October 09, 2023
2287 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Necromunda: Underhive

More
14 Aug 2017 00:16 - 14 Aug 2017 00:17 #252437 by celticgriffon
Replied by celticgriffon on topic Necromunda: Underhive
A user on yaktribe is estimating the Escher model at 33.8 mm. They are further away from 28mm as ever. This is a very conscious choice by GW; perhaps in another 10 yrs the inquisitor models will seem small.

It started with aos and it will roll over to every system. Let me put things another way... We could both be playing gijoe and having fun. But if you are using 63 era shit and i am using 83 era shit the asthetic is forced.

I probably have over 500 bb figures in my collection. If they would have kept the scale I would have went all in on the new sculpts. It just felt like a big fu instead of thank you.

I will keep playing these games of course.
At least when epic is released at 8mm there should be some killer ebay deals for me.
Last edit: 14 Aug 2017 00:17 by celticgriffon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DukeofChutney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2017 01:20 - 14 Aug 2017 01:20 #252438 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Necromunda: Underhive

Hadik wrote: SW has been fun. I'm disappointed that the game isn't going to get additional support moving forward. We've got five different Kill Teams built with 3 painted and 2 more on the painting block. No reason we can't play, but the new shiny Necromunda will beckon... as will 8th ed.

Question - the one thing that people seem to think isn't quite right with 8th is the cover rules (or lack thereof). Having played SW, cover and hiding is a critical part of the game. If Necromunda is based on 8th, how do you imagine they'll handle it?

Even if they copy it as is, there will be less issue because Necromunda will probably figure-based game (as opposed to unit based game). The current cover rules boohah is caused by two things: people not having big enough terrain (both area & LoS blocking) and GW advocating big units. Really, a maxed out Ork horde at 30 figures can only move for 5 + 3.5 inches on average. Even if you have a big enough terrain, it's quite a hassle to move them ALL into a terrain.

But I suppose the line cover will be back. 40k's all-in cover system is supposed to simplify things (not having a unit with some figures in cover, some not). Not required for Necromunda.
Last edit: 14 Aug 2017 01:20 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadik

More
14 Aug 2017 01:39 #252439 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Necromunda: Underhive

Hadik wrote: SW has been fun. I'm disappointed that the game isn't going to get additional support moving forward. We've got five different Kill Teams built with 3 painted and 2 more on the painting block. No reason we can't play, but the new shiny Necromunda will beckon... as will 8th ed.

Question - the one thing that people seem to think isn't quite right with 8th is the cover rules (or lack thereof). Having played SW, cover and hiding is a critical part of the game. If Necromunda is based on 8th, how do you imagine they'll handle it?

I didn't know there was an issue with cover in 8th. It is handled almost the same way as in AoS, basically you get a +1 to your units' save if they're in cover. It is very simple, like the rest of the rules, but still pretty important. My guess (and I always guess wrong) is that they will keep the old system in new Necromunda, because it just makes more sense for skirmish.

Celtic, I have not bought a single model from the new edition. I have played against the new models, and did not feel like my army was in any way aesthetically inferior. On the other hand, I played AoS with my newer models against some really well-painted older models, and did feel kinda jealous. And I also play against a dude who uses all these Steel Legion metal models (which I think are smaller and definitely less detailed than my cadians), but they still look awesome.
The difference is very noticeable when there're newer and older models in the same army... it just doesn't looks off.

But what would actually piss me off is if the newer models were overpowered against the older ones, kind of like it happens sometimes with CCG cards, but that's not the case (at least not yet). Again, based on AoS, I really-really prefer to play with my skaven army as opposed to a newer and arguably shinier bloodbound. The old rats offer more tactical variety and I like their look better, too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadik

More
14 Aug 2017 01:47 #252440 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Necromunda: Underhive

Sevej wrote: The current cover rules boohah is caused by two things: people not having big enough terrain (both area & LoS blocking) and GW advocating big units. Really, a maxed out Ork horde at 30 figures can only move for 5 + 3.5 inches on average. Even if you have a big enough terrain, it's quite a hassle to move them ALL into a terrain.

Oh, I see the issue now. Haven't faced it yet or heard anyone complain about it, but yeah, games would be very different if units had options to be partially in cover. But then again, it would make the game fiddlier.

More
14 Aug 2017 02:01 #252441 by celticgriffon
Replied by celticgriffon on topic Necromunda: Underhive
I should quit bitching. In a world where everything keeps getting smaller GW is making something bigger.

Necromunda will be great. The campaign system if maintained or made better is what matters. Shine on you crazy diamond.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds