October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

We need to talk about Into the Breach

More
20 Jul 2022 17:10 - 20 Jul 2022 17:17 #334374 by Gary Sax
Yes, basically always take mech damage over grid damage or especially bonus objective damage every single time. With the exception of the guys who web you, who can sometimes trap your mechs and kill them, you'll almost always be able to move/protect low hp mechs pretty easily.

Everyone has a different way of approaching this game mentally, I'm sure, but what I do is think about each enemy that is shooting at a building or objective as a problem. My ideal objective is to get at least one or two mech moves to take care of two problems simultaneously---that could be blocking a shot while punching a different bug to kill it, pushing two units with one shot, or moving a single enemy to kill another enemy before it shoots.

The turn order button in the top is super important. Environmental damage and fire happens *before* any of the enemies and the enemies operate in a particular order, and this can be very, very important. I must admit I still run into issues sometimes where I didn't understand a particular game rule and I lose the game or get a bunch of grid damage I wasn't expecting.

Their recommendation to start with the initial squad is a good idea, I think. Unless you get easily bored by them, I would play them for a while and learn them, maybe till you get a win. That squad deals direct damage and teaches you about how push powers can be much better than direct damage in a lot of cases. They're quite powerful, so don't feel like the new squads you open up will give you so much better a chance to win the game or something.

This game is much, much easier to win than FTL imo on "normal" difficulty, which I exclusively play. I'm not a god like Jexik ;)
Last edit: 20 Jul 2022 17:17 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2022 18:06 - 20 Jul 2022 19:04 #334375 by Jexik
The above advice is all good. I'll also point out that if you don't fail any objectives on an entire island, you get a nice bonus, which can include pilots that you don't have yet. While unlocking new squads won't necessarily increase your odds of winning a whole run unless you find one that clicks better with you, certain pilot/mech combos are very powerful:

Camila Vera (immune to web/smoke) is very good with the Rusting Hulks, especially the Jet Mech.

Abe Isamu (Armor) is very good with a bunch of self-damaging units, including the Charge Mech in The Zenith Guard, A couple options in the Hazardous Mechs (or whatever that last team is called). He's also good in the Steel Judoka to make it easier to get their armor achievement, or with the Blitzkrieg in the Rock launcher to have even more armored guys that won't die immediately to your own lightning.

Bethany Jones (starts with a shield) is busted with the Ice Mech from the Frozen Titans. It normally freezes itself when its power is used, but not if shielded.

I got cocky and stared a new game just playing hard with all the new add-ons to make things weirder. I lost twice with the Rift Walkers, haha. Maybe I'm a bit rusty and the new stuff messes with me.

Another very general piece of advice I'll give. When you get a new squad, look at their achievements. Often it will clue you in to what some of their tricks are.
Last edit: 20 Jul 2022 19:04 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
21 Jul 2022 14:42 - 21 Jul 2022 14:42 #334384 by Gary Sax
Finally starting to mesh with Steel Judoku, got their cheevos so just going for their 4 island win now. Using a compatible pilot is so important with them.

+3 grid trait is such a horrible draw. By contrast, the new opener trait is inCREDible.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2022 14:42 by Gary Sax.

More
21 Jul 2022 14:44 #334385 by Gary Sax

Jexik wrote: Another very general piece of advice I'll give. When you get a new squad, look at their achievements. Often it will clue you in to what some of their tricks are.

Getting some of these requires weird degenerate play that makes a run only about getting it, but even these abbreviated achievement runs can still be quite educational about what is possible.

I hate the 30 minute one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
21 Jul 2022 15:12 - 21 Jul 2022 15:14 #334386 by Disgustipater
(I am not a game developer but) How can you release an iOS game these days without iCloud support? The few games I’ve looked into recently didn’t have it. I could be playing Into The Breach on my phone on my lunch break RIGHT NOW.

Well, I can play it, but no progress carries over so why bother.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2022 15:14 by Disgustipater.

More
21 Jul 2022 15:43 #334387 by Gary Sax
I just about guarantee you it's related to their Netflix deal somehow.

More
21 Jul 2022 19:45 #334392 by Jexik
I feel like the other two achievements help you get that 30 minute one, it’s actually one of my favorites. Blocking as many spaces as possible plus zapping tons of stuff in long chains is fun. That squad started to click more once I started using the hook mech’s body to make a bigger chain of Vek. It has armor for that reason I think.

More
23 Jul 2022 05:19 #334420 by mtagge
The new squads all seem to me to rely on advanced positioning plays. Funny, I don't remember sucking this much the first time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Jul 2022 12:25 #334429 by Jexik

mtagge wrote: The new squads all seem to me to rely on advanced positioning plays. Funny, I don't remember sucking this much the first time.

Between that and the new enemies, I’m struggling a bit more too. Certain mechs seem real powerful, but also more conditional.

More
23 Jul 2022 12:46 #334431 by Gary Sax

mtagge wrote: The new squads all seem to me to rely on advanced positioning plays. Funny, I don't remember sucking this much the first time.

They're quite difficult, I would definitely proceed through the squads somewhat linearly if you're having trouble. They're mostly ordered in a tutorial fashion. I hadn't gotten a 4 island victory with the fire guys so that's my next priority, I'm also missing their "five guys on fire" achievement.

More
29 Jul 2022 01:19 #334619 by Gary Sax
I've played like 30 hours since this expansion/patch came out, finally recently started trying the new squads in earnest. The design on these new mech squads is insane. The creativity is incredible, equivalent to the absolute best tabletop designers working. I'm on island 4 with the Mist Eaters, it's madness.

More
10 Aug 2022 13:05 #334934 by Jexik
I’ve been thinking a bit about your last idea (that you’d like to see them design a tabletop game) and this one is a little more complex than I usually like in board games. Things that are simple digitally, like keeping track of status effects, terrain effects, and initiative get a bit bogged down in cardboard. Gloomhaven comes to mind, which is nevertheless popular and in my opinion a worse game than ItB, even comparing the digital versions.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds