October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Let's Talk Hipsters

More
11 Mar 2016 12:48 - 11 Mar 2016 12:52 #224181 by MacDirk Diggler
Replied by MacDirk Diggler on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
Buying toilet paper one sheet at a time solves nothing if it comes from China. The carbon footprint from transport exhaust of said sheet will contribute to global warming. And the labor conditions are poor.

I get my toilet paper at the local farmers market from a guy with a handlebar mustache in coveralls and clogs. He assures me it's a green product made from recycled hemp that was organically and sustainably grown and locally sourced.
Last edit: 11 Mar 2016 12:52 by MacDirk Diggler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2016 13:07 #224182 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Let's Talk Hipsters

JEM wrote: Costco hating hipsters. I had this on some other forum with incredulous urbanites saying "Who even does a weekly shop these days, you just get what you want on the way home at the Tesco Express" as if everyone lives that city lifestyle.

Costco is full of good stuff, plenty of organics, and the Kirkland brand stuff is all made by the usual companies (coffee by Starbucks etc). It's not gross consumerism, it's just supplies in bulk. Also, not too busy on a Sunday morning here in ATL.

I love Costco, because I save 4,000 post-tax dollars a year or so going there. We just got one here like a year ago, so it's not a 40 minute drive anymore. They have EVERYTHING.

But aside from that, the reason I like them is that they pay their employees well. I ~~~REFUSE~~~ to go to stores that have those self-service lanes as the primary checkout, and I refuse to use them. I'd rather pay a little more knowing that I'm not part of the "de-jobifying" of America. Costco pays their employees well above the national average and it shows. They're better, happier employees. That means something to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
11 Mar 2016 13:14 #224183 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
As far as crowds at Costco goes, I've found the perfect time is just before they close at night, esp on Fridays. Zero lines.

Their pay scale shows in their employee retention. My local one I see many faces have been there for a long time. Their name tags have their hire date and its not unusual to see 10, 15, 20 year employees.

More
11 Mar 2016 13:15 - 11 Mar 2016 13:18 #224184 by SuperflyPete

JEM wrote:

Alastair MacDirk wrote: Now the thread has devolved into a defense of Costxo.

Well, that's because these effete urbanite hipsters came into the thread to sneer at people who don't buy their toilet paper by the sheet. Seriously. Toilet paper, the barometer of fucking consumerism. Posted unironically no doubt from a fucking iPhone 6S.

I have to share this:

A while back, Sheryl Crow said some outlandish shit about saving the planet, and that she uses one square to wipe herself after using the loo. Well, it so happened that I was in Dallas in a rental car, and the radio control was virtually impossible to decipher, so I flicked it onto whatever was on, and Rush Limbaugh was on. He had callers mocking her, and Rush was sitting there wondering how that is even possible...one square.

A caller called in with the best call I've ever heard on the radio. He said, "Now, this is hard, so follow along. First, fold it in half, into a triangle. Then do it again, and again. Then again. When you've got it to the size of about a dime, you're ready to use it."

Rush was incredulous, and he asked how the hell you could effectively wipe with a dime-sized toilet paper sheet.

The caller, without missing a beat, said, "Oh, you don't wipe with it, you use it to clean out underneath your fingernail."

LMAOOOooooooOOOOooooo

Fucking hippy bullshit. I grew up in the sticks with a septic system, and if you wanted to get the shit beat out of you, the best way was to use too much paper and clog the system. That was a deadly sin in our house. Note: there were 4 women in my house. So, I'm all about conservation of toilet paper, but for fuck's sake, some of these faux-environmentalist morons kill me.

EDIT: OK...some details are wrong, but it's been like 10 years. I found it:
www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2007/04/23/de...lls_us_how_it_s_done
Last edit: 11 Mar 2016 13:18 by SuperflyPete.

More
11 Mar 2016 13:45 #224185 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
I look forward to the day when I can go to the grocery store, pack my cart, roll through an RFID arch to scan my cart contents, and have the amount deducted from my bank account or credit card. No checkout personnel involved.

More
11 Mar 2016 13:54 #224186 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
I only buy artisanal toilet paper made by earnest craftsmen in flannel shirts with beards, using traditional toilet paper making techniques that date back to the pre-industrial era. It comes packaged in recycled paper made from other recycled paper sourced locally.

But I also never take a dump because everything I eat is 100% pure and I waste absolutely nothing ever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, JEM

More
11 Mar 2016 14:04 #224188 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
I love that Sara Silverman bought those artisanal wipes that Jessica Alba markets and ended up wrecking the Four Seasons bathroom cuz you can't actually flush them.

More
11 Mar 2016 14:20 #224189 by MacDirk Diggler
Replied by MacDirk Diggler on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
Quit with the irony Barnes. It's a concept that's been co-opted by the hipsters.

More
11 Mar 2016 14:33 #224190 by SuperflyPete

Michael Barnes wrote: But I also never take a dump because everything I eat is 100% pure and I waste absolutely nothing ever.

And now we know why you are often so full of shit!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
11 Mar 2016 14:45 #224192 by Michael Barnes
At least you know my shit is 100% pure.

I love that movie.

More
11 Mar 2016 23:27 - 11 Mar 2016 23:28 #224218 by SuperFlySwatter
Replied by SuperFlySwatter on topic Let's Talk Hipsters

the_jake_1973 wrote: I look forward to the day when I can go to the grocery store, pack my cart, roll through an RFID arch to scan my cart contents, and have the amount deducted from my bank account or credit card. No checkout personnel involved.

you should come to Sweden where thats already an option, you pick up a scan remote with your trolley, scan stuff in as yo uwalk round and shove the remote into a self service terminal where you use your pin number to verify your card and then you're out.
Last edit: 11 Mar 2016 23:28 by SuperFlySwatter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, the_jake_1973

More
12 Mar 2016 11:35 #224225 by SuperflyPete
That's the conundrum I've always had - which jobs are more important and long-lived? The checkout folks, or the software developers who develop a scanner or RFID-based system of automated stuff.

My position has been (thus far) that the software developers can go develop anything. The checkout folks...not so much. They have more limited options. So, I'd rather pay a little more to support those jobs. Not saying it's what everyone should do, just what I do, because to me, it matters a lot.

More
12 Mar 2016 11:53 #224227 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
But if we replace the checkout folks with automation they'll have more free time to make artisanal products.

More
12 Mar 2016 12:07 #224228 by Michael Barnes
I was thinking about apprenticing with a master artisinal cotton candy craftsman.

More
13 Mar 2016 23:23 #224269 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Let's Talk Hipsters

Michael Barnes wrote: But I also never take a dump because everything I eat is 100% pure and I waste absolutely nothing ever.

No no, it needs to come out, if only to grow potatoes if ever you get stuck on Mars for a while.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.562 seconds