October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk About Age of Sigmar

More
22 Mar 2018 01:42 #266161 by Sevej
Soo, which faction are they? Order? Chaos? Doesn't seem to be Death.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2018 08:57 - 22 Mar 2018 09:06 #266170 by Mr. White
Order

Thinking about it more last night, I can see how some are less than excited. I guess expectations were they'd look a little more 'deep sea'...maybe more creature like. I mean 'failed' creations of Teclis makes me think they'd be sort of monstrous. A deep sea army of failed creations seems to be great for a Destruction faction (which needs a lot of love). these models are cool, but they just look like....elves.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2018 09:06 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
22 Mar 2018 09:12 #266172 by Michael Barnes
Well, there’s also the whole Aquaman Dilemma.

Warhammer is a land based game. So that means sharks, turtles, seahorses, etc. are out of their element (which they need to live) so they seem awkward and out of place. All these flying fish. I’m also thinking about terrain...how goofy it would be to have these guys on most terrain tables. It’s not like they are pirates come ashore...they brought seahorses with them.

Thinking about the Dark Elf dude in Hammerhal, I think that is a better “Sea Elf” concept, really. So it is disappointing that these are realy just plain old elves with fish friends.

I’m seeing a whole lot of meh about them...lots of “some neat stuff, but nah”.

More
22 Mar 2018 09:18 #266174 by ufe20
I know it's dumb as all hell, but I really love that giant floating turtle thing. But yeah, some of these guys with schools of fish floating around them are going to look out of place on a lava mat.

When is the Death alliance getting some love?

More
22 Mar 2018 09:22 #266175 by Mr. White
From what i understand, the faction casts spells that provide these heavy 'mists' that the creatures actually swim through. ('Mistweaver' fits this).

On the whole, it's a tough spot to be in though. For years, people have wanted 'mermen' or sea creature type armies. But they then have that same issue you point out. Sort of silly in a land based game.

Mantic took a stab at it

These look more like any other land based army, but with armour that has a sea motif.

These Deepkin look like GW went all in on actually giving players sea animals. And the result is...unique.

More
22 Mar 2018 09:25 - 22 Mar 2018 09:28 #266177 by Mr. White

ufe20 wrote: I know it's dumb as all hell, but I really love that giant floating turtle thing. But yeah, some of these guys with schools of fish floating around them are going to look out of place on a lava mat.

When is the Death alliance getting some love?

I linked a video of a new Death model. Probably a new Black Coach. Big rumor is there's a new AoS starter coming that is Stormcast v Death. This also matches what looks to be in the new Shadespire starter. Recall, both the current AoS and Shadespire starters are Khorne v Stormcast.

Before y'all get yer panties in a wad about more stormcast....this is the Age of _Sigmar_. The whole F'n narrative is him building forces to take back some of the realms. If Chaos is getting out of control...stormcasts will be there. If death is rising from the grave...Siggy will sent his golden boys there.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2018 09:28 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ufe20

More
22 Mar 2018 09:26 #266178 by Colorcrayons
The themaic terrain for the table is pretty easy to do.

Just throw some fish tank crap (excuse me. "Aquarium decorations") all over the table. Done.

And not the good stuff. I mean the bad stuff.

Treasure chests with a scuba diver

Boat steering wheel with a skeleton

A little sign that says "gone fishing" (Ha! Get it?!? It's funny because it's a fish tank thing! Ha!)

Some shitty plastic plants that just fall over

Etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, ufe20

More
22 Mar 2018 09:32 #266180 by ufe20
Mr White, somehow missed that last post with the Death videos. Good to hear. I'd be down with another Stormcast starter as long as it's not just more liberators.

More
22 Mar 2018 09:54 #266183 by Michael Barnes
This just in- new starter will feature Deepkin- will be called “Ambush at Red Lobster”.

More
22 Mar 2018 09:56 #266184 by Colorcrayons
Oh fuck, I love their cheddar biscuits!

More
22 Mar 2018 10:52 #266188 by Gary Sax
That dude with the water cape is really gonzo and cool. The rest of them are pretty hit or miss. I like the octopus guy too. (am I unknowingly turning into Barnes?)

More
22 Mar 2018 11:20 #266189 by Mr. White
Deepkin may not be to everyone's taste, but a battle between the deepkin and the kharadron would be pretty cool. A sea battle taking place on land and in the air above them.

it's also classic dwarf v elf action.

More
22 Mar 2018 12:02 #266191 by barrowdown
I am totally getting these whenever I finish painting up the ton of Kharadron I just bought (which means probably never), but I really like a lot of the aesthetics (particularly the turtle and the water cloak).

I thought the two remaining elf factions were Tyrion's (rest of high elves) and Malekith's (rest of dark elves). If Teclis still has a "true" faction, the elves will have six, which seems like a lot to me.

More
22 Mar 2018 15:18 #266198 by Mr. White
I'm surprised about the flying fish hubbub I'm reading online.

I'm guessing this army works in the same way an army of skeletons does. How do they move? Spell cast on them/their area allowing them to operate when normally they would be dead still. This usually takes a strong spellcaster...a Necromancer.

Similar thing with Deepkin. A spell cast in the area allowing the creatures to operate where normally they'd flop around. Maybe this spell is even cast by...a Mistweaver.

Seems if we can accept reanimated corpses...it's not too much of a stretch to accept flying fish...

More
22 Mar 2018 15:34 #266200 by Gary Sax
Yeah, it is kind of funny what people find "realistic" in sci fi and fantasy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.318 seconds