October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Is The Time Of The Publisher Over?

More
27 Nov 2017 18:36 #258297 by Shellhead
Some of my all-time favorite games are based on specific movie/tv/book licenses. Traditional publishers (especially FFG and GF9) are much more likely to land a deal for a hot license than some rando with a kickstarter idea.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2017 21:48 #258302 by Msample
It’s a lot easier to keep track of a few quality publishers than wading through the morass of KS stuff. The link at the top has over 200 fucking entries. If a KS is good I’ll hear about via reliable sources. Ain’t got time for that shit. Plus most of what I buy is war games, which has not proven that successful on KS, relatively speaking.

More
29 Nov 2017 12:01 #258340 by Egg Shen

Space Ghost wrote: How is Dungeon Degenerates? Worth getting?

So far I'm loving it. I'm an adventure game junkie and this manages to scratch the "weird fantasy" genre for me. The rulebook takes a few reads to figure things out, but the mechanics are fairly straightforward and overall pretty solid. It's single best trait is how open it is. You will begin a scenario with some specific goal and how or if you accomplish it is basically up to you. I'm not big into campaigns, but I might just start one with DD.

More
29 Nov 2017 12:58 #258349 by Sagrilarus
These things always seem to merge in the long run. Right now Ares is kickstarting a game that is going to be made either way, the scheduling won't change, the print run won't change. The only purpose that Kickstarter is serving is marketing. I would not be surprised to see more traditional publishers do the same thing since Kickstarter has the eyeballs.

In time Kickstarter will become middle-aged and it will become another eBay, one where you pay and then don't get your product for nine months. As with eBay it will continue, but not be the force that it is today. Publishers will use it judiciously when it is appropriate.

As for one-off games from the designer, those have been around for years. I have a copy of Vanished Planet if anybody wants it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, Msample

More
30 Nov 2017 14:12 #258413 by ChristopherMD
If I recall, FFG offered exclusive prints and a hardcover book for pre-orders of Twilight Imperium 4. Maybe Pre-Order Exclusives are going to be the new thing. I know they aren't a new idea but they seem a natural way for publishers to have something comparable to KS exclusives and to build hype for buying the game pre-release.

More
30 Nov 2017 15:08 #258416 by Michael Barnes
At the "big publisher" level, it's not so much over as it is about consolidation. Whether that means Asmodee buying FFG and Z-Man or WOTC and GW farming out board game production to other companies, it's all about combining to enable the big licenses, to handle worldwide retail distribution and to support traditional retail sellers. The upper-middle range of independently owned and operated publishers is practically non-existent at this point, virtually everything there has gone under the umbrella of a larger company. What is left are the slightly more niche publishers like GMT, and longstanding indies like Sierra Madre, Splotter, and Asmadi that are still working in the regular supply chain. All of the other small publishers have gone to Kickstarter, with very few exceptions like Devious Weasel- but at that level you are also talking at <1000 copy sales.

The reality of it is, as others have pointed out here, that GoT Catan is going to sell with almost no marketing required other than putting it on your new releases shelf or in the shop window. It doesn't need the hype, it doesn't need the stretch goals, it doesn't need the pervasive and irritating banner ads. And as dazzling as the million-dollar Kickstarter finishes are, in the long term it will likely outsell all but the most successful Kickstarter titles. Year over year, I'd be willing to bet that timeless, evergreen titles like Carcassonne, Pandemic, Ticket to Ride and others like that greatly outsell anything coming out of crowdfunding, and these are games that have been selling at steady volume for in Carcassonne's case over 15 years. Contrast that with most of the Kickstarter stuff that launches with much froo-frah, sells out one shipment at retail, and then the restock sits quietly on the shelf until it moves to the clearance shelf.

I also don't think it's an exaggeration to state that X-Wing has done more for the health of the hobby industry than anything crowdfunding has.

What seems to be the big thing lately has been classic 1980s nerd movies turned into games- Labyrinth, Big Trouble in Little China, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, The Thing, Goonies...gosh, I wish this trend would die in a fire.

I still, of course, vastly prefer games from established publishers. I think back to all the guys on a grid games I've played over the past couple of years from Kickstarter....and they aren't on my shelf. But Necromunda is over there and always will be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
30 Nov 2017 15:48 #258421 by barrowdown

Michael Barnes wrote: I still, of course, vastly prefer games from established publishers. I think back to all the guys on a grid games I've played over the past couple of years from Kickstarter....and they aren't on my shelf. But Necromunda is over there and always will be.

I call first refusal on the Necromunda stuff when you sell it off in 12 months.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Sagrilarus, SuperflyPete, Erik Twice

More
30 Nov 2017 15:57 #258422 by Shellhead
Game of Thrones Catan sounds like stupid, greedy bullshit. What next, Love Letter: YINSH?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
30 Nov 2017 16:13 #258426 by Sagrilarus

Shellhead wrote: Game of Thrones Catan sounds like stupid, greedy bullshit. What next, Love Letter: YINSH?

Communist.

More
30 Nov 2017 18:52 #258436 by Msample
CMON just announced a partnership with Steve Jackson. Can you say MunchkinCide?

More
30 Nov 2017 20:35 #258441 by hotseatgames

Msample wrote: Can you say MunchkinCide?

I can. But I will not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Sagrilarus

More
30 Nov 2017 20:47 #258442 by Michael Barnes
I tried but God stopped me by rendering me mute.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Nov 2017 20:56 #258444 by Gary Sax
Munchkincide Legacy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, san il defanso

More
01 Dec 2017 08:32 - 01 Dec 2017 08:33 #258460 by Cranberries
I heard that FFG is releasing Dungeon Degenerates: Westeros
Last edit: 01 Dec 2017 08:33 by Cranberries.

More
01 Dec 2017 11:26 #258476 by SuperflyPete
ESCAPE FROM GILLIGAN'S ISLAND: THE BOARD GAME is one that I'd love to play. I should design it, make it like Wilderness Survival but fun, with events and crazy, completely improbable inventions to ward off the bad stuff and aid in the escape.

That's one "money grab" that I'd be all over.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds