October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk: 40K

More
08 Oct 2017 03:14 #255338 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Let's Talk: 40K
I find it hard to empathize with Tyranid

Oh come now...haven't you ever been hungry? Wanting to reproduce? Mad at a tank? They are really quite astute symbols of he human condition.

I won't have the Codex until Friday but everything I'm seeing is great. They are building in a lot of versatility, and the regiments really mix things up. I'm sticking with Cadia, but man, I want some Catachans.

I'm also looking at the Regimental Advisors...that's a neat-looking little pack. Really like the one-shot, off board attacks. And I have no psykers at all.

The card packs are SUPER useful. I don't have any yet, but I've played with folks that have them. They are very nice...I scoffed at first ("it's all in the book") but having a deck right there with everything is GREAT.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2017 06:07 #255340 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Let's Talk: 40K
I like Tyranids (for the same reason as Barnes'). But sadly it ocupies the same horde slot with Ork, and I find 40k's Ork more interesting.

More
08 Oct 2017 10:42 #255343 by Michael Barnes
They don't have to be a horde, I'm telling you! My army right now:

Swarmlord
Tervigon (with 20 Termagaunts)
Trygon Prime
Carnifex x 3
Tyranid Warriors x 9
Raveners x 3
Maleceptor
Hive Crone
Tyrannocyte
Exocrine

I'll probably add a Tyrannofex and a Haruspex or Venomthropes but that's it. I believe it fills everything for Batallion and it's over 2k. You could take out the Tervigon and it's brood if you didn't want the 20 gaunts and run JUST medium/large units.

In avoided them because I didn't want a horde myself. But I studied the index and saw that you can do it big.

The only thing is that number of models affects objective control. So if you don't do the gaunts, you have to rely on just killing everything. But you've got some NASTY tools to do that with including some hard-hitting deepstrike with the Trygon/warriors combo, the Raveners with Spinefists (they get like 13 attacks each), and the Tyrannocyte. I've got Armor busting, I've got crowd control...and the Maleceptor is a pretty decent and durable psyker. Synapse is WELL covered across the field.

More
08 Oct 2017 14:01 #255345 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Let's Talk: 40K
I don't think Orks are anything like Tyranids, at least from personality perspective. I found Orks to be supremely silly, until actually painting a batch. They reminded me a lot of contemporary African guerillas/warbands (watch the excellent Dark of the Sun, and not so excellent but still pretty evocative Beasts of No Nation). Their motivations are oversimplified by 40K fluff (but so are those of every other faction, and you can work it out by weaving your own narrative into the army you're building)

Barnes, what you say about Tyranids is hilarious and spot-on. I've played a lot of Strarcraft back in the day, and I feel that Zerg somehow tapped into my primal instincts despite being so alien. What puts me off about them (in particular, building their army) is the hive-structured "society". Their units are all mindless drones, without any personality to speak of. Regardless, I've decided to go back to my Lost Patrol genestealers and try to paint a couple again, see if I get into the groove. Thing is, they are so different from the rest of the factions in terms of painting, too (no clothing, no metallics, no belts/straps), it might be very refreshing to work on them.
I like the idea of Tyrazilla army... but my experience is that no list survives a battle encounter intact. You'll probably want to take out some models, and add others.

More
08 Oct 2017 18:53 #255356 by Brewmiester
Replied by Brewmiester on topic Let's Talk: 40K
Has anyone looked at the Ynnari at all? Our local shop is starting an escalation league and I was looking for suggestions for a starting 500 pt force.

More
08 Oct 2017 21:04 #255359 by Sevej
Yeah, I know about Nidzilla, but really when I think about Nids, I think about the endless bugs of Starship Troopers and xenomorphs on Aliens.

BTW, about the new GW kits, the "multi part plastic kit" stuff. I've noticed that for the most part, they're monopose, and each legs belong to a specific torso. Is this true? I noticed this on the AoS kits, and newer kits such as Primaris & Deathguard.

More
08 Oct 2017 21:16 #255361 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, there is virtually no posability. You can swap heads and weapons, but that's about it. Some have accessories you can add, all the Primaris have pouches, knives, grenades and so forth.

I'm fine with it, I'm not as into modding or anything and I like the extra detail you get in exchange for static poses.

I'd say the DG stuff is more fixed than anything else, and between the Starter set, the push fit set, the Plague Bretheren three pack, the upcoming Plague Marine box, the champion and the Icon bearer you have like 22 completely unique sculpts. Every one is different.

More
09 Oct 2017 14:08 #255380 by Vlad
Talking about models... I read that GW is preparing more female models, possibly for IG, and they're apparently ditching "boobs armour". There're some illustrations in the new Codex that kinda support that. Also, I haven't looked up close to the fem-stormcast in Blighttown, but she looked cool.
I'm bringing this up because I've been painting Greyfax for about a month now (not more than a few minutes at a time). It is an exquisite model, and I really want to give it my best. But she has a boobs-armor and power-armored-heels. I thought I wouldn't mind, but the more I paint her, the more I do. It just doesn't make any sense, from any practical perspective. And aesthetically it also feels completely wrong. Just for the record, I am not for banning any sexualizaton - it fits well with dark elves, for example. But completely out of place for an inquisitor.
I feel like 5,10,20 years from now people will look at this miniature and think what a bunch of chauvinistic morons we were, the same way I feel when watching Mad Men.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Oct 2017 15:44 #255385 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Let's Talk: 40K
Are the Space Hulk 3rd/4th ed models to scale with 40k or are they their own unique thing?

If I bought Space Hulk and some Tau would the Tau models be too small?

More
09 Oct 2017 15:45 #255386 by Michael Barnes
The whole "male fantasy" thing is just so tired, lame and tacky. People love the Frank Frazetta stuff and all of that, but seriously, the naked girls sprawled on the altar with their boobs spilling out all over the place and the giant man's man saving her from rapist savages...that shit is so tacky. It's crude, unsophisticated, and frankly really fucking lame. It's embarrassing and vulgar. So is all of the Red Scorpion/Booberella shit that is in games. GW has been mostly (but not completely) good about avoiding that, mainly by all but completely excluding women in their representations. Sisters of Battle get sort of hootery. The Slaanesh stuff...well, at least it's thematic, but I think it's very telling that GW has all but shied away from promoting Slaanesh. Because what do you do with that? I guess you make it more abstract, more about excess and hedonism or something.

I've seen the new illustrations of female guard- they look awesome! Would love to see models of them, and I would definitely add them to my collection.

The lady Stormcast is great- a really cool figure (and a total beast in play). There's another coming with Shadespire.

Now if they can stop making it all about white folks...there is at least one dark-skinned Poxwalker in the DG codex...

More
09 Oct 2017 15:52 #255387 by Mr. White

Mr. White wrote: Are the Space Hulk 3rd/4th ed models to scale with 40k or are they their own unique thing?

If the SH terminators are to scale 40k terminators...it seems the Tau stealth battlesuit units could simply be subbed in as termies. seem to be the same size.

More
09 Oct 2017 15:53 #255388 by Mr. White
Both the AoS female eternals appear very well done.

More
09 Oct 2017 18:56 #255402 by Vlad

Mr. White wrote: Are the Space Hulk 3rd/4th ed models to scale with 40k or are they their own unique thing?

No. I mean, yes, but not really. It's like using old skaven with the new AoS. They are smaller, but because it is different species it isn't noticeable.

More
09 Oct 2017 19:04 #255403 by Michael Barnes
There is definitely a scale bump going on so be advised. Some things are REALLY affected, some aren't. Skaven are fine compared to Stormcasts, but old WHFB skeleton kits are WAY small now. Space Marines in general now look really little compared to Primaris or Dearh Guard. Orks too. But IG and Tyranids look fine- IG should be smaller (about 2 feet) than SMs and they look right now. Tyranids are generally larger than humans anyway. But yeah, Tau and Eldar look puny these days. It's only noticeable if you are up against new models though. I played a dude a couple of weeks ago that had Tau, and my Primaris towered over them.

There's always weird scale stuff though, like how 10 marines are supposed to fit in a Rhino clown car. Even with the new kits, the sarcophagus on the Dreadnaught is WAY too small for a Primaris marine.

More
09 Oct 2017 19:25 - 09 Oct 2017 19:30 #255405 by Sevej
Well they only have to fit a head and maybe a torso...

I find painting Ork is very rewarding, and actually quite fast. Especially if you go the Goff route. I avoided edging for the most part (just quick ones on the shirt edges), and the most time consuming part is actually the most fun part: the green skin. I use simple 3 layer, very basic green and they just look stunning. Making everything else drab (a lot of black, brown straps, and metals) really helps the green comesout.

I wish I had more boys to paint. Alas, my cheap local source is depleted.
Last edit: 09 Oct 2017 19:30 by Sevej.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds