October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Request for Barnes Review of NEW SW Trailer!

More
20 Oct 2015 06:37 #212847 by Black Barney
Wait...there's a star wars movie coming out ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2015 07:45 #212849 by Michael Barnes
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, Black Barney

More
20 Oct 2015 08:57 #212857 by Legomancer
will it make any sense to me if I never saw any of the previous stars wars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
20 Oct 2015 09:03 - 20 Oct 2015 09:04 #212859 by Black Barney
Yes but you won't appreciate much.

Watch episodes four through six first. Skip the prequels
Last edit: 20 Oct 2015 09:04 by Black Barney.

More
20 Oct 2015 09:07 - 20 Oct 2015 09:18 #212861 by Mr. White
The new trailer is pretty good. The Star Wars magic still hasn't returned to me yet though. For one, I still find it hard to believe that a few decades after jedi were policing the galaxy and there was a huge galaxy spanning war with them, a well traveled character like Han doesn't believe in them. Then here we are a few more decades later, even after Luke's jedi return, characters still seem to be clueless about jedi and the force. I dunno, it doesn't seem logical to me. Two, the big theme of Star Wars that you have to be born into or connected to the royal family (Skywalkers) to really make a difference isn't a narrative I'm really into.

That said, of course I'm going to end up seeing it, so here we go with a few observations.

Who's the character at the beginning with the goggles? At first I thought it was Rey, but she's clearly on the movie poster as is this goggled individual. Oh, and look! A Deathstar! Because those worked so well the first two times...

Looks like Luke's robotic hand touching R2's head?

The light saber battle between Finn and Ren looks like it's going to be brutal and savage. I don't get the vibe of flipping, flying, super jedi that we saw in the prequels.

Speaking of Ren....he leading up some Star Wars Nazgul?

Finally, my FB is exploding with asinine comments like "My childhood is restored!" and "This trailer is more Star Wars than the prequels!" Give me a break...
Last edit: 20 Oct 2015 09:18 by Mr. White.

More
20 Oct 2015 09:21 #212863 by The*Mad*Gamer

This trailer is more Star Wars than the prequels!" Give me a break...

I will not give you a break, it is true! I was moved beyond words. I got chills,,,,
We are about to experience the most epic event is cinema history!

More
20 Oct 2015 09:33 - 20 Oct 2015 09:39 #212864 by Sagrilarus
I just want the bad guy to die the first time they kill him. I don't want any more of Abrams' "My God! He's not dead yet!" bullshit taking up another 30 minutes of film after the good guys win.

I think with a black leading character it's a pretty good bet that the film isn't only about the royal family we already know. That said, my wife (a twin and a mother of twins) is pissed that she hasn't seen both of Leia's kids yet, and my guess is one of them is the big baddie in the mask. If this is the case, the only conclusion I can come to is this -- "My God! He's not dead yet!" will continue for three more films.

S.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2015 09:39 by Sagrilarus.

More
20 Oct 2015 09:34 #212865 by scissors
No, it's Rey. That is her scavenger and speeder getup.

You can be jaded but this film looks pretty good going by the teasers and trailer.
Attachments:

More
20 Oct 2015 09:36 - 20 Oct 2015 09:41 #212866 by Mr. White
So, she's on the poster twice?

sagrilarus wrote: I think with a black leading character it's a pretty good bet that the film isn't only about the royal family we already know.

I'm gonna go with there being a Luke connection.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2015 09:41 by Mr. White.

More
20 Oct 2015 09:41 #212867 by The*Mad*Gamer

You can be jaded but this film looks pretty good going by the teasers and trailer.

This film is too big to be affected by the jaded, it will be like a sledgehammer to the nuts of the jaded!

More
20 Oct 2015 09:42 #212868 by Joebot
I liked it, I thought it was an effective trailer. I liked that they sketched out some character arcs for the new guys Rey and Finn. Even the new bad guy got a moment to show us what he's all about. I thought the moody, atmospheric opening with the single piano notes was very cool, and did a great job of establishing Rey's lonely existence.

That being said ... it also looks VERY familiar, and even repetitive. A poor orphan from a backwater desert planet gets pulled into a larger conflict. I've seen that TWICE already in these movies.

But then that music kicks in, and those sound effects ... and fuck it. All critical thought is vaporized and I'm 10 years old again.

More
20 Oct 2015 09:42 #212869 by The*Mad*Gamer
Ticket purchased! Dec 17th 7:05pm

I'm going alone. I don't want to let anyone see me crying!

More
20 Oct 2015 09:44 - 20 Oct 2015 09:46 #212870 by Grudunza
Mr. White, I had the same thought, initially... Why wouldn't Rey believe all that happened, when she makes her living (apparently) scavenging the ships from that era? But the difference is the religious/magical aspect of what happened... People will (and should) always be skeptical of that kind of thing, and the faith-promoting stories and such. What did Han say originally about hokey religions and ancient weapons? Well, now he's seen it firsthand, so he's a believer. But I can see the younger generation being wary of the old-timers' war stories about the guys who could move things with their minds.

I do see this as a parallel for the original, and that may end up being too much the case. Kylo Ren is a Vader fan, Rey is the new Anakin/Luke, the new Death Star ("now even Death Starrier!"), etc. But I also see a lot of new in this depiction, and there's no doubt this film is meant to be a bridge between generations of its audience and the earlier films and the characters within the films. So I think it needs to have some familiarity in theme and character, and looks like it definitely captures that while also bringing some freshness to the series.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2015 09:46 by Grudunza.

More
20 Oct 2015 09:46 #212871 by Michael Barnes
The goggles character is Rey,she appears to be some kind of scrapper or salvager. It looks like she's in that downed star destroyer. Probably looking for copper wire to sell.

The "Nazgul" are almost definitely the Knights of Ren, whom I think are going to be like some Sith preservation cult or society...like the First Order's SS.

If you'll notice they are really doubling down on the Third Reich allusions...and I think the First Order is going to heavily lean on the Empire and the Republic as sort of ancestral antecedents...appealing to the order and structure that the Rebels overthrew. Sort of like how neo-cons venerate the Reagan presidency.

Definitely Luke's hand. He is clearly in exile for reasons unknown.

I really think we're going to find that Kylo is self-taught. He may not even have force powers. But yeah, Finn facing off with him...that is going to be an awesome fight. Next time you are in Target lamenting the video game aisle, go over to toys and play with the Kylo lightsaber. It doesn't sound like the others. It sounds like a broke down muscle car or something. Angry and ragged. Like he's got a bad Kyber crystal in there or something.

The shot of Poe being tortured was unexpected.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433

More
20 Oct 2015 09:49 #212872 by scissors
No Mr white I thinkthat goggely-eyed other guy looks like some kind of droid. could be wrong.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds