October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Prince has died...

More
21 Apr 2016 21:35 #226257 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Prince has died...
Get your flu shots, you selfish a-holes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2016 21:53 #226259 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Prince has died...
It always comes in threes...

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Hex Sinister, wadenels

More
22 Apr 2016 08:25 - 22 Apr 2016 10:00 #226271 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Prince has died...
Anyone catch Daily Show last night ? In the moment of Zen, they played some performance acoustic just prince and some on guy on guitars. It was hauntingly beautiful. Anyone know what that song was ? I gotta track that down.

Found it. It starts at 10:52

Last edit: 22 Apr 2016 10:00 by Black Barney.

More
22 Apr 2016 08:59 #226277 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Prince has died...
.I moved back to the Twin Cities in '91, but I don't have any Prince stories to tell. It's a big metro area, and he lived way off in the southwestern corner. But Prince was very connected to this area. He could have lived anywhere after he got rich, but he chose to stay here, and even died in his Paisley Park studio yesterday.

The nightclub featured in the movie Purple Rain has been in business all these years, continuing to host good concerts and events on an ongoing basis. Last night, they stayed open until 7:00 AM, and several thousand people went downtown to dance in the street out front. It rained on and off all day, and when a rainbow seemed to shine over Paisley Park, the fans keeping vigil there went wild and shouted "Prince." All the local radio stations are playing his songs.

I normally don't get too upset when a famous person dies. They were rich and famous and seemed to have a good life, and that life had nothing to do with me. But the deaths of Bowie and Prince this year were tough, because they both made so much music that touched my life, and they were both utterly unique individuals who can't be replaced.

More
22 Apr 2016 10:02 #226282 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Prince has died...
It's been a bad year, to be sure. Prince, Bowie, Rickman, Natalie Cole, Otis Clay, Glenn Frey, Dave Mirra, George Martin, (Prince Related:) Vanity, Gary Shandling, Merle Haggard, Patty Duke, Lonnie Mack....

More
22 Apr 2016 10:11 #226283 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Prince has died...

SuperflyTNT wrote: It's been a bad year, to be sure. Prince, Bowie, Rickman, Natalie Cole, Otis Clay, Glenn Frey, Dave Mirra, George Martin, (Prince Related:) Vanity, Gary Shandling, Merle Haggard, Patty Duke, Lonnie Mack....

...Lemmy (still counting it!) Harper Lee, George Kennedy, Chyna...
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
22 Apr 2016 19:33 #226329 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Prince has died...
God damn motherfucking PERCOCET. He got addicted to it- after years of clean, healthy living- and now he is dead because of the pharmaceutical POISON that drug companies are allowed to sling.

How fucking sad is that? He took a prescriptions given to him by his physician, a pharmacist filled it, and it fucking killed a genius.

Maybe this will be a wake up call for people to start saying NO to this chemical trash that they'll take to avoid feeling uncomfortable and then wind up unable to stop taking it until it kills them. Or gives them constipation so bad they need to take ANOTHER toxic pharmaceutical just to use the bathroom.

Prince, one of the great musicians of our time, was seen pacing outside of a fucking Walgreens pharmacy the day before he died. That breaks my heart. He had to land his plane to get help because he ODed on it- he didn't have the flu.

I have a bottle of Percocet in my cabinet at home. In February, I had a very painful hernia surgery. The doctor assured me that I would need to get the Percocet prescription because I would be in severe pain without it. I did, and it felt like I was buying a gun.

Sure enough, the night I had the procedure it hurt severely once the general anesthesia wore off. I opened the Percocet but I stopped myself- "no way". I took a couple of asprin and did things to take my mind off the discomfort and pain. It still hurt, but it was bearable.

I didn't take any of that shit. And I started to wonder how often people take these FDA approved poisons under a physician's direction...just to avoid gritting their teeth a bit and just dealing with it naturally.

But doctors- complicit with the big pharma narco racket- prescribe this shit like it was candy. It used to be take two asprin and call me in the morning. Now it's take toxic poison for an indefinite time and call me to get a refill.

Fuck pharmaceutical companies. Fuck addiction. Fuck 2016 for killing off some of our best and brightest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, aaxiom

More
22 Apr 2016 19:38 - 22 Apr 2016 19:39 #226330 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Prince has died...
I'm with you as far as painkillers and addiction, fucking sucks, such a risk/reward. But for people who need them, opioids are super important so I can't go as far as you're going in your reaction.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2016 19:39 by Gary Sax.

More
22 Apr 2016 19:55 #226332 by Michael Barnes
I had a kidney stone a couple of years ago and it was the worst pain imaginable. It hurt so bad it felt like my brain was shutting down. I was throwing up, sitting in an emergency room in total living hell. They asked me if I wanted morphine and I felt like it was my only choice. As soon as it hit my vein I knew why people get hooked on it. It felt like HEAVEN.

I understand the need and benefit of opioids in trauma care and in extreme cases. But NO ONE "needs" them as a lifestyle/maintenance drug, which is how they are prescribed. If someone had chronic pain, there are plenty of non-addictive and even non-pharmaceutical ways to treat it. Marijuana for example. And acupuncture. But none of that stuff puts billions of dollars in the hands of this racket, so they convince people that "alternatives" don't work.

There's been a lot of talk about opioid addiction lately...and now Prince is dead because of it. I hope this is a flashpoint that gets people away from these poisons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney, aaxiom

More
22 Apr 2016 19:56 #226333 by Michael Barnes
Also, Friday Freakout,

More
22 Apr 2016 20:17 - 22 Apr 2016 20:17 #226336 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Prince has died...
Hardly. We had our friday freakout earlier this week with repo going apeshit on Jeff White for minimizing his game collection. Besides, we're not super far apart on this issue.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2016 20:17 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
22 Apr 2016 21:33 #226343 by mutagen
Replied by mutagen on topic Prince has died...
Having worked in "Big Pharma" most my life, I guess I could pick up the torch. I certainly disagree with almost everything Michael said. But I don't have the heart to piss all over a thread on Prince. Besides, I was in the freak out before last.

More
23 Apr 2016 09:06 #226350 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Prince has died...
There's also the possibility that he was on percocet instead of getting surgery that would have eased his pain because religious beliefs would have prevented him from the necessary blood transfusions for such surgery. Sometimes Western Medicine knows what it's doing, but people won't let it.

More
23 Apr 2016 18:04 - 23 Apr 2016 18:05 #226367 by MacDirk Diggler
Replied by MacDirk Diggler on topic Prince has died...
I don't know the details of his death, the coroner official report is a week away yet.

But regarding famous people and prescription medicine. I would guess Prince's relationship with his doctor may have been similar to Michael Jackson and that doctor. I had a friend in Norcal... "Dr. John", a hippie flavored kind of guy, super smart, M.D. He was approached by the Grateful Dead to be the band's doctor at one point. He talked to some other people involved with the band and learned that it would entail prescribing all kinds of things while he was not necessarily traveling with the band. He found that arrangement uncomfortable even though having that kind of access would be any hippie doctor's dream job. So I am saying perhaps Prince was prescribed whatever BIG PHARMA pills he was taking by somebody who was happy to get a fat paycheck and access to be Prince's personal physician.
Last edit: 23 Apr 2016 18:05 by MacDirk Diggler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds