October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Fandom Is Broken

More
29 Jun 2016 08:26 - 29 Jun 2016 09:01 #229483 by Mr. White
Fandom Is Broken was created by Mr. White
I'm sure our more with-it members have already read this piece, but we've had a go at fandom culture in the past, so thought the rest of us out of touch fogies might find it interesting.

birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/30/fandom-is-broken

I didn't follow the whole GamerGate thing either, but while reading the above piece I'm thinking the whole time about parallels to religious fanatics or how, as we move to a more secular society, crazies will still be crazy. The author visits this in the last paragraph.

Anyway, I actually came across that article while reading this newer one. This one being about superheroes specifically. Maybe those with more comic/supers leanings will find it interesting.

comicsalliance.com/superhero-fandom-virt...trackback=tsmclip%22
Last edit: 29 Jun 2016 09:01 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2016 09:22 #229486 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Fandom Is Broken
I couldn't read more than the first few paragraphs at that first link, because the site kept auto-scrolling me back to the top of the page.

Fandom has always been a bit broken, IMO. Fans latch onto their fannish obsessions as a way of disengaging from a tedious or worse reality. So when disappointing things happen to the object of their obsession, fans tend to be less able to cope. And because fandom is their safe place of retreat, it doesn't take much disruption to upset the fans. Comic books make for an especially volatile fandom, because you've got these classic characters from several decades ago that don't really fit our modern world. Too many white males, not enough diversity, and originally created for kids. Now all these characters have become hot movie and tv properties, but they need updating for the current market. Cue up the fan outrage. Aside from that, superhero comics always had a lot of creative churn, with frequent turnover of creative teams, and fans driven to spend more when outrageous changes happened.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
29 Jun 2016 09:40 #229487 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Fandom Is Broken
That's the one - religious zealots are zealots first and religious last. Crazy doesn't care what the obsession is, just that something to obsess over exists
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Mr. White, Colorcrayons

More
29 Jun 2016 10:10 - 29 Jun 2016 10:12 #229490 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Fandom Is Broken
That's OK, never liked fandom anyway. I consider myself a lifelong geek, but I don't have any nerdy "obsessions". I've never understood the "meta" hobbies like CosPlay...ugg, and getting all mad over a movie or a game or about the people in them. Hobbies are meant to be enjoyed, not stressed over. Their very nature is to relieve stress, to temporarily escape the real world....emphasis on "temporary". These people in the article need to grow the fuck up.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2016 10:12 by Chapel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
29 Jun 2016 10:22 #229491 by Ochobee
Replied by Ochobee on topic Fandom Is Broken

Chapel wrote: These people in the article need to grow the fuck up.

Sums up how I feel in a single sentence. Also applies to people that fight over sports, music and any other hobby.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Colorcrayons

More
29 Jun 2016 11:01 #229493 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Fandom Is Broken
I feel the directions crazies take to be their only flaw.
They have chosen a distraction to be their focus, or society has has manufactured a distraction to obsess over. That energy could do a lot of good if say, the guy painting his body gold and purple screaming about the vikings was instead as vociferous about domestic hunger/ poverty/ education/ abuse.

Eldridge Cleaver once wrote that as long as we have a TV in each house, we will never have a meaningful revolution.

To be a fanatic about anything other than fighting: misinformation, ignorance through lack of education, despotic leaders who do not represent their constituency, etc is just a bunch of people running around in circles waving their hands and shouting gibberish.

And there is a certain portion of society which wants to keep you like that. Uneducated, and more importantly, distracted in case you do happen to be educated.

More
29 Jun 2016 12:53 #229496 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Fandom Is Broken
I have been yelling about how awful fandom is for years.

More
29 Jun 2016 13:20 #229497 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Fandom Is Broken
"Bread and circuses" goes back a long way. It's always been about keeping people distracted from what's happening to them.

On topic: The best thing about the Internet is that it's the world's largest forum where everyone can participate and communicate. The worst thing about the Internet is that it's the world's largest forum where everyone can participate and communicate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
29 Jun 2016 14:11 #229498 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Fandom Is Broken
Good article, but this part jumped out at me as an indicator for part of the problem and also part of the weakness of the article's assumptions.

"These fans are treating stories like ordering at a restaurant - hold the pickles, please, and can I substitute kale for the lettuce? But that isn't how art works, and that shouldn't be how art lovers react to art."

Well... maybe it's time for geek culture objects to be a bit more about art then. It's interesting that fan entitlement often reaches it's crescendo with products that appear to be designed by committee, written & marketed in such a way that they do in fact come off as modular, disposable, tailored to audiences in an a la carte fashion. I think it's an ecosystem thing. These products have created these types of fans.

Besides, you can't just throw Art down as some sort of divider between the plebes and the enlightened creators. That shit flew out the window in the 60's.

More
29 Jun 2016 16:24 #229505 by Feelitmon
Replied by Feelitmon on topic Fandom Is Broken
I'm not a huge fan of Devin Faraci's. This is a guy who said that he has more respect for ISIS than for the GamerGate movement, after all, and even in this article he unironically labels GamerGate a "terrorist hate group." So he is Exhibit A when it comes to illustrating the pathologies of modern fandom.

That said, a lot of his article makes sense and I agree that technology enables a great deal of this stuff. I disagree about the corporatization of storytelling being some new problem though: music, TV, and movies have been that way for generations. To me he describes the main culprit quite well. It's the sense of entitlement that so many fans and other consumers have. But he lets the actual fans off the hook. To him it couldn't possibly be a generational difference in attitudes, because of that Gen Xer's death threat. I mean, QE Fucking D, right?

In my opinion technology and generational differences in attitude are the cause. You have to teach a 50-year old to troll on the Internet after all. They didn't take it in with their mother's milk the way Millennials do. So they learn by watching, just like anyone else does.

Every generation thinks that the culture is coarsening, right? I guess such complaints are inevitable, just like societal decline, heh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Frohike, Erik Twice

More
29 Jun 2016 17:02 #229507 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Fandom Is Broken

Feelitmon wrote: In my opinion technology and generational differences in attitude are the cause. You have to teach a 50-year old to troll on the Internet after all.

I'm on the backside of 40, and I perfected internet trolling before most of the millennials were even born.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
30 Jun 2016 08:04 #229523 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Fandom Is Broken

Feelitmon wrote: he unironically labels GamerGate a "terrorist hate group."

He's not wrong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken B., Colorcrayons

More
30 Jun 2016 10:26 #229538 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Fandom Is Broken
You know why I hate fandom? Because "fans" are full of bullshit.

Look at popular culture. Right now, fandom has everything it could ever want. A dozen comic-book films every year. The CW alone is slowly morphing into "The DC Comics Channel, with occasional shows about white dude vampires fucking." The highest grossing domestic movie of all time is FUCKING STAR WARS.

Yet they're not happy. They bitch even when given everything they ever wanted. "The MCU is going downhill." "Episode VII was derivative and ho-hum." Blah de blah de fucking blah blah blah.

I don't deal with fans or fandom anymore. Fuck 'em. Miserable little bitches.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, ChristopherMD, Colorcrayons

More
01 Jul 2016 03:01 #229589 by mutagen
Replied by mutagen on topic Fandom Is Broken
It turns out that when people stop believing in god, they don't then believe in nothing. They will believe in any damn thing. Sometimes they worship the state, and the great things they think the state can do, and sometimes they will just worship the batman. When you build your identity around batman, of course you are going to have problems when people muck around with the character. How could it be otherwise? As a fan of Jesus, but not a believer, you better believe that if I took it upon myself to rewrite the Book of John, I would collect more than a few death threats.

I used to proselytize for atheism. I don't anymore. People are even crazier without their gods then they are with them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Rliyen, Mr. White

More
01 Jul 2016 14:38 #229619 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic Fandom Is Broken

Ken B. wrote: Look at popular culture. Right now, fandom has everything it could ever want. A dozen comic-book films every year. The CW alone is slowly morphing into "The DC Comics Channel, with occasional shows about white dude vampires fucking." The highest grossing domestic movie of all time is FUCKING STAR WARS.

Yet they're not happy. They bitch even when given everything they ever wanted. "The MCU is going downhill." "Episode VII was derivative and ho-hum." Blah de blah de fucking blah blah blah.

I think there's an important distinction between being "ungrateful" and being "critical." Fans off geeky things absolutely should be grateful that we're truly living in a Geek Golden Age.

However, that doesn't mean we can't be CRITICAL of those things, and hold them to basic artistic standards of creativity, craftsmanship, and quality. I think there are totally valid, legitimate criticisms you can level at The Force Awakens, or the MCU, or whatever. In fact, I would argue the opposite -- fans often aren't critical ENOUGH. They're far too willing to lap this shit up without even thinking about it. And I HATE the argument, "Eh, it's just silly, genre nonsense, so it doesn't have to be good." UGH.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Hex Sinister, Legomancer, Jackwraith

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds