October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Who is into GUNPLA?

More
03 Jul 2017 22:09 #250807 by barrowdown
Replied by barrowdown on topic Who is into GUNPLA?
Here is my Kimaris in my rough approximation of a pose. The lance looks like it is resting on the ground in the photo, but it is about a centimeter above it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2017 14:16 #250981 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Who is into GUNPLA?
How about that. Vallejo just announced a line of Gunpla paints

war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/2221

More
07 Jul 2017 16:25 - 07 Jul 2017 16:28 #250989 by barrowdown
I saw that and they are already air-brush ready, which means an insta-buy. Painting up the SD Barbatos was an interesting challenge as I did not have perfect color matches of the plastic (particularly the blue), so I am hoping they are really close to the official colors. They have recipes in all of the manuals, but there is no way I am carefully mixing five paints to get a perfect match.

I just started the assembly process on the SD Barbatos.

I've never done this panel lining thing before, so it is an interesting challenge.
Last edit: 07 Jul 2017 16:28 by barrowdown.

More
07 Jul 2017 16:29 #250990 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Who is into GUNPLA?
Yeah my six year old finds that tough too

More
07 Jul 2017 16:33 - 07 Jul 2017 16:34 #250991 by Michael Barnes
They have an RX-78 on their POS collateral so that means they are probably licensed...which you would think mean proper matching. And it looks like a full range.
Last edit: 07 Jul 2017 16:34 by Michael Barnes.

More
07 Jul 2017 16:34 #250992 by barrowdown
You just blew my mind. I can get my mini-human to do the panel-lining and describe it as a type of coloring!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
07 Jul 2017 16:35 #250993 by barrowdown
Do you have more info? How many colors? Are they releasing a full set case?

More
07 Jul 2017 16:52 #250994 by Michael Barnes

More
07 Jul 2017 17:03 #250995 by barrowdown
Looking at the source video, it's 64 containers (I'm guessing 59 are paints and the other 5 are technical things), which is perfect for fitting into one of their cases. I'm very excited for this.

On a related note, Gunpla has been the perfect thing to get me excited about painting again. Though I now have to resist buying everything at hand with the hobby shop closing (I grabbed a RG MkII Titans and a MG Freedom this week already and I am eyeing a PG Astray, but want the price to drop a bit more first).

More
09 Jul 2017 21:27 - 09 Jul 2017 21:33 #251043 by barrowdown
Finished the SD EX Barbatos:

Here is what it looks like stock (not my photo) without stickers:

And with stickers (not my photo)

I did not like this kit. The assembly is very easy, but it doesn't look good enough to make it worth the trade off. The backside is terrible with tons of gaps everywhere. It was bad enough to turn me off the SD EX kits, but it would probably be good for the 5-8yo range for an early kit to see if they enjoy it.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2017 21:33 by barrowdown.

More
17 Aug 2017 10:55 #252538 by barrowdown
Not posed yet as I still need to varnish the equipment, but I was excited to have finished my MG Freedom 2.0:

I'll post a posed picture wants I get it all sealed.

Things I have learned from this kit:

- Always get the water slide decal addons. The stickers are terrible, particularly on the dark colors.
- Graphite works well on white and very light grey, but fails on the darker colors that are still a bit too light to use black. I need a grey marker.
- The MG kits are way more fun (at least for me) to build than the HG/SD/NG kits. They look nicer, move better, and are very cleverly designed.

I also finished up a (NG) 1/100 Full Mechanics Iron Blooded Orphans Gusion Rebake and got a second clearance kit to also build the Gusion. I am about half way done with the Gusion and I will post pics once I have completed both versions. It's a decent kit, but kind of a rip off as it is priced much higher than the rest of the 1/100 FM-IBO line because it is almost two complete kits. However, you can only build one of them as they share the same frame. This is pretty galling as the Gusion could have easily been designed to be frameless as the torso and hip frame is functionally irrelevant except for the joint between them. One extra small sprue with arm and thigh parts and a modified hip to torso joint would have been enough to build both of them.

More
20 Aug 2017 18:22 #252706 by Michael Barnes
That looks awesome man! I haven't done any of the waterslide decals yet...but they make a HUGE difference. The stickers they come with are a nightmare.

More
21 Aug 2017 10:31 #252745 by barrowdown
Here is the completed Gusion:

...and the Gusion Rebake:

The Gusion still needs to be panel lined, but I need to wait until I get a grey marker. The green is just a bit too dark for graphite. The Rebake is completed, although I could go back and pick out its cheek grills in orange as I missed those on my initial build. There are several painted details on the model including all of the white on the shield. The Gusion Rebake is an easy kit to build that looks great. The Gusion looks good, but has very limited poseability due to its bulk. The limitations of the 1/100 Full Mechanic frame really show here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
07 Apr 2018 09:16 #267089 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Who is into GUNPLA?
Mecha has recently captivated my imagination and I’ve decided to dabble a bit and see if it’s for me. I like model building, I like toys, and I like robots, so why the hell not? I ordered the RX-78-2 Revive and Barbatos from IBO for starters. Got some new modeling tools and a few markers on the cheap, too. I’ll let you guys know how it goes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
07 Apr 2018 11:28 #267095 by barrowdown
I have not posted in this thread for a while, but I’ve been steadily building them (primarily RGs with the occasional MG). That will probably stall for a bit as I work on AoS stuff.

If you are into and have experience with traditional model building, MG kits are probably your sweet spot. They are mechanically detailed often with clever articulation and shifting components that move as you bend joints. RG kits are mechanical marvels but most of their internal structure is from a partially assembled frame and the focus is on hyper detailing the tiny scale mecha. HG has the widest range (and the same scale as RG) but are usually much simpler construction.

As a guide, I’d say SD/HG takes about an hour, MG around four hours (increase 2-3 hours for a Ver.Ka) and 5-6 hours for an RG. Hope you enjoy it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds