October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

MuMu's Magic Meducation

More
26 Aug 2013 15:01 #159490 by Black Barney
yeah, with the limited card pool available to Chant (this green ramp Eldrazi deck), Sporemound just didn't make sense. It was getting in the way of one of the two objectives of the deck: ramping, then winning. You only needed a few stall cards and All is Dust and Entangle handle that just fine.

I love Faith's Fetters as well (they have it in the Sliver deck and they are ESSENTIAL in that build, just like the Pacifisms in the Guardians of Light aura deck) but these Gladehearts are trash. What do they cost? 2 or 3? You always woudl rather be playing Explores, Rampant Growths and those land fetch Elves. There's just no room for them in the plan. Avenger of Zendikar is the only landfall that makes sense in this deck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2013 15:49 #159493 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: MuMu's Magic Meducation

Black Barney wrote: yeah, with the limited card pool available to Chant (this green ramp Eldrazi deck), Sporemound just didn't make sense. It was getting in the way of one of the two objectives of the deck: ramping, then winning. You only needed a few stall cards and All is Dust and Entangle handle that just fine.

I love Faith's Fetters as well (they have it in the Sliver deck and they are ESSENTIAL in that build, just like the Pacifisms in the Guardians of Light aura deck) but these Gladehearts are trash. What do they cost? 2 or 3? You always woudl rather be playing Explores, Rampant Growths and those land fetch Elves. There's just no room for them in the plan. Avenger of Zendikar is the only landfall that makes sense in this deck.

We can disagree! It's allowed! That's what's fuin about Magic--even with the confines of these 50 cards or so we can have disagreements and both be right.

I think we can all agree on why Rampant Growth instead of Nature's Lore? Because then it would be far too powerful.

More
26 Aug 2013 16:22 #159497 by Black Barney
yeah you're right, i shouldn't be so binary about it.

I don't think Nature's Lore is even in that deck, ya?

More
26 Aug 2013 17:52 #159510 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: MuMu's Magic Meducation

Black Barney wrote: yeah you're right, i shouldn't be so binary about it.

I don't think Nature's Lore is even in that deck, ya?

It's not, but why not? It's strictly better than Rampant Growth in a deck with only Forests. I think they swapped it out to give players a sense of frustration when deck-building. They show you Nature's Lore in the other green deck, so you know it's there--same CC, same Sorcery speed, but with comes into play instead of comes into play tapped. Yeah Rampant Growth can access any basic land, but there's only Forests in this deck! I frown every time I cast it.

More
26 Aug 2013 19:12 #159526 by Black Barney
ugh, Rampant Growth can't even fetch that Eldrazi land, you're right. I use Titan to fetch that if I haven't drawn it yet.

THe ramp spells are really spread out aren't they? They have Exploration in the Dragonmancer deck, they have Cultivate in the Sliver deck (I think). What a weird mix.

More
17 Sep 2013 23:27 #161250 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I have been playing a lot, and have unlocked all the cards for 7 of the 10 decks (haven't played Masks of the Dimir, the silver hive, or the Dracomancer deck). A couple of the decks just never clicked with me (the red Firewave deck and the black Deathwalkers deck), and I find that my deckbuilding skill level has peaked. I just remove pretty much all the expensive cards and try to keep a good number of creatures.

I can't seem to work out how to determine the killer cards in each deck, and how to structure the deck around them. I suspect that is something that you can't be taught and just have to keep playing and playing until it all starts to become clear (I don't know if it is just me, but the white cards seem to be the most powerful in this set).

More
18 Sep 2013 02:25 #161259 by bioball
Replied by bioball on topic Re: MuMu's Magic Meducation
Certainly keep the deck's cheap will help alway keep them running. But the key to maximizing each deck in Duels is figuring out what that deck want to do and cutting all the fat until it runs lean.

What a deck wants to do could be anything from a single card (Blue/Green big creature deck looking to land Lorthos the Tidemaster) into play or a set of cards into play (A shit ton of Slivers- played in the correct order). The deck's thing could also be a way of playing (e.g. mono Black discard).

Focus in on that and build around the goal, that is not always going to be throwing out the most expensive cards, but sometimes adding in cards that keep you going up until that climax.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds