October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Let's Talk Pokemon

More
01 Jul 2013 15:56 #155526 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re: Let's Talk Pokemon

Jeff White wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: By the way I think the duplicate card limit is four. Variations on the same pokemon count as dupes. I can't imagine your prefab decks don't have dupes.

So if I have three Basic versions of Turtwig and a Stage 1 (when he turns into Grotle) that's essentially 4 variations of the same pokemon? Or do you mean variations as in that powerful basic and the foil version of the same card being two variations?

If it's the latter, I'm assuming I can use 4 Turtwigs and 4 Grotles.

It's been years since I've played Pokemon so I'm completely unfamiliar with Turtwig, but I imagine he's like Squirtle. Anyways, I think Sag means there are different versions of the same Pokemon in different sets, that have some different stats. So 2 Squirtles from Set A and 2 Squirtles from Set B hit your 4 card limit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2013 18:46 #155546 by SebastianBludd

metalface13 wrote: So 2 Squirtles from Set A and 2 Squirtles from Set B hit your 4 card limit.

I believe that's correct, you go by the name on the card. Same name = same pokemon, for deckbuilding purposes. "Dark Raichu" =/= "Raichu" and "Tentacruel" =/= "Misty's Tentacruel," for instance. I try to get most of my cards from thrifting and there are certain pokemon that I've seen several versions of (different powers, usually) between different sets.

More
02 Jul 2013 01:00 #155557 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Let's Talk Pokemon
All are correct. It's very common to have four Turtwigs, three Grotles, and two Torterras in order to better your shot at evolving. It's based on the named Pokemon and some cards for the same critter can be very different. There's an old Turtwig that heals that's absoulutely brutal to play against, dates back to the nineties I think.

S.

More
03 Jul 2013 01:43 #155647 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Let's Talk Pokemon
Alright, it looks like I may have a problem.

We bought two starters for PlasmaStorm. From looking at Target today, it looks like the current line may be PlasmaFreeze. I didn't see any PlasmaStorm boosters. When we go to the store to buy a booster at the end of the month, there won't be any PlasmaStorm to buy.

I guess this isn't a big deal, but buying from PlasmaFreeze means (I think) we won't be landing any later stage pokemon that go with the ones in our PlasmaStorm set. (also, the boy won't be able to check off the checklist of PlasmaStorm pokemon). I suppose I can order PlasmaStorm online, but that kinda takes the point of this being a joint hobby of driving down to the store and buying a pack.

Am I overthinking this? Are the PlasmaFreeze cards fine (and have some of the same pokemon) Should we buy a PlasmaFreeze starter to get over this hump?

As you can tell, I'm not super hip to the whole TCG/CCG/LCG thing. The only one I've bought into was Shadowrun which closed shop after the first expansion, so I never had to deal with this.

Thanks!

More
03 Jul 2013 03:53 #155667 by Sagrilarus
You'll be fine either wy, but I wouldn't rule out buying a box of boosters for $100 from Cool Stuff and using them as payment for your boy doing his chores, getting good grades, etc. You can reward yourself the same as an example. It will have more impact than rewarding him in dollars

S.

More
03 Jul 2013 11:51 #155693 by Mr. White
Hmmm...$100 is a bit more than I had in mind going into this venture. I was thinking a booster a month or so...well, over time it'll go over $100 I suppose. The advantage here is I think there's also opportunity for lessons in restraint. I think he'd be good buying one or two boosters and saving the rest of his money (he seems to average about $15-20 a month).

How often to these sets overturn? Is this something where we have to buy in heavily every other month to keep up otherwise we'll have pokemon that won't evolve? And in regards to the boosters, of the eight cards is there a complete basic<stage1<stage2 set of a creature? I'm guessing not.

More
03 Jul 2013 12:10 - 03 Jul 2013 12:10 #155696 by Sagrilarus
It used to be once a year and your old stuff stayed relevant but that all chamged in 2013. They're in the middle of a massive power build and they're rolling sets in months. So I can't give you a lot of insight there. Option 2 would be to buy pre-2012 stuff in yard sales and play happy for years for $35.

S.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2013 12:10 by Sagrilarus.

More
03 Jul 2013 12:13 #155697 by Mr. White
Sounds like we're coming in on this at the wrong time. Any idea why the change in release schedule? I mean is there something else here besides cash grab?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.295 seconds