution and advertising they can sustain a large fanbase and support through touring.

How many one hit wonders off MTV and all the commercial radio stations actually have succesive and succesful tours? Not many and not for long. The most enduring acts are touring endlessly doing exactly what they want to as artists, performing for people. The "commercially" succesful acts do most of their performing in the tabloids and on the gaggle of boring ET shows.

More
24 Jan 2008 15:00 #1396 by Michael Barnes
An up and coming band doesn't have that leverage, and still needs a label to help with marketing and distribution.

That used to be true...that's the thing, is the internet has really changed the playing field so much that things like that don't matter anymore.

Witness this band called Black Kids...pretty good band, sort of a Cure-meets-Motown sound that has HUGE potential. They had no label, no marketing, no distribution. They did n't even have a record. So they went on MySpace, set up a page, and put their debut EP "The Wizard of Ahhs" up and it got them more attention than some half-promoted, destined-for-the-cutout-bin debut record put out by a major would have. And what do ya know? Those Black Kids are now touring over in Europe and they got picked up by the management team that brought us the Arcade Fire, so they're already primed for success.

The fact is music has been devalued and no one has come up with a viable business model.

Has it really though? Sure, as a sellable product or a corporate commodity it has been...but should music be either of those in the first place?

I think something that's really interesting that I've seen happen over the last decade is that people seem more interested in catalog music and actually less interested in current "now" pop music. Because of greater access (like MP3s and satellite radio), people are listening to older music and not necessarily succumbing to the corporate mandates.

More
24 Jan 2008 15:31 #1397 by Schweig!
Pat wrote:

How many one hit wonders off MTV and all the commercial radio stations actually have succesive and succesful tours?

At least in Germany MTV has been converted to an advertisement platform for cellphone ringtones.

Michael Barnes wrote:

I think something that's really interesting that I've seen happen over the last decade is that people seem more interested in catalog music and actually less interested in current "now" pop music.

When I take the bus I can still witness the same youngers listening to the newest in-thing, only that it's no longer Pop but more specialized music which delivers to smaller sub-groups (Hip-Hop, Goth, Emo) but is produced by the same big companies.

Seems like they're not giving away their status too easily.

More
24 Jan 2008 15:36 #1398 by Michael Barnes
Be that as it may, I still see and hear kids more aware of music past the last three years than you used to...I was a manager at a corporate chain music store 1999-2000 and it's weird looking back at that period because it was right before internet music REALLY took off and become what it is today. The kind of shit they were trying to sell back then was amazing...

More
24 Jan 2008 15:50 #1401 by Schweig!
True that, I also listen to more and different music than three years ago. And although I don't download music I still "test-try" most new stuff on youtube ;-)

More
24 Jan 2008 16:28 - 24 Jan 2008 23:36 #1403 by Shellhead
Michael Barnes wrote:

Be that as it may, I still see and hear kids more aware of music past the last three years than you used to...I was a manager at a corporate chain music store 1999-2000 and it's weird looking back at that period because it was right before internet music REALLY took off and become what it is today. The kind of shit they were trying to sell back then was amazing...

That's just it. New music from new bands in recent years isn't getting any attention, because mainstream radio stations, VH-1 and of course MTV have lost all credibility. Good new music is still coming out every year, but there is no longer a viable marketing and distribution strategy to become popular. So nobody new is popular.

So young people are going back a few years and catching up with bands that got some buzz then, or going back even farther and checking out bands with well-established reputations. They don't know where else to look. Nobody does.

I can come across an interesting band on MySpace and try to tell my friends about it or even send them links, but unless I actually play the music while they are hanging out with me, the indifference and complacency keeps them from giving it a try.

Of course, part of the problem is that most people kind of give up on new music before they hit 30. They would rather listen to their favorite music from their teens and twenties than try something new and different.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2008 23:36 by Shellhead. Reason: I'm stupid

More
24 Jan 2008 19:14 #1410 by Pat
Here in Montreal we have an excellent music scene - live music. All sorts of good metal, hip hop, Jazz, House (good 'ole dirty underground shit) and more bands and acts love coming here because of the reception and buzz they get. Don't mention Arcade Fire to me, although I'm somewhat proud they are from here they stink. Live is the way to go. It is up to the performer to smoke the venue (the right ones) and thus create buzz.

As Lemmy said last time I caught Motorhead in town:

"I'm gonna play Montreal 'til I die!"

More
26 Jan 2008 14:50 #1472 by crumbb
I think Harmonix is having some influence on younger people in terms of appreciating older music. Also, download content for RB and GH is a great (though still EXTREMELY limited) way to check out new music. Being totally unplugged from the big label marketing channels, I had never heard of the All American Rejects (hold your comments on my musical tastes please) until they got 2 songs into Rock Band, and I got their album.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds