2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
ร—
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Board gamer is now world boxing champion and rich

More
02 Jul 2017 10:04 - 03 Jul 2017 00:39 #250763 by Cranberries
If they make a movie about his life, they can show him playing Settlers of Catan during the training montage.

Who is Jeff Horn?
Eleven years ago, Horn was a self-described nerd from Brisbane who walked into a boxing club to learn self-defence.
He read books, played board games in the library at lunchtime, and was often the victim of bullying.

www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-39866485

Mr Hornโ€™s idea of a thrilling Saturday night is a game of Monopoly where Mayfair is still up for grabs. He likes role-playing games. He likes a board game called Settlers of Catan where players establish a colony on a fictional island. They ยญprogress through the game by spending resources of brick, lumber, wool, grain and ore. Manny ยญPacquiao does not play Settlers of Catan.

www.theaustralian.com.au/life/weekend-au...52b9af6cdf93a79b4fcb
Last edit: 03 Jul 2017 00:39 by Cranberries.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2017 17:26 #250777 by SuperflyPete
He's a mediocre fighter at best who got leveled by Pac in ever conceivable way, and the judges are determined to make him a star and thus gave him the title.

Whomever he fights next may literally kill him
in the ring.

More
02 Jul 2017 18:37 #250778 by DukeofChutney
I didn't watch this fight due to me thinking it was a sham, i didn't realise what kind of sham it was going to be. How'd you score it Superfly?

More
03 Jul 2017 08:03 #250781 by Cranberries
CBS had it scored as a tie. Pacquiao is ten years older and slowing down. I hate the descriptions of aging athletes. "He's losing a step" or "Jordan is masting the fading jumper because he no longer has the speed in the paint." Crap, I'm fifty. "Cranberries is only half the man he used to be, and his wife will confirm this."

More
03 Jul 2017 19:00 #250802 by SuperflyPete

DukeofChutney wrote: I didn't watch this fight due to me thinking it was a sham, i didn't realise what kind of sham it was going to be. How'd you score it Superfly?

Horn was outmatched by a much more experienced opponent. Kid is tough but he got beaten soundly without reservation.

And ESPN's damning conclusion:

Horn after:

This says it all:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
03 Jul 2017 20:55 #250805 by Black Barney
I take it the guy with the ice pack was the one trading sheep for bricks when he should have been skipping rope and working the speed bag?
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75, SuperflyPete, stoic

More
04 Jul 2017 01:43 #250810 by SuperflyPete

Black Barney wrote: I take it the guy with the ice pack was the one trading sheep for bricks when he should have been skipping rope and working the speed bag?

He was working the speed bag, but the one in his trousers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
04 Jul 2017 09:24 #250812 by Jexik

More
04 Jul 2017 11:00 #250820 by dysjunct
I'm not a fan of Dana White, but like he always says, if you don't want to risk a bad decision, don't let it go to the judges.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
10 Jul 2017 19:50 #251078 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Not a boxing fan, but I have found this fascinating from a decision making perspective. With the rescore is in with Horn still winning (7 rounds to 5), so clearly according to the official criteria Horn is the undisputed winner. It is one of those things where the criteria used to determine a winner (rounds won) is not necessarily the most appropriate one. But then if you had it on punches landed then I am certain there are other bouts that people would feel went the wrong way (possibly the Rumble in the Jungle if it had gone the distance). I know that for voting systems there never has been one that mathematicians can agree provides the perfect result, and almost certainly any time you have to go to an arbitrary criteria you will get unusual results.

More
11 Jul 2017 09:11 #251094 by SuperflyPete
The problem with judges is that they have to worry about the politics too.

The only way I see Horn winning is politics. Every single thrown/landed chart I've seen shows Pac beating him.

More
11 Jul 2017 16:57 #251117 by Ancient_of_MuMu

SuperflyTNT wrote: The problem with judges is that they have to worry about the politics too.

The only way I see Horn winning is politics. Every single thrown/landed chart I've seen shows Pac beating him.

I am intrigued by your accusation of politics as I doubt there is any benefit to the sport by having Horn win. I think you missed the fact that this is scored like area control, not units killed. It is a bad judging system not biased judges.

More
11 Jul 2017 17:15 - 11 Jul 2017 17:16 #251118 by bfkiller
I didn't watch this particular fight, but I will point out that judges do consider more than just the number of punches landed when scoring a round, including ring generalship and damage inflicted. Judging a fight is as much an art as it is a science.

And sometimes fights are just fixed.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2017 17:16 by bfkiller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
11 Jul 2017 21:56 #251122 by SuperflyPete

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: The problem with judges is that they have to worry about the politics too.

I am intrigued by your accusation of politics as I doubt there is any benefit to the sport by having Horn win. I think you missed the fact that this is scored like area control, not units killed. It is a bad judging system not biased judges.

Nigga Plllllleeeeeease. I've been a boxing fan since I was a little boy. I'm 42 now. If politics and money wasn't a factor then how can Don King have existed?

Hometown Brisbane boy beats foreign devil in a xenophobic country. How many new Aussie fans just got made in a sport feeling massive pressure and dying sales?

But hey, don't take my word for it.

Participation Trophies

This was Manny chasing Horn, like he did over half the fight. And a rant about what a fucking robbery it was.

An analytical view on the fight including the straight up uncalled fouls.

Teddy Atlas saw a setup

And another interview showing he got robbed.

HORN LANDED 15%!!

Fuck that. The only MFs who didn't see Manny win were the three North/SouthAmerican cunts flown in to rob him.

More
11 Jul 2017 22:07 #251123 by SuperflyPete

bfkiller wrote: I didn't watch this particular fight, but I will point out that judges do consider more than just the number of punches landed when scoring a round, including ring generalship

Manny beat his ass in 8 of 22 rounds but Horn started strong.

and damage inflicted.

Manny never got hurt. All the head cuts were inflicted by headbutts that never got penalized. Horn nearly got knocked-the-fuck-out and looked like hamburger meat by the end. Granted, he didn't get KOed and put up a good fight but not a chance did he win. Not even by the extraneous factors.

And sometimes fights are just fixed.

This is an example.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds