October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

No Man's Sky

More
10 Aug 2016 12:17 #231722 by Legomancer
No Man's Sky was created by Legomancer
Did something yesterday I've never done before: took the day off from work so I could play a videogame on the first day of release: No Man's Sky.

I'm playing on free play, and these are my first impressions, cobbled together from Twitter.

I played NMS for about 10 hrs yesterday. I'm enjoying it a bunch. I don't know why.

I haven't read about the game. I don't know much about it other than what I've played. So I can only give a small picture.

What sold me on it were comparisons to Starflight, which I spoke of here: www.daveexmachina.com/wordpress/?p=9416 … Large map, many random worlds, exploration

I am mostly in it for exploration, which I'm enjoying. Always seeing what's on that side of the hill, even if it's the same as this side

I found exploration in Skyrim to be boring, because it was same things over and over. NMS doesn't change that.

And the "sticky" terrain means it's not even tricky to get from point A to point B. You just go there.

Yet I played for ten hours and am looking to play for more.

I'm not sure about trading. It's pretty easy to get money. And you don't really need it for anything. I don't know what you're trading FOR

that may come later. right now I can't afford a big ship but I'd only need one for carrying things to trade, so who cares

Many item upgrades mention combat, but I haven't fought anything yet.

It appears you're part of a gigantic shared universe, but so gigantic you're unlikely to ever notice. That's fine by me.

So it comes down to the exploration, of just finding a new thing, even if it's another weird shaped rock. So far that's enough for me

but I can fully understand how it may not be enough for others. For me, right now, I'm enjoying it. A lot of gamers won't.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, engineer Al, JEM, Unicron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2016 12:22 #231723 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic No Man's Sky
Lego, can I ask you for a favour? Given how much you like me, i figure you'll go for this for sure.

No Man's Sky is the single most exciting concept of a game i think I've seen in DECADES. I've been following it and the hype for a while now. You know I don't have a Sony console so I won't be able to play it but I would LOVE to hear about what it's like. ESPECIALLY in the first few play sessions, I want to know if they nail that feeling of TOTAL freedom. Like is it overwhelming or exhilarating?

So if u could pop on here once a week (or daily, even better) and just write up a quick paragraph or two of your experiences, I would love to read that stuff. You and I seem to like similar things (younger women, being dicks, etc) so i bet I could get a good idea how I'd like the game.

On this total freedom thing, here is how I think games in the past have nailed it or failed it

PilotWings - first game where I felt freedom in a videogame
Rogue Squadron - first game I feel freedom to approach a scenario anyway I want
Oblivion and Fallout 3 - total freedom
Skyrim - FAILED it. i felt like it was overwhelming the stuff you could do and places you could go
Zelda Wind Waker - NAILED IT. I actually felt at peace sailing the seas
GTA IV - NAILED it. Once you get access to the choppers, it's like you can do anything you want. i loved that.
Sid Meier's Pirates! = NAILED it. You have an entire career to do whatever the heck you want
Elite Dangerous - i didn't get it, but I wonder if it has that freedom aspect that No Man's Sky seems to have. Especially since the DLC where you can land on planets.

Anyway, I'm super excited for No Man's Sky and would love to hear about it. please check in here sometimes while you're glued to that game

More
10 Aug 2016 12:29 #231725 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic No Man's Sky
Black Barney - what you two have in common...hahahahaha

Which Sid Meier's Pirates! are you referring to? The old 80s game or the one that came out about 10 years ago?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
10 Aug 2016 12:30 #231726 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic No Man's Sky
Elite: Dangerous did this for me. Except I can hunt other players, which is a big bonus

More
10 Aug 2016 12:35 #231727 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic No Man's Sky
I like the idea of No Man's Sky but I think I'd eventually get bored wandering from planet to planet without much ever happening. If there were random missions where you got to infiltrate bases and shoot dudes in their faces...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
10 Aug 2016 13:09 #231730 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic No Man's Sky
White, the one from the 80s was much more wide open, like No Man's Sky. The remake, while good, tried to give more quests and direction, like ballroom dancing, which made the game worse

More
10 Aug 2016 14:26 #231734 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic No Man's Sky
I was fighting it, but I think this is the kind of large-scale walking sim kinda game I need right now. We've got a 3-week old in the house. I'm in need of a game I can stream from my PC to the couch, that I can wander around in bite size chunks of ~30 minutes, and that doesn't require a ton of concentration. I was trying to do that with Witcher 3, but it doesn't stream super well with my PC, and needs more brainpower than I can devote with my current level of sleep.

NMS may be the kind of "activity" game that fits that role.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
10 Aug 2016 14:32 #231735 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic No Man's Sky
If you're looking for Huge Sprawling Destiny, you're out of luck. It's not a shooter. Like I said, though, there are item upgrades that talk about combat, but I haven't done any combat. I personally am not interested in interacting with other players at all and don't mind if I'm not shooting AI enemies. In fact, on Monday evening I was playing Uncharted 4 and enjoying a nice bit of climbing and exploring when suddenly the flotilla of bad guys arrived, wrecking it all with their bullshit. I have plenty of games where I can shoot hordes of aliens, so I don't care if NMS doesn't feature this.

Keep in mind that NMS is an indie game, not a AAA offering with big studio power behind it. It just happens to take on a large scale.

I should also point out, just for comparison, that I enjoyed The Witness and didn't think much of Firewatch, two other recent indie darlings. Oddly, NMS is closer to the latter than the former.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Unicron

More
10 Aug 2016 15:28 #231744 by Legomancer
A friend of mine wrote up his experiences here"

Ladies and gentlemen, we are grinding in space

More
10 Aug 2016 16:04 #231746 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic No Man's Sky
Is it even multiplayer? Could you, if you tried, actually meet up with another player? Is that a doable thing?

More
10 Aug 2016 17:54 #231750 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic No Man's Sky
Sounds like no one played "Mankind" here on the Fort. Strange, it was a huge sandbox universe, BUT had a lot more human interaction, and still a sim builder.

Loved that game.

More
10 Aug 2016 18:18 #231751 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic No Man's Sky

jeb wrote: Is it even multiplayer? Could you, if you tried, actually meet up with another player? Is that a doable thing?

Sounds like no, despite the lead dev repeatedly saying during development it was possible, but unlikely. Two twitch streamers managed to coordinate a meetup, but when they got to the appointed spot, they couldn't see each other. It was definitely the same spot on the same planet, but they were both alone. The lead dev was cagey when asked about it, saying he was surprised two people had managed to meet up. Nobody's sure if the implied MP aspect was never there to begin with, or was quietly removed and not mentioned to anyone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
10 Aug 2016 18:40 - 10 Aug 2016 18:42 #231754 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic No Man's Sky

Legomancer wrote: A friend of mine wrote up his experiences here"

Ladies and gentlemen, we are grinding in space

If that's a reference to the Spiritualized album, I'm sold.

Also, considering how much mileage I got out of Eidolon, a much more crude walking simulator in the post-human genre, I think this game is right up my alley. That $60 price is a bit steep, though.
Last edit: 10 Aug 2016 18:42 by Frohike.

More
10 Aug 2016 19:55 #231762 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic No Man's Sky
Lego, is there any sort of programming/construction/logic/player-made-automation in the game? That's what makes Minecraft stand tall among other survival game. Being able to make my own transport/factory whatever is huge. I love building multiple installations and connecting them with switchable rail network.

More
11 Aug 2016 08:46 #231795 by Legomancer
Had my first space battle last night, as well as some other minor combat. Also my first (and second) death.

I had been heading towards a manufacturing facility to find out how to make Antimatter in order to use my hyperspace drive (which I'm not really interested in using yet, but this is one of the things the game is pointing me towards.) When I got there, the door was sealed and my mining laser wouldn't damage it. So I switched to the boltcaster (a combat mod for the mining laser) and started shooting the door.

There are these little drones flying around on planets called Sentinels. Normally they don't do much of anything, but me shooting the door pissed them off and they started attacking me. I was able to take down a few but then they killed me. This isn't unexpected; I'm not particularly tricked out for combat. When I died, I bounced back to my last save spot (which was right next to where I died) and a "grave" popped up. The sentinels had calmed down. Interacting with the grave got me my stuff back. The door was only halfway destroyed, so I repeated but this time was able to not die. (I later found a different sealed door and got killed by sentinels again.) Killing sentinels gives you some elements, some trade items, and there's an achievement.

Soon after, coming back from a space station, I got scanned and attacked by pirates. Again, my ship isn't exactly set up for a lot of combat, but I was able to keep my shields up and take them out. This got me some rarer elements and again, an achievement. Pretty sure this was a scripted "tutorial" interaction.

Answering some questions:

If you're looking to interact with other players, it seems like you're out of luck. For me, this is a plus.

There doesn't seem to be construction of stuff in the game other than enhancements to your suit, ship, and weapon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.338 seconds