October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Prince has died...

More
21 Apr 2016 13:18 #226210 by Michael Barnes
I don't even know how to process this...

He was in Atlanta literally last week on that Piano and a Microphone tour...we didn't go because it was ridiculously expensive and it wasn't a full band show.

God damn I regret it now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2016 13:33 #226213 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Prince has died...
This is a major bummer. One of my first memories of buying music was when I was very young. I was at the county fair and I bought Purple Rain and Shout at the Devil.

More
21 Apr 2016 13:34 #226214 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic Prince has died...
Wow, what a shock. An immense talent.

More
21 Apr 2016 13:40 #226216 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Prince has died...
I'm getting a little case of celebrity-dying-fatigue

Some of the craziest anecdotes I've ever heard have been in interviews on Stern and they've all had some mention of Prince in them. I'm looking forward to hearing some of these stories in the days and weeks ahead.

More
21 Apr 2016 13:52 - 21 Apr 2016 13:55 #226218 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Prince has died...
Fuck.

I think what's always impressive about his catalog is his musicianship and, moreover, his mastery of a huge number of different styles. Like, he could be a heavy metal guitarist if he wanted and drop some insane funk with almost equal skill.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2016 13:55 by Gary Sax.

More
21 Apr 2016 13:52 - 21 Apr 2016 13:54 #226219 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Prince has died...
I was just thinking about MC Guru, who died 6 years ago yesterday. Resquiescat in pace. What a blow.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2016 13:54 by jeb. Reason: purple in his honor

More
21 Apr 2016 14:32 #226223 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Prince has died...
I remember watching Purple Rain in the theater, had the album too. But, I'll always remember and thank Prince for this bit of Superbowl excitement:

Attachments:

More
21 Apr 2016 14:35 - 21 Apr 2016 14:45 #226224 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic Prince has died...
That Superbowl performance was incredible and is also one of my stronger memories of him.

A more recent performance that he absolutely killed was on SNL a few years ago. He did one longer set instead of the traditional two sets with one song apiece. One of the better performances if not the best performance I've ever seen on that show.

Very sad and shocking day for music. Too many of those this year.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2016 14:45 by bfkiller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
21 Apr 2016 14:43 #226227 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Prince has died...
Nearly every party that I went to during college featured at least one song by Prince, and sometimes people would play the entire Purple Rain album. I was a big fan in the '80s, but lost track of him during that whole Artist Formerly Known As phase, even though I was living in Minneapolis at that time. Still, Prince was a legendary performer and songwriter who will not be forgotten.

More
21 Apr 2016 14:56 #226230 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Prince has died...
I remember watching the videos from 1999/Purple Rain in particular and it was like they were a window into a very specific, very Prince world. He doesn't often get credit for "worldbuilding", but think about how he would create styles, language, symbols, and so forth that were wholly his own. He created this sexy, daring, sometimes funny and sometimes dead serious place and his songs would take you there.

Purple Rain (the movie) really does this...it's like this self-contained reality with Prince at the center, almost like this Mephistofelean figure inviting you in...I think that was one of the reasons he blew up- he was showing this decadent, permissive world that it felt like you could be a part of if you would only be brave enough to put on the lacy overcoat, the high heel boots, the studded belt.

The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame cover of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" where he comes out and just completely shreds is one of my favorite guitar moments of all time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelCFC25, jeb

More
21 Apr 2016 15:08 #226231 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Prince has died...
I'm not overly familiar with Prince's extensive catalog (though Kiss is one of my favorite pop songs, period), but I have always been astonished at his talent and how his mind just oozed music. I've heard many times that the amount of unreleased material he has recorded is astonishing, enough to constitute several albums. He was a born recording star, the kind of person who had so much music in his head that he HAD to get it recorded, even if people never saw it.

We are poorer for this loss. What a bummer

More
21 Apr 2016 15:16 #226232 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Prince has died...
Good bye to the little genius.

More
21 Apr 2016 15:37 #226234 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Prince has died...

Michael Barnes wrote: The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame cover of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" where he comes out and just completely shreds is one of my favorite guitar moments of all time.

Game, blouses.

More
21 Apr 2016 16:12 #226236 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Prince has died...

Jackwraith wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame cover of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" where he comes out and just completely shreds is one of my favorite guitar moments of all time.

Game, blouses.

Yeah, this was nuts. "Oh, I'm sorry girls, I thought we were here to play guitar."

More
21 Apr 2016 18:36 #226247 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Prince has died...

The skit was based on a true story. More than three decades ago, Prince, wearing one of his trademark purple, flowing outfits, trounced Eddie Murphy and Charlie Murphy in a game of basketball. He then served pancakes to the brothers and their friends.

“They were good, man. They were really good. They were actually perfect,” Charles Murphy has said of the pancakes. “They were as good as he played guitar.”

Turns out Prince grew up playing basketball, football and baseball and he was actually quite good. He made his high school's varsity basketball team as a freshman.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds