October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

New AoS starter "Thunder and Blood"

More
15 Mar 2017 18:11 #245196 by barrowdown
Sounds like a perfect opportunity to release updated Empire/Bretonnian/Clanrats sculpts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2017 18:27 #245199 by Michael Barnes
I've sort of hesitated on getting more Clanrats in particular because I have a feeling they will get a big update soon. Those are some old ass models. I love them, the "arms squished to the torso" style...but they are long in the tooth (har har).

Stormfiends are SOOOOO good. Really awesome models. Would love to see more new Skaven.

More
15 Mar 2017 18:42 #245201 by barrowdown
How many steam-punk air pirate dwarfs are you getting to hold you until this release?

More
15 Mar 2017 18:55 #245202 by Michael Barnes
I'm not that crazy about them actually...they are pretty unique (balloons?!) but I think I'll pass on them. If I took on army #8 it would probably be a Death one.

More
15 Mar 2017 18:59 #245203 by barrowdown
We get the return of Squats... and YOU DON"T WANT ANY?!?

I actually dig the goofiness of them and if I did get into AoS, this would probably be what I would go in for. This leapfrogs my previous choice of Flesh-Eater Courts.

More
15 Mar 2017 20:08 #245207 by Michael Barnes
I have to draw the line somewhere. They were not tall enough to ride.

More
16 Mar 2017 09:18 #245226 by Columbob
Does GW have any stuff made in China? I know it used to be made in the UK only, and I can't see them doing prepainted minis without cheap labour.

More
16 Mar 2017 09:31 - 16 Mar 2017 09:32 #245230 by Michael Barnes
Duncan Rhodes is going to personally paint every figure for it.

Some of their terrain pieces are made in China...the quality is notably lower, too.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2017 09:32 by Michael Barnes.

More
16 Mar 2017 09:53 #245231 by Jackwraith
Having avoided all of the AoS news, since I'm still an 8th Ed. guy (not that I've had the chance to play in the last few years), I'm wondering about the Stormfiends. They look like a combination of Clan Skryre and Clan Moulder.. Size of Rat Ogres, but wielding the machinery of weapon teams. Is this just a way to reintroduce weapon teams as an actually viable option in Skaven armies? What are their stats like?

Side note: Skaven are my all-time favorite Fantasy army (with the possible exception of a kickass Hordes of Chaos Slaanesh force that I won our local league with in resounding fashion; Titillating Delusions, FTW) and despite abandoning my Ratling Guns and Warpfire Throwers as too vulnerable to being charged and because they were move OR fire, I did regularly play with at least one Doomflayer and Poisoned Wind Mortar and occasionally a Warpgrinder for those wonderful moment where you could deposit 40 Night Runners into someone's back line.

More
16 Mar 2017 10:34 - 16 Mar 2017 10:35 #245240 by Michael Barnes
They are in fact keyworded Skryre and Moulder...in the fluff, they are sort of an joint-developed, advanced Rat Ogre but there is a key difference aside from being bigger that you don't see in most pictures because it is on the back of the model. They are "piloted" by these rat-things that have degenerated to being pretty much a symbiotic brain in a decrepit little body in a harness. It's pretty weird!

Performance wise, they are as you surmised effectively more mobile, more resilient platforms for classic Skryre armaments.

On the melee side, you can choose from Doomflayer fists (yes, that's right), shock gauntlets and Warp Grinder fists that give the exact same tunneling effect as a Warp Grinder team.

Ranged options are Ratling Guns, Windlaunchers (just like Poison Wind Mortars) and Warpfire Projectors. The Projectors are especially fearsome- they do 2D3 mortal wounds. No saves- you point, roll, and delete units.

You can mix the weapon types up and in fact you kind of have to since the kit only has A and B options for each of the three models. But you could run a unit of three all with the Projectors if you really wanted to be an asshole. If you have Skryre alliance (I.E. everything has that keyword) you can run these bastards as battleline for game types that have a requirement.

You get six wounds each on them with a 4+ save so they have some staying power.

They are expensive both ways- $50+ for three and 300 points per three model unit. But they are some of the cooler models and they are great to play.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2017 10:35 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
16 Mar 2017 10:50 - 16 Mar 2017 10:52 #245243 by Columbob
Stormfiends were actually introduced in the End Times books. When I first saw them in a picture I went "Woah! Armoured rat ogres carrying warpfire throwers - must be deadly!"

The Skaven (joint Skryre-Moulder project as Mike mentioned) created them specifically to destroy the Dwarfs in their Karaks (in case you were wondering, the Dwarfs get hit really bad in the End Times, but so do the humies and Elves - and let's not mention halflings and snacks in the same breath). There's a sort of homonculus grafted to their back to control their stupidity, rather than the usual packmasters.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2017 10:52 by Columbob.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
18 Mar 2017 10:59 - 18 Mar 2017 11:01 #245339 by Michael Barnes
Another piece of the Shadespire puzzle...on the poster, it says something like "a fast paced game of arena combat."

And..."Core Set".

Further wild-ass predictions...this is Gorechosen MKII. That is by far their best and most "mainstream" game design. It also, out of the box, made people (including our own Colorcrayons) wonder about tooling the game to be about other stuff than Khorne blood-cock fighting. We all said "what if it had other factions?" I bet GW did too.

So I am seeing a $50-$60 core set that comes with two Stormcast and two Khorne Bloodbound champions and a board/playmat. Instead of the stock Gorechosen cards, it will have specific cards for each champion with each of course having unique attacks and abilities.

Expansions will be single figure blisters with the figure and their deck.

Figures will be prepainted. I am sticking to this prediction. They will be lower quality, closer to CMG standards. If I'm wrong, they will at least be single piece or snap fit.

The only thing I'm missing is how they are going to do upgrade cards- this is kind of key to X-Wing's success because it alllows for competitive, bespoke forces.

It will be available through wider distribution- GW just relaxed some of their online retailer restrictions, probably as part of the go to market strategy for Shadespire.
Last edit: 18 Mar 2017 11:01 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
18 Mar 2017 12:50 - 18 Mar 2017 13:09 #245344 by Colorcrayons
God damn. If they finally wised up and made a new game on the Gorechosen system, I'll have to excuse myself to go fap.

Unique decks for each character of 10 or so cards per would be an interesting design choice. When i rethemed Gorechosen, I could see some possibilities there since making them be a catch all thematically was difficult at times.

Pre paints though... I dunno. I know sabers tooth did prepainted for LotR, but saber tooth was bought out by GW after the success of the ccg. I don't know the details about it, but I do know that Steve horvath was a big man with saber tooth who is now employed by FFG, so I'm sure he could shed some light on that era.
Regardless, prepainted might be interesting. But we have to remember that prepainted basically killed rack ham, and that was a shame. I miss AT-43.
Last edit: 18 Mar 2017 13:09 by Colorcrayons.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds